Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, can anyone help, does my sat nav play dvds???? ive have put a dvd in to try it and it does not work,
is there somethink i have to turn on in settings????? i also have a iphone 4 but dont want to go the messing with cables way to play video, can anyone help.......

·
Registered
536 Posts
It plays DVD disks (dual layer discs) but not the DVD format. So you can put tonnes on music on a disk and I THINK mp4 and other video files just not DVD videos. Sorry. And the Bluetooth should work with your iPhone although when I use mine the track changes but doesn't change the name on the sat nav screen.

·
Registered
140 Posts
One of the reasons you hate your Sportage is because of your Sat Nav ??

Didn't you know what you were buying ??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love the car. But had it 2 months and problems from day one. First the damp in both headlamp- kia garage said they fitted new rubbers? But still has damp. Kia still talking about it. Then the boot light was not working. fault with lock switch. Fixed. On one night lamp on all night battery flat. Then the sat nav problems with iphone. This is my first new car. U would not think u would have any of these problems with a new car.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Trust me it's not the car.... It's your iPhone. I've got the 4 & wife has blackberry. Hers linked up perfect..mine was a complete pain in the arse. Still have to manually serch for the car every time I get in. Can't wait for an upgrade so I can be rid. Believe it or not my iPad2 links up first time every time and sound quality is a damn site better. As for DVD's on the head unit. You can't drive and watch so there's not much need for it. Like I said above I put all my music on a DVD disk. 84 albums in total and don't even bother messing around with my phone anymore. Personally I want to know everything about a car before I hand over a penny. Even down to ringing up dealers miles away for a quote on a clutch replacement and quotes on tires before I buy it to know what my running costs will be. Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I was similarly sceptical about the value of a DVD player until we were delayed several hours on the French side of the Channel tunnel last winter. Watching a comedy film made the wait bearable.

I've just fitted an aftermarket sat nav unit to Mrs T's Sportage and I'm pretty pleased with it. It plays DVDs, iPod video, and DTV (with a decent signal). The nav part does full post code searches too.

Well worth the £150 I paid for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But thats what i cant understand why kia never made it to play dvds. Like u said if u travel far and get stuck a least you have somethink to do.. Looks like aftermarket dvd players for me then. And by the way i did look at what i would get before i ordered.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The reason is DVD disks can be made relatively cheap and the licensing to make them is pittance. On the other hand using the DVD format for producers of pc's DVD players ect have to pay for a licence. Sony, Philips, Toshiba and Matsush*ta co-developed DVD and ask for a lot of money. It's one of the reason the Wii can't play DVD's. Phillips even built a special GameCube under licence from Nintendo that could play DVD's. So it's not the hardware that's the problem..it reads dvd disks...it's the software....and I'm 99% sure you can have the head unit hacked/modded to allow it to play films. Try checking YouTube. But I seriously doubt it's Kia that produce the head units. Something like that will most definetly be designed and build by a sub contractor. I'll be surprised if they do make them.

Also I've noticed a manufactures name has been * star'd due to swearing..which if funny as when I have written G O L F. On another thread it pops up SPAM.... Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
jamie_AVFC said:
But thats what i cant understand why kia never made it to play dvds. Like u said if u travel far and get stuck a least you have somethink to do.. Looks like aftermarket dvd players for me then. And by the way i did look at what i would get before i ordered.

If you are thinking of fitting an aftermarket nav unit to a Sportage fitted with the factory nav unit, be aware that the wiring connectors are completely different to the non nav vehicles so most won't fit. Also, the power amp is incompatible too.

In the near future, somebody may produce lock-pick for the factory unit that will give full DVD functionality. I think the OS is Windows CE so it shouldn't be too hard.

·
Registered
844 Posts
RichieD76 said:
It plays DVD disks (dual layer discs) but not the DVD format. So you can put tonnes on music on a disk and I THINK mp4 and other video files just not DVD videos. Sorry. And the Bluetooth should work with your iPhone although when I use mine the track changes but doesn't change the name on the sat nav screen.

Ritchie thinks it will play mp4 and other video files does anyone know if it actually does

·
Registered
536 Posts
Well I've got it to play AVI and QuickTime clips upto about 50mb files from DVD. And it does play mp3 for sure. Mp4 was strange. Played the sound/music fine but the screen was the very first frame of the video content. As though it thought the video content was the album or song cover. Funny it plays QuickTime and not MP4 though as windows ce usually had the capability. Why the hell it plays QuickTime (apples baby) I don't know! Maybe part of the iPod/iPad/iPhone integration software.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Ritchie ,interestinghow did you get it to play AVI and MOV clips what do you select on the Sat/Nav unit and was this of a ipod or a DVD disc

·
Registered
65 Posts
wow www glad i got the 2 speck filled a memory stick with all my albums, or listen and learn with radio 4 simple.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree with you about being stuck somewhere in the car with time to kill....sounds good...could i ask you what make/models it is and where i could buy it..also does it hook up to a dongle for wireless internet?
I have the cdti 1 without it and was toying with the idea of fitting one. Ive had a snoop around and they look pretty easy to fit..even for a novice like me (he said) thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
I stand to be corrected but does any motor manufacturer install a sat nav unit which can play video dvds that can be viewed by the driver? Surely this is a safety issue. I've only seen built in units viewable from the back seats. If I needed to kill time then I'd buy a portable DVD player and keep it in the glove box

·
Registered
443 Posts
Reg 109 Con & Use Regs 1986

Television sets

109. (1) No person shall drive, or cause or permit to be driven, a motor vehicle on a road, if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television receiving apparatus or other cinematographic apparatus used to display anything other than information""”

(a) about the state of the vehicle or its equipment;

(b) about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;

(c) to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle; or

(d) to assist the driver to reach his destination.

(2) In this regulation ""television receiving apparatus""� means any cathode ray tube carried on a vehicle and on which there can be displayed an image derived from a television broadcast, a recording or a camera or computer.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
oldgit said:
I stand to be corrected but does any motor manufacturer install a sat nav unit which can play video dvds that can be viewed by the driver?
My Chryser does... as long as the parking brake is set.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Spent a long time with the KX3 getting AVI to play over the Sat nav did eventually manage it using a flash drive and various tricks talked about in old threads on this forum. Once I did get it to work never ever bothered with it again- funny eh

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Range Rover have a fancy screen whereby the passenger can view TV/DVD & the driver can see the Sat Nav only on the same screen.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts