Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a 2017 CRDI 4 and the sat nav is baffling me! Hope some fellow owners can advise:

1) The sat nav seems to know about traffic issues, temporary speed limits etc. I’m not hotspotting my phone to the unit - how does it know?? It seems pretty reliable.

2) Route advice seems setup to avoid major roads. It’s often sending me cross-country. I’m sure these are the most direct routes on paper but in real life the single track lane I’m driving down (speed limit 60) is very slow going - slowing right down for all corners, reversing when meeting something coming the other way, getting stuck behind tractors etc. I’ve tested it on a couple of routes I’m familiar with and using A roads significantly reduces the travel time. And the stress. Any way to tell it to use major roads?

·
Super Moderator
3,416 Posts
1) Some traffic information is delivered via your radios RDS on the traffic management channel (TMC), there is a thread on that subject HERE. In particular I would recommend reading the post at #17 of that thread. Also your car is equipped with a speed limit sign camera, which reads speed limit signs and displays them on the instrument cluster. This also can override the sat nav speed limit.
2) See below:- (Note, this is from the 2017 Media Guide and there may be differences if your software has been updated.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) Some traffic information is delivered via your radios RDS on the traffic management channel (TMC), there is a thread on that subject HERE. In particular I would recommend reading the post at #17 of that thread. Also your car is equipped with a speed limit sign camera, which reads speed limit signs and displays them on the instrument cluster. This also can override the sat nav speed limit.
2) See below:- (Note, this is from the 2017 Media Guide and there may be differences if your software has been updated.
Thank-you! Very helpful, especially the bit about how the sat nav picks up traffic info. Didn’t know there was a traffic service over radio that satnavs could hook into. Sounds like there’s additional services available if you hotspot. I have tried both fast and shortest options on the sat nav but I’ll keep playing and see if there’s any improvement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.