Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I’ve got a 2004 Picanto with corrosion on the roof right at the back.

anyone else had this? Seems a strange location have rust !

Any tips on repairing myself / getting a good paint match?

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,391 Posts
If that's at the hatchback end of the roof my money will be on a bike rack as the cause. The quality of the fix will depend on how much you want to spend, how much the car is worth to you, and how long do you want to keep it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response - yes most likely a bike rack from the previous owner. It’s used as a motorhome tow car so want to spears as little as possible and do the repair myself

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,391 Posts
want to spears as little as possible and do the repair myself
It will just mean cleaning the affected area back to metal (with a dremel or similar), coating with a good rust killer/preventative, priming and top coating.
The positives are 1) it's in an area that won't be too noticeable so you won't need a pristine finish. 2) it's easy to get at and will not need trim removing. 3) It has a good angled edge to work to 4) Easy to mask off. 5) Should be cheap if you do it yourself but it depends on if the original colour is still available in a spray can.
There should be several You Tube videos on how to achieve an acceptable finish.

I have the tailgate (where the number plate lights are) on my 2010 Skoda Fabia to do soon. It's known issue with them...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.