Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After more than 1 year owning the XCeed, the calipers looks like in the photo.

The calipers oxidize, not rust, so where did the rust come from?

Kitchen utensil Tableware Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
382 Posts
The pattern of the rust appears to me at least to indicate that some sort of chemical has reacted with the (weak OEM) coating used on calipers. Even the iron remover I used (Gyeon) seemed to impair the OEM finish on my calipers but I did not worry since the brake dust ruined them far more!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pattern of the rust appears to me at least to indicate that some sort of chemical has reacted with the (weak OEM) coating used on calipers. Even the iron remover I used (Gyeon) seemed to impair the OEM finish on my calipers but I did not worry since the brake dust ruined them far more!
So it is related to Iron Remover, I'm using the one from Sonax.
Is there any way to remove (maybe chemically) that rust stains?

·
Registered
2022 Ceed GT line 1.5TGDI - Fusion Orange
585 Posts
I’d say you’ve let it dry by accident on them or not rinsed well enough. You could use an iron fall out remover again, brush then rinse thoroughly. Best bet would be to get some paint on them afterwards as frustrating as that is.

·
Registered
2020 Xceed 1.4T Edition 1
14 Posts
I own a 2020 Xceed edition one,my calipers have no rust on them at all because I don't let these acid throwing back street car wash merchants clean my car I clean it myself.All I use is a quality car shampoo,I never use these special alloy wheel cleaners,most contain some form of acid,it works for me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Guys don't use any wheel cleaners - no matter acid or pH neutral - they all contain extremely strong metal reactive agents and cause the surface of the calipers to rust. And you can't rinse it enough - the cleaner gets stuck between the pad and caliper and just keeps on reacting with metalic particles. Just use regular or even better an alkaline car shampoo and agitate the dirt with microfiber mitt. That's what I do and I never had a, rusting calipers problems since. I threw away all that wheel cleaner crap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts