Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Air RWD
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having already worked on a system allowing the EV6 to run a house whenever at home using an automatic load switch to run from car on plugging it in,. Now wanted to see what was the cheapest way of having whole house power available for odd times usage such as a powercut, rather than having to run extension leads into house for each device.

In this situation there is a 7kw charger on the front of the house that feeds back to its own breaker then into the consumer unit..

Total Cost for this install was £10 for the Commando Adaptors needed to wire into the charger power box.

The other bonus of this system is that the EV6 can supply 3kw to the type 2 charger so you can plug another EV into the 7kw charger and as long as you limit it to 3kw it will charge at 3kw from the EV6 battery..

First Step All Power to house turned off at consumer unit

Opened the EV Chargepoint Power box and wired in a Commando Socket (Excuse the open wiring photo was taken before it was all resealed up)

Tire Automotive tire Light Plant Garden hose

This feeds back to the Breaker for the Charger that then feeds into the Consumer Unit.

Electrical wiring Gas Office equipment Machine Electronic device

Now when the Breakers in the Consumer Unit are down and power to the house is disconnected the house fully runs from the EV6 battery plugged into the house via the V2L and the Commando Lead

NOTE : HOUSE POWER MUST BE OFF WHEN YOU SWITCH ON THE CAR. or the car detects there is mains flowing and gives a V2L Conditions Not Met Error

Limit is just over 3k so plenty of power for normal stuff, Runs over with TV Computer and Lights etc on.

Just need to remember not to Run Kettle Coffee Machine over Induction Hob etc all at same time.

Sky Car Vehicle Wheel Tire

Plant Waste container Road surface Waste containment Asphalt

GRID DRAW 0w as Power to house disabled

Television set Electronic instrument Television Audio equipment Flat panel display

RUNNING LOAD With TV, PC< Some Light, Fridge, Freezer etc 0.4Kw

Font Gadget Tints and shades Electric blue Circle

With Oven and some other bits on 2.7Kw (Didnt push it any more than that)

Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gadget

Over a 3 hour test it used 1% Battery from 100% to 99%

So for someone who wants an emergency supply and does not want to go to the fuss of putting in Automatic Load Switching and Generator Sockets this is a cheap and chearful way to supply the house in an emergency powercut. (Or Zombie Apocalypse)

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Air RWD
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just neatened the input to the house,

Vicky has been instructed its Baseload plus TV + Computer + Lights + Fridge Freezer... PLUS ONE APPLIANCE

Oven, Washer, Dryer, Kettle etc. She tried to ignore me and used Kettle and Toaster resulting in having to go out to the charge flap and restart the adaptor.. So now its a case of when the Electricity goes up to 31p at end of April she will be limited to using the night time electricity stored in the car for Laundry...

Plant Automotive tire Garden hose Houseplant Flowerpot

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just neatened the input to the house,

Vicky has been instructed its Baseload plus TV + Computer + Lights + Fridge Freezer... PLUS ONE APPLIANCE

Oven, Washer, Dryer, Kettle etc. She tried to ignore me and used Kettle and Toaster resulting in having to go out to the charge flap and restart the adaptor.. So now its a case of when the Electricity goes up to 31p at end of April she will be limited to using the night time electricity stored in the car for Laundry...

View attachment 14706
Just the thing i would love to do with mine.Trouble is i have the complication of a Solar Install as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice idea. Have you got an isolator fitted to ensure the EV6 doesn't electrocute whoever is trying to fix the supply, and what have you done about earthing?
I'll probably do something similar -it might fool my solar/battery system in to carrying on working when mains is down

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Air RWD
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice idea. Have you got an isolator fitted to ensure the EV6 doesn't electrocute whoever is trying to fix the supply, and what have you done about earthing?
I'll probably do something similar -it might fool my solar/battery system in to carrying on working when mains is down
yea the EV6 won’t even start to supply unless the mains is isolated it comes up with a warning on the car sceen supply conditions not met. Then when you isolate the mains it’s starts the supply

and we are in an old 1930s house with grounding via the water supply pipe into the earth under house

·
Registered
2 Posts
interesting, I didn't think a water supply was acceptable earth post 1966 but your consumer unit is clearly more modern than that. That said my understanding is based on looking things up for this sort of thing, not being an electrician.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Air RWD
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
interesting, I didn't think a water supply was acceptable earth post 1966 but your consumer unit is clearly more modern than that. That said my understanding is based on looking things up for this sort of thing, not being an electrician.
Not sure we moved in 15 years ago and CU was already in like that only thing added since then are the isolator and a smart meter

western Power checked it all over a year or so ago when unlooping supply as Neighbour got an EV

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
476 Posts
Do you get many power cuts? I think I've had about 2 since moving in 20 years ago for about an hour a time.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Air RWD
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you get many power cuts? I think I've had about 2 since moving in 20 years ago for about an hour a time.
Myra we are fairly rural and when an overhead comes down it can be off for a while

also when day rate is 31p and night rateis 7p. Can load shift washing machine during the day to the car and use the stored night rate power

·
Registered
Order: EV6 GT Line S in Runway Red with heat pump (26 Mar 22) Delivery: not even God knows …☹️)
3 Posts
yea the EV6 won’t even start to supply unless the mains is isolated it comes up with a warning on the car sceen supply conditions not met. Then when you isolate the mains it’s starts the supply
The problem is that when there’s a mains outage, there won’t be any mains for the car to warn about so it starts supplying mains quite happily. Then the poor sod who has dug the road up to repair the broken cable picks up the ‘dead‘ end from the load and gets hit with your 220 volts ….

That’s why all Solar systems shut down on loss of incoming voltage and won’t generate until they’ve seen a stable incoming voltage for several minutes.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Air RWD
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You don’t understand

if you plug it in with mains in it will error out

you need to switch off the mains and then plug in the car and press the start button in the adaptor. That won’t work until the mains is off

so there is no way the car can be plugged in and just start on its own with the mains on

·
Registered
201 Posts
You don’t understand

if you plug it in with mains in it will error out

you need to switch off the mains and then plug in the car and press the start button in the adaptor. That won’t work until the mains is off

so there is no way the car can be plugged in and just start on its own with the mains on
But in the example given the mains supply to the house had failed. So surely the V2L would then deliver power to the property and - if the CU isolator has been left on - a feed coming from the property into the DNO network that would be unexpected and possibly lethal to somebody attempting a repair.

Additionally, if the power cut has come about due to an open PEN fault then the house earthing (and car) could easily become raised to (near) mains potential.

What you have done would not be compliant with wiring regs and is almost certainly illegal. At the very least you should fit a changeover type isolator to select which electrical source is feeding your CU to ensure that you cannot possibly provide a backfeed into the street wiring. At least then all the risks would only be to you and your family.

Reactions: Wybrook

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Air RWD
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But in the example given the mains supply to the house had failed. So surely the V2L would then deliver power to the property and - if the CU isolator has been left on - a feed coming from the property into the DNO network that would be unexpected and possibly lethal to somebody attempting a repair.

Additionally, if the power cut has come about due to an open PEN fault then the house earthing (and car) could easily become raised to (near) mains potential.

What you have done would not be compliant with wiring regs and is almost certainly illegal. At the very least you should fit a changeover type isolator to select which electrical source is feeding your CU to ensure that you cannot possibly provide a backfeed into the street wiring. At least then all the risks would only be to you and your family.
But it feeds through an isolator switch. So mains is isolated when the feed from the car is switched on

·
Registered
201 Posts
But it feeds through an isolator switch. So mains is isolated when the feed from the car is switched on
But you always need to remember to throw that isolater during a power outage before running V2L to your CU, and human memory isn't failsafe in any way! What have you got against installing a changeover switch (break-before-make) in the CU feed to actually ensure that backfeeding into the DNO (outside) supply becomes virtually impossible? Your modification would still be non-compliant with the wiring regs but at least you'd not be risking killing someone repairing the cause of the power outage.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 GT Line-S AWD in Black, no heat pump
32 Posts

and we are in an old 1930s house with grounding via the water supply pipe into the earth under house
The problem is that when there’s a mains outage, there won’t be any mains for the car to warn about so it starts supplying mains quite happily. Then the poor sod who has dug the road up to repair the broken cable picks up the ‘dead‘ end from the load and gets hit with your 220 volts ….

That’s why all Solar systems shut down on loss of incoming voltage and won’t generate until they’ve seen a stable incoming voltage for several minutes.
It's good to know the EV6 throws an error if the grid is connected as well. There is another safety issue here. The EV6 does not have the ability to match the phase. UK main is 50Hz AC so in theory if you were out of phase you devices might be getting 420volts and you will damage stuff.. A solar inverter matches the phase and the voltage to deal with grid and local small variations. You should be VERY careful to ensure your grid service is isolated before doing this. There are "boxes" that do this. I think Tesla do one for the firewall which switches over in about one cycle.

I'm not sure I would want to reply on the car avoiding this as you might randomly be close to the phase match but enough to cause safety issues. So take great care isolating first. All I can say is I'm very glad you tried this and not me. I think I might look for a isolation switch. I wouldn't tell your DNO either!! :)

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,475 Posts
As I read the circuit/connection description this way of connecting is against all the Regs. As a minimum the connection must be through a changeover contactor installed so that the incoming mains supply is disconnected from the domestic wiring before the standby supply is connected. Just relying on switching off at the Consumer Unit isolator is not acceptable. Indeed if you do connect in this way and forget to switch the incoming supply off at the CU then you will end up powering the street.

I'm also not sure where the ground connection will be referenced to unless you install a ground rod system. Use of water pipes is no longer accepted due to the quantity of plastic pipe now in use in the water distribution system.

On a side note all changes to wiring of this nature should be done by an electrician to the regs and also notified to the Council.

Reactions: Zebster

·
Registered
Kia EV6 Air RWD
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
As I read the circuit/connection description this way of connecting is against all the Regs. As a minimum the connection must be through a changeover contactor installed so that the incoming mains supply is disconnected from the domestic wiring before the standby supply is connected. Just relying on switching off at the Consumer Unit isolator is not acceptable. Indeed if you do connect in this way and forget to switch the incoming supply off at the CU then you will end up powering the street.

I'm also not sure where the ground connection will be referenced to unless you install a ground rod system. Use of water pipes is no longer accepted due to the quantity of plastic pipe now in use in the water distribution system.

On a side note all changes to wiring of this nature should be done by an electrician to the regs and also notified to the Council.
how many more times does it need to be said

you can’t power the street as the adaptor in the car will not switch on if it detects mains and shuts down if it detects mains while in use

anyway all mute now as was dissembled after test

perm system is the car feeding into a hybrid inverter with the car feeding the inverter Generator input this can provide 3.5kw to supliment solar etc

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,475 Posts
how many more times does it need to be said

you can’t power the street as the adaptor in the car will not switch on if it detects mains and shuts down if it detects mains while in use

anyway all mute now as was dissembled after test

perm system is the car feeding into a hybrid inverter with the car feeding the inverter Generator input this can provide 3.5kw to supliment solar etc
It has to be said because in your scenario, (powering your house when there is a power cut), If your main circuit breaker is not off you will power through your CU and the street DNO cables for as long as the power cut lasts, and risk injuring DNO staff who may be working on the DNO cabling. I would have thought that was obvious.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts