Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I need to run power from the engine bay to the boot of the car minimum of 25A, but unable to find a spare grommet in the engine bay through the firewall, can anyone help? Or know of a safe space to drill a hole in the firewall?
Thanks in advance
Dan

·
Registered
2022 Ceed GT line 1.5TGDI - Fusion Orange
565 Posts
What is the load and how have you calculated the amperage requirement? 25A at 5m for example would take you down the route of an 8AWG/10mm cable to give a useable voltage drop (continuous power).

It shouldn't be difficult provided you use thinwall cable (6mm overall diameter Single Core Thin Wall Cable - 10.0mm² 70A) to follow a stock wire route. Perhaps youtube amplifier installations in a Sportage for ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply, so it’s for a blue light installation, I need to house siren system and light system in the boot of the car, siren has a 10 amp fuse requirement and the light system has a 25 amp inline fuse requirement so I’ve just taken the higher Amp device of the two as my minimum amp requirement, I was looking at using 6mm2 cable but looking to at it 10mm2 is probably better suited, ran into the boot and terminated into a fuse box. However this bit I’m struggling with is getting the cable from the engine bay into the passenger footwell to run to the boot

·
Registered
565 Posts
Humour me - blue light as in emergency service? I always thought that those would be professionally installed.

Also fuse rating doesn't always equate to power draw, best looking at the specifications of the units and working out what is required.

Either way, find the main harness running from the battery into the car and send it through there, should be plenty of space or a grommet locally which can be used which will appear in the footwell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have to pay for installs yourself as the trust can not use public funded money for private installation! Crazy I know.

I’ll have a look see what the draw is I know the draw from the siren unit is bellow 10amps, so providing the lights controller is under 25amps I think 10mm2 would be plenty for the install,

i can see the harness enter a box on the firewall but not sure how to remove the box 😂 where have the good old days gone where it was simple now everything Is connector based!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Not a problem. I would think there will be a grommet in there, perhaps have a good look in the footwell to see if there are any cable ducts sensibly located?

Driver's side may be a better bet if the internal fusebox is by your knee, you'll hopefully be able to see where the battery positive comes in.

Failing that, you may find some unused (Spare) fuses which can be tapped for each part of the system that are permanent live (if required). 10A is an easy find, 25A more difficult but there are a couple e.g. in my Ceed sunroof motors are 25A ignition live

·
Registered
209 Posts
I can't really help with the technical aspects of this, but i did install a rear camera and found the simplest route to the rear was via the head liner as the door seals came off quite easily. it was a bit a squeeze getting the smaller cable past the Airbags on the A pillar though...anyway took a photo of the Fuse box so hope this helps. (piggybacked off the 20A Power Outlet (Cig lighter) )
Gadget Audio equipment Electronic instrument Eyewear Technology
Font Material property Rectangle Office equipment Technology

·
Registered
565 Posts
If it’s anything like the Ceed the trims in the door aperture just pop off meaning it’s a simple case of using the existing wire channels

1 - 9 of 9 Posts