Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a Niro Phev 3 for 3 months now. In that time I have done just over a thousand miles but used only approx 5 litres of petrol. The majority of my trips are less that 5 miles so I have been charging regularly and driving in ev mode. My question is will this harm the petrol engine and is it good practice to run in hybrid mode every so often even if your battery is charged?

Super Moderator
Not really sure if it is bad, but I think taking it for a good run on the petrol engine will not do any harm. Worry could be rust in the exhaust as it never gets hot enough to burn of moisture from short engine runs.

My main worry is making sure that you do use the brakes, rather than regen breaking all the time.

Does the PHEV have a battery reset button is the 12V battery gets flat?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really sure if it is bad, but I think taking it for a good run on the petrol engine will not do any harm. Worry could be rust in the exhaust as it never gets hot enough to burn of moisture from short engine runs.

My main worry is making sure that you do use the brakes, rather than regen breaking all the time.

No 12 v reset button. I think it's just the hev that has that.

Registered
I have had a Niro Phev 3 for 3 months now. In that time I have done just over a thousand miles but used only approx 5 litres of petrol. The majority of my trips are less that 5 miles so I have been charging regularly and driving in ev mode. My question is will this harm the petrol engine and is it good practice to run in hybrid mode every so often even if your battery is charged?
An ICE engine needs to be run regularly and to get hot to keep it in good working order, if not the internals will get gummed up with carbon and contaminated oil.
The worst thing for an engine is short journeys as it never gets hot enough to get rid of condensation in oil and exhaust, also petrol degrades in left to long in tank without replenishment.

Super Moderator
An ICE engine needs to be run regularly and to get hot to keep it in good working order, if not the internals will get gummed up with carbon and contaminated oil.
The worst thing for an engine is short journeys as it never gets hot enough to get rid of condensation in oil and exhaust, also petrol degrades in left to long in tank without replenishment.
If running in EV mode engine will not be started.

But agree that engine should be run from time to time just to keep it in order.

I would not worry about petrol, as I have a bike in the garage that has been sat for at least 4 years. Gets started about once a year. Still runs just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.