Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today at some traffic lights that when put the parking brake on the running lights turned off, I noticed this in the reflection of the car in front. Has anybody else noticed this or it it a fault

·
Super Moderator
5,987 Posts
I noticed today at some traffic lights that when put the parking brake on the running lights turned off, I noticed this in the reflection of the car in front. Has anybody else noticed this or it it a fault
Standard. Did it on my Stonic & Picanto.
Good new is it does not effect MOT as Picanto just passed hers.

It's a hard choice. Use EPB and lose DRL or use Auto Hold & have brake lights on.
Personally I prefer DRL to stay on. As I have seen enough people cut corners and nearly hit someone in the road.

·
Super Moderator
5,987 Posts
Chapter and verse - if you can untangle it - is here;

6.19. Day-time running lamp (Regulation No 87)
They really need to shoot the people that write these and employ people that make sense 😂

I like the "MAY" be turned off under the following, but do not give us the option to manually turn them off...

6.19.7.1. The daytime running lamps shall be switched ON automatically when the device which starts and/or stops the engine (propulsion system) is set in a position which makes it possible for the engine (propulsion system) to operate. However, the daytime running lamps may remain OFF while the following conditions exist:
6.19.7.1.1. The automatic transmission control is in the park position; or
6.19.7.1.2. The parking brake is in the applied position; or
6.19.7.1.3. Prior to the vehicle being set in motion for the first time after each manual activation of the propulsion system.

6.19.7.2. The daytime running lamps may be switched OFF manually when the vehicle speed does not exceed 10 km/h provided they switch ON automatically when the vehicle speed exceeds 10 km/h or when the vehicle has travelled more than 100 m and they remain ON until deliberately switched off again.
6.19.7.3. The daytime running lamp shall switch OFF automatically when the device which starts and/or stops the engine (propulsion system) is set in a position which makes it impossible for the engine (propulsion system) to operate or the front fog lamps or headlamps are switched ON, except when the latter are used to give intermittent luminous warnings at short intervals ( 19).

Reactions: Radiorail

·
Registered
997 Posts
They really need to shoot the people that write these and employ people that make sense 😂

I like the "MAY" be turned off under the following, but do not give us the option to manually turn them off...
I did say "if you can untangle them" LOL - Another example of the Committees' horse design turning out a camel!

·
Super Moderator
5,987 Posts
I did say "if you can untangle them" LOL - Another example of the Committees' horse design turning out a camel!
I thought it was more of a pigs ear...
😂
Then someone has to try and translate or understand just what they mean, when it is not their 1st language.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I thought it was more of a pigs ear...
😂
Then someone has to try and translate or understand just what they mean, when it is not their 1st language.
I have been involved in one of these EU Committee 'Working Groups' it goes like this;
  1. Simple, one paragraph, proposal made by one of the lesser members of the Group
  2. French will grandstand if it suites them and they will then re-write the proposal in 'French' occupying 4 paragraphs
  3. Germans will then be indignant and will precis the French proposal focusing on German efficiency and (behind the scenes) business requirements, down to two paragraphs
  4. UK will talk to their simultaneous translator, who has had to explain the French/German utterances, UK then propose a far simplified wording, which has the same effect, Translator says "cannot propose that it is too short and does not respect the languages of the main players"
  5. Meeting then retires for 2 hour lunch
  6. At lunch the Germans attack the French for being very 'French', the French mutter about the Germans and their lack of language 'theatre', lesser group members sit with the UK and moan about the French and the Germans.
Afternoon is speedier (after all they all want to go home) so the meeting starts to tear the simplified UK proposal to pieces - eventually the lesser members get their words into the redrafted UK proposal and the whole meeting decides to sleep on it till the next meeting!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Curiously, I started a thread on SpeakEV on this exact issue only a few days ago. I find it really bizarre that the DRL turn off when you apply the parking break. The regulation clearly has MAY not MUST with this. There are plenty of valid reasons why you should apply the parking break while the vehicle is still very much live and being driven - this is indeed mandated by the IAM when waiting at a pedestrian crossing for example.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you are driving your car on regular ways, you never use the parking brake ...

·
Registered
997 Posts
If it is daylight I cannot see a problem with DLRs being off when the car is handbraked and (hopefully) stationary and I am one who often uses the handbrake when waiting at lights or a junctions on a gradient.

If it is dark then other car lights should be on so visibility t other cars would not be lost..

I know it varies but on my Stonic the DLRs go to half light when the headlights are on and they stay on when the handbrake is applied - I think that may be because they are dual purpose DLR and 'Side Lights'.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you are driving your car on regular ways, you never use the parking brake ...
I don't know what you mean by "regular ways" but in the UK the use of the hand brake is quite common,

·
Super Moderator
5,987 Posts
Sitting with your foot on the brake is not good practise. If you are hit from behind. Odds on you foot will come off the brake and you risk hitting something in front of you.

Driving test advice in the UK is:

When you have come to a stop, wait 5 seconds or so and if it looks like you will remain stationary for a while, apply the handbrake. By doing this it will eliminate the possibility of you applying the handbrake too early whilst you are still moving, plus you may move off again quickly and so there was no need to use the handbrake anyway.

Also when stopped on a hill you are supposed to use handbrake to stop rolling back when setting off.

Auto Hold is a nice feature. But would help if the brake lights either never came on, or went off after a few seconds, so the brake lights are not dazzling the car behind.

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't know what you mean by "regular ways" but in the UK the use of the hand brake is quite common,
I mean normal driving. I use the hand brake only for parking, never by stops on traffic lights. And if I park my car, then DRL is not necessary ...
For Start driving on a hill my Niro has "Hill assist", means, after releasing the brake pedal the car stays for two seconds, that gives me time to press the gas pedal ... but with my new Niro MY2020 I have the comfort with EPB and AutoHold ...

If you have to use the brake pedal to stop your car and your car is hit from behind and your foot comes off the brake, the Niro only smooth is starting and the power of the crash is a bit softer ...

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I mean normal driving. I use the hand brake only for parking, never by stops on traffic lights. And if I park my car, then DRL is not necessary ...
For Start driving on a hill my Niro has "Hill assist", means, after releasing the brake pedal the car stays for two seconds, that gives me time to press the gas pedal ... but with my new Niro MY2020 I have the comfort with EPB and AutoHold ...

If you have to use the brake pedal to stop your car and your car is hit from behind and your foot comes off the brake, the Niro only smooth is starting and the power of the crash is a bit softer ...
On my Niro the "handbrake" is actually a footbrake ( and pretty inconvenient) so I use the "park" position, which engages the transmission lock. No brake lights.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts