Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just done first 300 miles. No hard revving or acceleration and kept it down about 2000 rpm max. Is there a running in process still??? I forgot to ask the dealer in all the exitement

·
Registered
974 Posts
There is loads of conflicting info on the net ""¦
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Personally, I have pretty much driven it ""˜normal' and followed a few of the key statements from the manual i.e. no long periods of ticking over and no long / constant engine revs ""“ cruising on motorway etc

Normal for me = acceleration / overrun / acceleration / overrun etc ""“ stop start driving etc. I let the engine produce boost under acceleration but don't particularly push it to hard or for long periods. I am always sympathetic with a cold engine

Typically my driving style has me in a lower gear than the dash readout wants me to be in for maximum economy.

As I have just passed the 600 mile mark (quoted in the manual) I have found that my driving style isn't actually going to change much, it's not really a car for traffic light drag races is it

Everyone will have their own take on running in but what I will say is that by doing the above, my fuel consumption is considerably better than some of the figures I have seen quoted on the net for the comparable model but with considerably more miles on them

WD

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info gents. Not much motorway driving to be had in the distant future. 50 ish mile commute is in rural scotland (yes the views can be stunning when not raining). Comdo of long straights, twisty stuff and hill climbs. As suggested will let the produce its own acceleration for the next few days and then give it some oomph as when the chance lends itself.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Getting my sportage on Friday, had three new audi's over the last 12 years 1 petrol 2 diesel always asked about running them in before I drove away and was always told to just drive normally but avoid thrashing it up and down through the gears for a thousand miles. Thats what I used to do and after I went past the 1000 used to give the engines a right doing and never ever had a problem with an engine.

Think I will need to be slightly more careful this time with the number of posts on this subject

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Toolpusher - in true tradition i have just waded through the manual ad all the good stuff posted by our compadres stands true. The handbook states about keeping below 3000 rpm and varying speed. The smile may get a bit bigger tomorrow

1 - 5 of 5 Posts