Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I bought a 1600 s See'd from a car dealer (not Cee'd agent) a few weeks ago and at first did only local urban running. However, since taking it on a motorway, I have experienced numerous occasions when the accellerator suddenly races wildly at maximum revs. I have to reduce it to normal revs again by stamping hard on the pedal a few times. Very frightening for an 79-year-old! The warranty still has a year to run and the car is now with a local Kia Dealership for investigation. Has anyone experienced this problem as I suspect the Dealer is struggling to find the cause? Any help would be appreciated as I am concerned that, even if repaired, the problem may re-appear.

Best wishes

Bobmar

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tell us more. Is the Cee'd S a diesel? If not it sounds like a sticky accelerator somewhere along the line. Diesels of any make can do as you describe when the oil seals on the turbo (if fitted) fail, the motor uses lubricating oil to run on & they rev to maximum, often resulting in terminal engine damage... But one step at a time...

How old is the car & how many miles has it done? Does it have a full service history? Is it petrol or diesel?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for prompt reply. The car is petrol, 18 months old with 20,000 on the clock and has a full service history. I honestly cannot say if the pedal actually stuck down; I'm fairly sure that it didn't but each time it happened I was too busy trying to avoid an accident to note such things. I removed the mat after the first incident so that can be ruled out. I haven't heard from the Dealer for a day and a half and they tell me they have emailed Kia, hence my assumption that they are in the dark.

Thanks again,

Bobmar

·
Registered
16 Posts
OK. Not a turbo problem then, good news!

I hope a member on here might have more to help if your Dealer comes up short. Meanwhile, if it happens again try to gather as much info as you can on the throttle pedal position, although it may be the throttle potentiometer with a dodgy spot higher up in its range (assumption here that it doesnt use a good old fashioned cabel....) You could ask the dealer to read any ECU logged codes?

Dont be tempted to switch off the ignition while on the move or you could engage the steering lock & be on the way to the site of an accident due to not being able to steer. Use the brakes to hold the speed back until the motor stalls as a last resort.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the good advice. Yes, I'm told it is cable-operated. Its now day three and still no solution, which is worrying. I can't, in all conscience, sell on what amounts to a deathtrap to a private buyer and Motorpoint, who sold me the car, have washed their hands of the whole thing. The Dealer says he has emailed Kia, as I mentioned above and I wonder if any member has experienced communicating with the Company direct? I imagine they would help me if their reputation were to be damaged by this case; perhaps they read this Forum! I will report the outcome when the matter is settled for the benefit of other members.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Found this advice about a Kia Spectra whatever that is, a 2003 model with a cable accelerator, sounds good advice.

"Check the butterfly in the throttle body on the car. It most likely is gummed up with oil and residue from the PCV system. This will cause the butterfly to stick. Clean this out with some carb cleaner and towels and it should take care of the problem. If that doesn't fix it, try to clean, lubricate or replace the throttle cable." <BR style="CLEAR: left; DISPLAY: block">

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also found this on eHow. Its for the Sportage but looks like Kia should know something.

"Some Kia Sportages may have a sticking accelerator pedal that can hold the throttle open on the engine, which may cause a crash"

·
Registered
682 Posts
Bowmar was the conditions wet when this problem happened? or were youdriving ithard at the time.

More information the better.

Need to get a concussion to this problem.

If it was me I would start with changing the throttle cable to at least eliminate one area of problem.

Bob.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am very grateful for all the help from members which I know is difficult when not in possession of all the facts. In response to the last post; conditions were dry on each occasion and my speed on the motorways was rarely above 70 and, because of the problem, always well below the prevailing speed limit on other roads. The matter now rests with the dealer (in Derby). They have failed to find any fault after three days' investigation and thorough road testing. I can only assume that during the investigation process something which was causing the problem has inadvertantly been altered/adjusted which may have cured the fault. However, my wife is understandably nervous about travelling in the car again and I feel wary also. The dealers, NK Motors in Derby, have been very good about the whole thing and given me a good deal on another car so its up to them to take what action they think fit. Once again, my grateful thanks to all on the Forum who have offered advice; it was much appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts