Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sportage 2011 LX does not come with side rails. They (service) told me that Kia is looking for solution, but i cant belive that is not possible to upgrade that on roof? anyone have more information?

·
Registered
24 Posts
jemnetley said:
The rails are just a 'design feature' on mine.
Are you sure about that?

Thule manufacture a set of parts compatible with the silver 'flush fitting' roofrails on my Sportage FE.

They are footpack 753, fitting kit 4009 and then which ever crossbars you choose :- oval aerodynamic or square (cheaper) bars.

Yes it is possible to fit the cheaper bars which clamp under the door recess, but you run the risk of damaging the paint/door/door seal.

If your Sportage does not have the flush fitting longitudinal bars, then I think there are other fitting kits that secure cross rails to the rooftop gutter at appropriate points. I suspect those points are where the flushfitting rails would be attached, if they were fitted. (I'm only guessing on this last bit as I haven't removed my rails to see.)

Hope this helps.

Sparky

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sparky

I do appreciate I can fix Thule rails. The point I was trying to make was that you dont need the rails to fix a roof rack. PS I think the Kia version whcih is supposed to fit on top of the prefit rials is £40 cheaper than Thule

·
Registered
24 Posts
Apologies Jemnetley, I misread your intention.

If the Kia rails are available cheaper than Thule, that's good news. I was beginning to suspect retail price fixing, I couldn't find Thule bars anywhere that weren't selling for £125.

Thanks for the info helpful.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Oh, I think the retail price of Thule is fixed. I await to see what the Kia solution will be as the accessory picture shows an under the door lip solution @£85 but I have been assured there is a Thule like solution

·
Registered
114 Posts
We have a FE with factory roof rails and after asking local dealers they were a bit unsure what to order as there info was a bit unclear, "we will ring kia and find out for you sir" that was over a month ago!
So today we went to halfords and bought the Thule roof bar kit, If you have factory roof rails you will need

Rapid railing kit to mate them to the sportage No 4009 .............................£29.99
Fitting kit roof rack feet x 4 No 753 .............................................................£69.00
Then plain plastic coated bars or aero bars that we wanted No 861 ..........£72.99

Took it for a run and no noise at all up to 70 Mph and we think they look pretty good quality.

Edited by: kia$torm

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the Thule Aero bar 861 from my previous vehicle and have just ordred the fitting kit and footpack you describe from Halfords. I have the roofrails the same as you have and I notice that there are 4 sets of 2 holes on the inner of the rails, and on the top between these are plastic covers. I assume that these are there for the Kia fixings and I suspect they would look better than the Thule ones as they are using the holes and not clamping on the rail. I would like to know if the Kia bars are made by Thule - as if they are I could use my Thule roofbox and cycle racks without modification.
Has anyone acually seen the Kia bars?

Lloyd.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You can see what they have under Kia Accessories on the main website. However what is shown doesnt fit the prefixed bars.

I had noticed the holes too and started to try and pry one of the plastic stoppers up but it cracked. I thought there might be a screw hole underneath so you didnt have to clamp them as the piccie above

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello all,

I'm not sure about a roof rack system which doesn't need the rails in place first?

LloydI think the Thule system looks better than the Kia option. I can't see theclamping mechanismso I can't compare ease of fitting.

I twisted the dealers arm to throw a set of bars in when I bought my Sportage. The bars locate with small pegs that fit into the blind holes on the rails and you spin a wish bone looking key to tighten them up.

One disappointment was the Kia brochure showed alloy aero bars and in fact the plastic coated box section bars were delivered. They do the job and I'm pleased with the way they look.

I took some picture but after reading up on how to post pictures I need the administrator permission or host them on another site with and provide a URL link.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well that was an expensive mistake to the tune of 172.97!!!!!!!
Come to put car in garage and it is 10mm of clearing the door, so look`s like i`m going to have to get the kia roof bars witch are slightly lower going by the pic on line.
So if anyone wants a cheep unused set of Thule roof bars with 12 month guarantee then make me an offer, no reasonable offer refused

·
Registered
57 Posts
would love to see a picture (jemnetleyatlive.co.uk as I have seen the holes.

my only concern would be the gap tween the base of the bars when fitted and the roof as to whether it would take the fixtures i have on my very old thule box which protrude a little bit.

Thule also do another fitting that I think might screw into the holes you are talking about rather than clamping onto the prefixed bars.

How much did you get quoted for your bars before you negoiated them free? I know the clamp onto the door rim ones + fixing kit are £85

·
Registered
57 Posts
What a low garage roof you have!

See my post above re other Thule fitting.
There is on Thule fitting which may screw into the bars in a different way as per cmc's post. One of the Thule website has a range of fitting videos - - either usa or swedisgh one - cant find them on uk site

·
Registered
114 Posts
Its not the roof it`s the @*^%$* door, i`ll give it a few days and then whak em on e bay.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ouch... I bet you're smarting.
FYI the Kia own-brand bars from top to the underside of the rubber pads (which sit on the rail) approx 70mm.You don't wantto make the same mistake twice.

Jemnetly, I think I would be inclined to invest in some Kiarails and fit bars across these (if I understand your situation correctly)I suppose it depends on how expensive this option is. I'm only guessing but the rails might help distribute load evenly along the roof rather than ending up with four point loads bearing all the weight.BtwI don't knowhow much mybars cost, I didn't ask. I was just chancing my luck by asking for some goodies.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks for that the Thule ones are 100mm so they would do the job.
Going to put them on e bay for £120 this week.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks Kia$torm.

Sorry I can't showthe barsfixed to the car. It's taking a short holiday with the wife and children.

As you can see there are small pegs.These locate in the blind holes on the rails, so it's not going anywhere once attached. I've fixed a couple of ancient Thule Pro cycle mounts to the bars. The kind where you remove the front wheel and fix the bike forks directly to a quick release spindle. I prefer this to having the whole bike flapping around on top at a great height.

The shot on the floor shows the locking mechanism. You spin the wish bone thingy untilthe foot clampstight on the rail then fold flat/flush and lock with a small key (supplied)

The other shot hanging on the garage wall. When I fit to the car I just plonk the wholeassembly on in one go (the bike holders already clamping to the bars in a set position).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
guys guys guys! i didnt open this theard so u can go in totaly wrong direction! i ask for help and you talk about Thule?!? My sportage came without factory roof rails and i m wondering is there any solution for that issue?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts