Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I hope you're all full of Christmas cheer.

As Santa didn't bring me one, I would be grateful for your advice on a suitable roof basket, rack or tray. We are going back down to our caravan in Southern France in the summer as a family of six, so there won't be much room inside the car for luggage.

We have a long but skinny roof box, which we will use, but this will only take up half the roof width, leaving the other half for suitcases etc, but I want to firmly strap them down to something.

Please don't suggest "look on eBay", I'm interested in anyone's experience who has already used a roof rack or similar, fitting problems, difficulties in use and poor build quality or any other things I should know about.

Hopefully there is a rich vein of wisdom out there that is about to reveal itself to me.

Thanks in advance to all...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi Mark, I've always resisted the urge to use my roof box on my 02 Sedona simply because I didn't like the look of the plastic brackets that hold the roof bars to the rails. They just don't look too strong to me although in the past people have said on this forum that they use a box with no problem.If I had to use a box I think I would feel happier fitting stronger rails. My wife and I tow our caravan to the Indre region each year but have always had plenty of room inside the car but it's a different matter of course for a family.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Personally, I would go for a trailer, but that may be costly if you do not have a towbar, I dont know how much a tow bar is to fit the sedona, mine came with.

Otherwise, I would look for a larger roof box, and with the size of the sedona, one that opens from either side.perhapssell the existing one to cover some costI usually pack clothes in holdalls or soft cases, these fit in roof boxes better, and imo more weather resistant, holdalls are water resistant, as are most roof boxes.
remember the roof bars are limited in weight capacity (not sure on the exact figure for the sedona, but most are 75kgs ish) so a trailer would have a lot higher capacity, even the smallest of the erde trailers has a capacity of 250kgs (I would go for a larger one personally, they are still physically small, but have much greater capacity)

If storage is limited, most small trailers can be stored on end, or look at roof bags.

·
Registered
32 Posts
hi we also travel to france with a large roof box and a trailer with no probs.a tow bar would be around £220 fttted,but a good tip is to use sucky bags for your clothes,your be surprised how much space you would save,these are a great idea for any trip.
robin (04 sedona)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your answers. We have a 7 x 4 trailer, but it costs lots more to take it and it limits parking and speed, so we don't. I haven't yet fitted a bar to the Sedona, but will soon as I will want it to pull our Bailey caravan.

The sort of thing am looking for is like this:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220920407142?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_534wt_932

I spoke with a Thule dealer yesterday who advised me that the existing Sedona cross bars are purely cosmetic and I shouldn't fix anything heavier than a couple of fishing rods to them.

Keep the comments coming please, the more I learn the better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
hi not sure the dealer is right,does he just want your money,why would they fit them ,a cosmeticaddition??????????i,ve had no problems and have seen a few others use them,if you can check your hand book im sure theres a section about roof weights
robin

·
Registered
702 Posts
rgs6467 said:
hi not sure the dealer is right,does he just want your money,why would they fit them ,a cosmeticaddition??????????i,ve had no problems and have seen a few others use them,if you can check your hand book im sure theres a section about roof weights
robin

Does sound the kind of thing a salesman would say. I 've got a massive rooftop box and never had any trouble with the standard Kia cross bars at all.

·
Registered
195 Posts
IIRC, the factoy fit bars are limited on weight, and were more designed to stop loads put directly on the roof sliding forwards/backwards. otherwise, why would kia offer a roofbar as an option.

If you buy, make sure the bars are thule ones, (depending on the year of your sedona) they are the only ones that make a foot pack for the Mk1/2 sedona (not sure on the 3)
That said, the standard roof rail bars fit with a 2x1 packing between the roof rail and the bar (mine didn't come with the factory bars)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My thanks to everyone for their advice - I bought the Toyota one from a really nice gent in Spalding on eBay (£27) and with just a little modification it fits perfectly. I can adjust it to have the roof box wherever I want am am looking forward to the French Autoroutes now.

I did see a Sedona yesterday with a roof box for the first time, and this one was fitted to the standard bars and looked OK at 70 mph on the A249.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts