Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone retro fitted the Kia roof bars to Soul? (the ones that run down each side of the car) Are they available from Kia to buy?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
From what i have read with over a year on the USA forum- its seems like a virtual impossibility. The USA crowd have been wanting this but few have succeeded. The bars are factory fit normally on the burner. People that have sourced the factory bars have then come up against no one willing to fit them - cos they are mounted too close to the curtain air bags..... and the risk of having those go off whilst working near them or whilst trying to remove them has detered. The USA market have a set of bars available that fit within the existing bar mounts and bolt straight to the roof panel. They look ok - but cant carry much weight. SSD in america do a very simple bar that fits onto the kia mountings - but externally (so no airbag issues). But the SSD bars dont look quite as neat as the Kia ones.

Go see your dealer....they may know of another way round the problems..... but what i have told you seems to be the usual result.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've been looking into this as I wanted a tempest & didn't want the models that came with roof bars but would like roof bars .. A friend of mines son is a mechanic at KIA & has said that he doesn't think they would have different roofs for each model . So he thinks that they can be fitted to any Soul . He's looking into it for me , so will let you know if I get any joy .

·
Registered
183 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem I would imagine, every model in Spain comes with roof bars as standard.
Edited by: Nat

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Raider, please post the result when you know. Also I agree with last post in that all these roofs must be the same.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think it would be good if someone that has the factory roof bars on their model take a few pictures and post on here.
Some pics of how it is fixed to the roof etc

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
every canadian soul has them as standard too and they are all factory fit. If you do succeed in having factory bars retro fitted, please let us know - i would have them fitted for looks alone - they look great on the Soul.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Dave R said:
Hi Tempest, no wonder your soul is heavy on fuel its all the extras its carrying round.
There are that many Tempests on here - i had to do something to make mine look different!!....lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Raider... any luck with your man in the know?

·
Registered
309 Posts
The answer I got today was that the Kia roof bars can only be fitted at the factory , they would have to take the headlining out & drill holes in the roof on a vehicleassembled without them , Something this garage would not want to do because of possible leaks . The cost of the original bars is expensive & god know how much the fitting charge would be .
The bit he read me from the web site said that only the Burner could accomidate the roof bars listed ( E83002K000ME or E83002K000AL ) & can't be retro fitted on any other model .

He also said the loading on these is not brilliant & for me as I want to carry mountain bikes . I may now look at a tow bar & bike carrier instead , Its all very confusing

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey. Maddog. Ive just witnessed some similar confusion at my dealers. Myself recently purchasing a Soul Echo in black and ordering the roof bars, them telling me its no issue to fit the bars in fact, they come with instructions and you do it yourself! At this point I'm thinking you must just use an template, drill some holes in the roof and maybe use some self ratcheting screws or bolts with rubber waterproof seals like the one you buy at B & Q!
It turned out that the ones they ordered where, like the aftermarket ones like the Thule ones that run across the car, which although I was very disappointed, are in fact quiet good as they are designed to attach to the side of the car above the doors, in between the doors and the roof, so are only about 3 inches from the roof line and look quiet sporty as they are in silver alloy and black and have KIA Oval branding on the feet attachments!

They are official Soul merchandise and are around £115 + VAT.

No wonder they said I could fit them myself. lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good Stuff. Maddog.

I like the US bars on the cream sole, looks very morris minor traveler - showing my age now lol. All 43 years. I was big into the rod scene for years. Ive just scoured the tinternet for you, came up with Zilch! But found this Russian site, if you scroll down to part number

E82002K000AL
http://www.kia.hr/boutique?mc=CS

You will see a picture of the bars as you can see they use the T channels on the roof and look quiet cool, for across the roof design. I think they would look great on a Black car like mine lol or any dark colour and Light colours as well. I'm thinking they might make a good substitute to the vertical bars.

The order code is available from any KIA dealer, like I mentioned they retail around £115 (ish)

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Thanks for trying you lot..... seems like the OEM bars are as impossible to have here as in the USA. the annoying thing is that in Canada every Soul variant gets them as standard!!!!..... not fair.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts