Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first run down the motor way yesterday i had to stop and take them off as my wee girl could not stand the noise coming from them does any one else have the same prob they are genuine kia aero bars

·
Registered
19 Posts
You probably have the same problem I had.
If you look underneath the bars, there should be some rubber strip in the slots, the same strip as on top, My dealer said they never got it but I think they just didn't fit it.

Luckily I took some of my old roof bars, the whistling noise is horrible though, you could use tape as a temporary fix.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers ill try that
does make scence ill be in tomorow to boot there arse if thats what it is

·
Registered
19 Posts
If its any help, it is t track rubber insert that you need to seal the slots, I know you shouldnt have to get it but it will probably be easier than getting the dealer to sort it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks to viking paul for his help today much appreciated he got this info for mechecked with Kia and the answer was
Hi Paul

YES!

There should have been 4x black plastic "ruler" strips that fit into the
underside of the bars.

so suggest you go back to supplying dealer they need to contact Mobis for
part number of the strips

the part number is 590404

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just bought a new Sportage onto which my dealer fitted Kia aero bars.As I will be carrying large canoes on them, I gave them a check to ensure proper fitment.
Lo and behold, none of them were tightened sufficiently and worse than that, two lugs on the front bar were not located in the securing holes on the roof rail.
This could have been disastrous if said bar and canoe had become detached whilst in transit. Think major motorway pile up !!
Moving on, my bars have been screeching like a banshee, so contacted the dealer after reading this thread.
My dealer also said that no seals are supplied to fit in underside of bars, so as a temporary fix I stuck tape over the slots as recommended on here. Result, noise gone !

Knowing that tape is not a permanent solution, I started to search for a better one. I like a challenge even though this problem should not have been mine to fix.
I found a website who supply H section rubber extrusions but as yet I haven't contacted them to find out if any of their products would fit my bars, because I thought of another solution.
I found some rubber hose at work that was a slightly larger diameter than the inside of the bars, so I marked where the fixing feet were situated and took the bars off the roof. I then cut some hose to the required lengths and pushed it into the bars to effectively fill up the underside slots. I then refitted the bars.
During this process, I noticed that the front bar had been fitted the wrong way round. They are marked underneath to show which way they should be fitted i.e front left and rear left.

By the time I realised the significance of this I had the bars back in place and all tightened up, and as I was at work I had no time to remove the tube I had fitted.

Upshot is this; my bars no longer whistle and I'm almost certain that if I remove the tube I fitted, they still wouldn't whistle.
Because the bars are shaped like an aeroplane wing, fitting them the wrong way round would affect the aerodynamics and windflow and I think this is what caused the whistling.

So, if you have the same problem, check to see that bars are correctly fitted. If so, and they still whistle you could try my tube insertion method or I could post a link to the website I found and you can enquire as to whether they have anything to fit the underside slots in the bars.

Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The Kia Aero bars SHOULD have strips that go on the underside to eliminate noise as part of the kit. They are black and also have measuring markers so that you can get equal lengths cut accurately. Sounds to me like whoever fitted the bars did not make use of the strips that come with the bars!! I bought the original Kia roof bars myself and know this is the case as I inadvertently missed them out when I first installed them and had bars SCREAMING when on the motorway on the trip out to buy a top box. The strips were fitted on my return...noise virtually eliminated. If you buy these bars....please check that the strips are in the box....they will prevent this problem.

Chris

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for that Chris, I will print your reply and show it to my dealer and see what they have to say.Of course, the guy I'm dealing with is on holiday this week. Something he neglected to mention when he said he'd chase this up with Kia technical today !!

Just to be sure, are your bars the very latest ones ?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Yup, we have the KIA aero bars and they have the black plastic strips filling the slots on the underside.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I bought the bars around July. They are genuine Kia Aero bars bought online from an approved dealer based in Sheffield...for a good price too. I have just been out to the garage to take some photos to show you how the strips fit. They need to be cut so that the long part goes to the inside of the mount and the short side to the outside. Hopefully the photos will show this.

Edited by: Sweetbaboo99

·
Registered
537 Posts
My God,i'd run from that dealership fast. Wouldn't let them near my car ever again,just imagine them changing oil. A gasket? What gasket? This filter doesn't need one. Geez.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thankyou for the pics of your roof bar inserts. I forwarded these on to my dealer and they've now admitted that these should have come with my bars and have now got some in stock and will fit them next week.Result ! But it should never have happened

·
Registered
573 Posts
Glad to hear you'll (eventually) get things sorted.

Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thats shocking, its not as if they were just odd pieces of plastic, they have dimensions written all over them, OMG

1 - 17 of 17 Posts