Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Could be down to the make of tyres Taff. I had a Ceed and a Mentor with Michelins on and the road noise was bad . When I changed them on the Mentor to a Budget tyre the road noise was reduced dramatically.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
running a tempest with 18" hankooks and the road noise is not to bad at all. I suppose it depends what you are comparing with,my other car had 16" wheels but a 35 profile on wider tyres and that was noisy plus it was an open top which made it worse. I have had saloon cars that were so quite that any tyre noise would have been to much.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The road noise on the 18 inch nexens can be pretty terrible - obviously it is dependant on the type of road surfaces you frequent too. The bigger wheels look good but they come at a price in terms of ride quality and refinement.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Road noise is almost all down to the tyre and the road surface.
If you look up reviews on tyres you will usually have a catagory for road noise.
Some tyre manf make tyres to be ultra quiet and some are just quiet by accident.
Generally the lower the profile the more noisy it gets due to the lack of rubber to absorb the noise.
This is why luxury cars always have large tyres on smaller wheels.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I looked to book my Tempest in for a 25k service the other day and had a test drive in a demo the garage had with 18" Nexons on it and it was noisey than my Hankooks.I noted that 18" wheels with the low profile can be a little worse than a smaller thinner tyre but the extra grip plus looks are well worth the slight extra noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've put on some stick-on door rubber on the back edge of the front door and round the wheel arch of the back doors and that has made a real big difference.<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i have seen a u shaped trim that wraps round the rear edge of the doors to act like a weather seal/ sound barrier..... i wondered if that was what the poster was meaning.... but i cant remember where i saw it.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Dave R said:
Try the Hankooks they are not to bad at all, I have nearly 25k on them and there is still plenty tread on them yet.Should do at least 28-29k before I need to change them.
Thats really good going - you make it sound like your quite an "enthusiastic" driver and would give your tyres a hard time.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I am a little hard on tyes but I do not spin the wheel on setting off but they do work hard so I am more than happy with the Hankooks regarding the mileage I have got out of them.I have sourced some exact replacements at £123 fitted with nitrogen filled. They do grip quite well so the performance has been OK including wet driving,all in all I have been impressed with them for a meduim priced tyre.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts