Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have had my Kia Proceed GT Line now for 3 days and have done about 100 mile on all sorts of roads (A, B, motorway etc). All fine except for the road noise in the cabin is really bad and loudest I have known in any car. Noise seems to be coming from the back of the car. The tyres are Michelin Primacy all round and they all have a good 3mm-5mm tread left.

Anyone else found this issue. I have done a search and it has come up as an issue on other Kias and seems changing the tyres can really help. Any recommendations as to what tyres. I am considering getting the tyres rotated but not sure if that would make any difference.

Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
The level of noise generated may be vehicle model-specific to a degree and different people's perceptions will range from 'quietest ever' to 'noisiest ever' so it's difficult to get an objective handle on tyre noise.

Personally, the Primacy from Michelin were quieter than the OE Continentals I had on a previous car and again, another set of the Primacy model quietened down the tyre noise from OE Hankooks on my Hyundai.

Last year I switched from regular Michelins to Cross-climate and unexpectedly found the CCs to be marginally quieter than the OE Michelins. It will be interesting to read the views of others who may have changed brands, particularly if they own the ProCeed GT Line model.

Reactions: markavfc

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi all. I have had my Kia Proceed GT Line now for 3 days and have done about 100 mile on all sorts of roads (A, B, motorway etc). All fine except for the road noise in the cabin is really bad and loudest I have known in any car. Noise seems to be coming from the back of the car. The tyres are Michelin Primacy all round and they all have a good 3mm-5mm tread left.

Anyone else found this issue. I have done a search and it has come up as an issue on other Kias and seems changing the tyres can really help. Any recommendations as to what tyres. I am considering getting the tyres rotated but not sure if that would make any difference.

mate, you clearly haven't been in any really loud cars :D

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
975 Posts
Do you think it has got noticeably noisier since your test drive? That might point to something else. Or perhaps you are just unlucky with the roads near home!

Trouble is, there are a few variables that will determine how noisy a tyre will be: wear, road surface, temperature, tread pattern, rubber compound, tyre pressure, vehicle load, to name just a few. Even different sizes of the same tyre may perform differently, so it can make personal recommendations a bit misleading, unless you can get a broad consensus.

So here are (with no sense of irony) my recommendations! I always found Dunlop Sport Maxx and Avon ZV7 quiet, relatively cheap but quick to wear. The Michelin CrossClimates I have now are fairly quiet, hard wearing but expensive. That said, the front two CCs got noticeably nosier as they wore to below 5.0mm (so you may be experiencing the same with their stablemate Primacy tyres), so much so I replaced them earlier than strictly necessary.

Just don't go down the route of fitting the quietest tyre you can find and end-up aquaplaning or spinning off the road! 😁

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you think it has got noticeably noisier since your test drive? That might point to something else. Or perhaps you are just unlucky with the roads near home!

Trouble is, there are a few variables that will determine how noisy a tyre will be: wear, road surface, temperature, tread pattern, rubber compound, tyre pressure, vehicle load, to name just a few. Even different sizes of the same tyre may perform differently, so it can make personal recommendations a bit misleading, unless you can get a broad consensus.

So here are (with no sense of irony) my recommendations! I always found Dunlop Sport Maxx and Avon ZV7 quiet, relatively cheap but quick to wear. The Michelin CrossClimates I have now are fairly quiet, hard wearing but expensive. That said, the front two CCs got noticeably nosier as they wore to below 5.0mm (so you may be experiencing the same with their stablemate Primacy tyres), so much so I replaced them earlier than strictly necessary.

Just don't go down the route of fitting the quietest tyre you can find and end-up aquaplaning or spinning off the road! 😁
I think on the test drive I was speaking to the salesman, focused on other things and so didn't really notice. It was an 80 mile drive back home after I picked it up and it was about 10 miles in that I thought it is loud in here with road noise.

I think it is probably the tyres. Rear windows are fully shut and rubbers on boot are fine (in answer to what someone else suggested).

Obviously it could just have been my last car was really quite., it was a much bigger and heavier car, and may just be that it will take a while to adjust to this one. I will definitely get different tyres in the next few weeks though.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Our 2010 Ceed was quiet for the first 4 years 10 months on both its original Michelins and the winter tyres on steel wheels, the winters may have been a little quieter. Then we went on holiday (on the Michelins and as normal it was fine but on the return trip it seemed very noisy. Took it to the garage and they said the rear tyres had uneven wear on the inside edge which was the issue, said it was common with Michelins and we had been luck to do so many miles on them (did not mention we used winters for 4 or 5 months a year). Got home and fitted the winters just as an experiment, back to normal immediately. So it seemed on ours a pair of new rear tyres were all that was required.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts