Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ABS warning light came on on my Picanto GS, checked it out and found n/s/f ABS ring cracked. Phoned my local dealership for a price for said ring. Sorry don't do one for that model, you'll need to buy the complete driveshaft £216 + vat. Ordered the ring on the net £24 inc vat and postage

·
Registered
92 Posts
<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">How easy is it to replace the ABS ring ?
<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">

<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">When the ABS warning light came on was it all the time from switch on or intermittently, when braking or irrespective ?
<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">

<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">My wife's mentioned the light flashing on a few times whilst driving along the motorway. Be good to have some pointers before I go out in the dark and get cold, wet and dirty !

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
after removing the driveshaft, I heated the new ring up in the oven and tapped it into place. I was a mechanic so to me it was not difficult. With a little knowledge it can be done.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks - I'm used to replacing brake discs and pads but wasn't sure about getting the hub off the driveshaft here. I take it a 3 leg hub puller could be useful - will a 4" one do the job ?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Bootneck said:
ABS warning light came on on my Picanto GS, checked it out and found n/s/f ABS ring cracked. Phoned my local dealership for a price for said ring. Sorry don't do one for that model, you'll need to buy the complete driveshaft £216 + vat. Ordered the ring on the net £24 inc vat and postage
How unusual for KIA to get this wrong...particularly based on my own experiences....

I got mine on eBay for £17 a pair including postage - only one ring was split at the time though.

No need to put them in the oven though - you'll likely just burn your fingers - just put them in hot water and leave until you need to slip them on.

Edited by: gtd2000

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Good picture,shows where sensor was rubbing teeth each side of crack. Daughters car was just the same,my son took it in his garage and done hers.

·
Registered
936 Posts
BIRDMAN said:
Good picture,shows where sensor was rubbing teeth each side of crack. Daughters car was just the same,my son took it in his garage and done hers.

I think the "rubbing" was more where I'd brushed the ring with a wire brush to get a better look at it.

The underside of the car looks pretty awful in those pics but it's not really how it looks in normal light

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
The marks on the top of the teeth each side of the crack on hers were rubbing sensor,causing squeaking noise which first brought her attention to it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts