Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 out of the 3 bolts holding on the spark plug cover won't come off. The nut that is inserted into the valve cover seems to be slipping. Any way of getting it off

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
2 out of the 3 bolts holding on the spark plug cover won't come off. The nut that is inserted into the valve cover seems to be slipping. Any way of getting it off
Define "Slipping " as in continually turning but not unscrewing ? can you show us a picture..

As you can see in this vid what the bolts screw into are brass inserts inserted into plastic so it looks like yours have broken free of the plastic and are turning..or the threads are gone in the inserts..

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Problem you have now it what to break.. you cant grip the heads of the bolts obviously so something has to give.. suppose if you could you might be able to pull upwards and the inserts would pull free and allow you to lift the cover but there again it would probably damage the plastic housings where the inserts sit and you then wouldn't be able fit the cover back.. would welcome suggestions from other members at this stage who might have other suggestions on how to retrieve these bolts with minimum damage..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking of drilling the heads of the bolts and removing the inserts once taken off and put loctite in the inserts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I was thinking of drilling the heads of the bolts and removing the inserts once taken off and put loctite in the inserts
Thats one way I suppose as long as the bolts dont turn while your drilling which might happen..nothing gained tho if you dont at least try.. If you can get the inserts out I would tend to go for an epoxy resin type glue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts