Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see from the spec the new Rio does not come with a spare wheel although there is a wheel well in the boot. Does anyone know if a spare wheel will actually fit in the space and what the cost of a new steel rim suitable for the 1.1 crdi would cost?.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I think it will depend on the level of spec Rio you get. I was looking for a spare set of steel wheels for winter tyres last year and from S&G Petch they were about £55 each. Ask around with the dealers though, sometimes they get people who upgrade to alloys and they have a second hand set of steel wheels spare, they'd proabaly sell you one then for about £20.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
A common practice now with manufacturers not supplying a spare wheel, all down to cost cutting and saving weight. More call outs for the breakdown companies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
dad picked his rio 2 up on monday,we did discuss with dealership about spare wheel and stated we wanted one.The cost would be £100 and they also said you needed a jack and wheel brace too.Got to say was a bit peeved.Its bad enough not having a spare wheel,but a jack and wheel brace too.Still waiting on a call back from the dealership because we said we would like this free of charge because my dad has been messed around regarding picking his car up,it took 3 attempts to finally receive the car....rant over.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
£100? I suppose it's £50 for a wheel then £50 for tyre and balance. It's taking the mick. You buy a Kia and unless you want it in white you have to pay an extra £400, then another £100 for a spare wheel!

What next? "Sorry sir, if you want an engine included in the deal, that's an extra £2000."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Its just a big money making scam.They say its to save weight and keep the emissions down.If i had a choice between aircon or a spare wheel i know which one i would choose.The garage did get back and we are still asking for the wheel for free especially when we had trouble trying to insure the rio.We have had to insure it as a picanto 1248cc because they have no info yet on the new rio 1248cc.The insurance have said it will be ok and they will update as soon as they have the info.The garage are aware of this,thats why we have asked for the wheel free because of the further hassle.They will be getting in touch next week..

·
Registered
536 Posts
Not so much a money scam, more of a headline scam. You see without a spare wheel they can get better fuel consumption and can promote it. BUT they can't then put one back in and still say it can achieve the same MPG. It not a scam, as VW, BMW, and especially Fiat do it. It's just they put run flat tires on there cars instead. The blue motions polo literature has its MPG figures stated for if it has a spare of run flats.

Fiat take the mic by saying there Air engines give out the least Co2 of any engine. BUT all they do if pump ambient air into the exhaust so called, watering it down. The tests that are run for Co2 emmisions are measured in parts per million.

·
Registered
3 Posts
picked up new Rio2 in blaze red on thursday great car to drive 6th gear a good idea saving on fuel we were told that they do not supply a spare wheel, but will think about getting one. chrisern

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My dealer has confirmed that a standard size wheel and tyre will not fit in the spare wheel well in the boot. Kia are looking into supplying a reduced size spare like the emergency get you home ones supplied by other car manufacturers but no date has been given for this yet.

·
Registered
225 Posts
After consulting the Kia tech department my dealer has obtained a 15" spacesaver spare for my Rio3. It certainly looks odd but it does the job and must be better than a can of gunge.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can I ask how much you were charged for the wheel and tyre and if possible the part number.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi "Corsa57"Temporary Wheel....Part no. K529101W950 Price £45.80 +VAT
Tyre....Part no. K2151323001 Price£27.63 + VAT

Needless to say I also had to buy a Jack, Bar and Wheel Wrench.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
davy said:
Yeh M4 theres more tread on a condom than on some of them space savers
Davy...

I've heard the metal on these space savers is so thin the whole wheel can only be used for a short while beforeit fatigues and needs replacing. Don't know how true this is.

Then you are limited by law to 50 mph max, and about 50 miles.

Another thing...check the bolts/nuts for your normal road wheels will suit the space saver wheel...on some cars they do not, so you have to carry around spare nuts/bolts!

Edited by: M4trundler

·
Registered
225 Posts
davy said:
Yeh M4 theres more tread on a condom than on some of them space savers
Many motorists are legally driving round on normal road tyres with less tread than that found on a spacesaver.
M4trundler said:
I've heard the metal on these space savers is so thin the whole wheel can only be used for a short while beforeit fatigues and needs replacing. Don't know how true this is.
Typical example of internet scaremongering. If used correctly spacesaver wheelsare perfectly robust enough to be used many times over although obviously you will probably have to replace the tyre if you regularly find yourself getting punctures many miles from a garage.
M4trundler said:
Then you are limited by law to 50 mph max, and about 50 miles.
Just as you are if you are lucky enough to be able to repair a puncture with the Kia supplied sealant.
M4trundler said:
Another thing...check the bolts/nuts for your normal road wheels will suit the space saver wheel...on some cars they do not, so you have to carry around spare nuts/bolts!
That's very true and precisely why I tested the spacesaver on my car using the standard nuts supplied with my alloys. No problems.

I know that in a perfect Worldmost of us would opt for a fullsize spare but when thisisn't feasible or practical I think the spacesaver is the next best option. If I have a repairable puncture and the spacesaver enables me to get to the garage without having to use the sealant then it will have paid for itself.
John.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I wouldn't trust the sealant stuff. The only time I carry it is in the winter when I have the winter tyres on and the spare is a summer. I don't trust these space saver tyres either. I also don't trust punctured tyres that have been repaired. New tyres are not that expensive and if I've got my kids in the car and I'm travelling at motorway speeds I want to be sure my tyres will be up to the job.

What Ican't understand is why Kia have done this to the new Rio. Ok, if they want to cut costs and not supply a spare that's fine, but make the recess in the boot big enough for a proper spare if people want to buy one!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts