Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the information of those still wanting a spare wheel kit for the Rio.
Asteel wheel option for 15 inch wheel on Rio ""“ part number RIOSW15
This gets you a wheel, jack,wheel key and retainer for £150.42.
You will still have to purchase a tyre so the total cost will be in the region of £215.

The part numbers for the other sizes are RIOSW16, RIOSW17.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
corsa57 said:
You will still have to purchase a tyre so the total cost will be in the region of £215.

.Its absolutely wrong you have to buy a spare wheel kit and a tyre in the first place. The car should come with these as standard. Bl**dy rip off if you ask me. Manufacturers screwing the customers.
Now would you not rather have a spare wheel kit as standard and junk the HAC or ISG ? I would its a no brainer that one.

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
525 Posts
davy said:
corsa57 said:

.Its absolutely wrong you have to buy a spare wheel kit and a tyre in the first place. The car should come with these as standard. Bl**dy rip off if you ask me. Manufacturers screwing the customers.
Now would you not rather have a spare wheel kit as standard and junk the HAC or ISG ? I would its a no brainer that one.

Oddly Davy, i agree with you on this point. The "tyreinacan" thatKia supply with the car is fine for getting you home, but if used will prevenet the tyre from ever being repaired.

Given that mine has 205/45/17 conti sport contacts I certainly would not want to preclude the possibilty of having a rep[air done as i imagine they will be £100+ each fitted (although lucky for me tyres are included in my lease contract).

In a lotus elise 100% agree with the weight saving derived from no spare...in a Kia.....not so much!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had a spare wheel in my 3DR Rio3 from new? Has my dealer been good to me here or is there a difference in spec?

Edit:
I've just looked on the Kia Rio Exterior Spec and it says all models have the Tyre Mobility Kit so I'm guessing my spare wasn't standard? In which case I am very grateful even if it is a bicycle wheel of a tyre!
Edited by: OO Agent

·
Registered
525 Posts
OO Agent said:
I had a spare wheel in my 3DR Rio3 from new? Has my dealer been good to me here or is there a difference in spec?

Edit:
I've just looked on the Kia Rio Exterior Spec and it says all models have the Tyre Mobility Kit so I'm guessing my spare wasn't standard? In which case I am very grateful even if it is a bicycle wheel of a tyre!

Defo not standard you lucky swine!

·
Registered
39 Posts
i have a sorento which has a spare , but i have a vauxhall meriva which had a repair kit .i rang round all the local car dissmantlers and got a full size wheel +spare wheel trim +jack/wheel brace for £80 the dealer wantted £200+ sorry i forgot it also had a brand new tyer onEdited by: steve107

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We will all no doubt solve the lack of a spare wheel in different ways. I suspect it is a little early to get many Rio's in thescrapyard yet.
I have decided to not purchasea spare but instead to take out breakdown cover after the first year with AutoAid,the current cost is £38 a year and specifically covers the lack of a spare wheel in the policy. I have used this company in the past and although I never made a claim I am confident that the cover would suit me.

·
Registered
525 Posts
M4trundler said:
Boz, as you've got 17 inch wheels, is there enough room for a full size spare in the well in the boot?

Not sure, i would have expected a 50mph space saver anyway in this day and age at the most though.

Mind you, Isuppose it begs the question, if it dosent fit and were to have a flat and a full car, where would you put the wheel if you did have a spare in the wheel well........

·
Registered
525 Posts
corsa57 said:
Good luck with that. But fitting non standard wheels would not be an option for me.

If its a space saver spare, these are made by a third party not the manufacturers i know speedline make alot of the manufacturer standard space savers. In this case all you need to do is ensure that the PDC/offset/stud pattern match.

If its a full size spare you want, I would imagine that the steel spare from a Hyundai I20 will fit as its the same basic mechanicals and Kia and Hyundai Part share.

I have just checked and the I20 has a PDC of 4*100 and an offset of 46 This matches the current model Picanto. I cant find on the intenet what the correct fitting for the current Rio is, and i cant be bothered taking a wheel off to check but i would bet a small in insignificant amount of money that it is the same.

Anyone care to confirm....??

·
Registered
22 Posts
You might be interested in my solution to the spare wheel problem -I posted this info earlier. the spare in question fits perefectly in the spare wheel well of my 2012 Rio3

I had 4 new Renault Clio 14"x5.5j rims (replaced with alloys)
14"rim + 175x80 tyre(second hand) - total cost £20

or

14" rim+ 165x80 tyre(new) - total cost £35

tools -
<H1 ="vi-is1-titleH1">KIA CEED GENUINE TOOL KIT + JACK SET WHEEL BRACE(£47)--Item number: 250970993519 bought on ebay ( or obtainable from a breakers yard)</H1>
<H1 ="vi-is1-titleH1">this combination fits perfectly in the spare wheel well</H1>
<H1 ="vi-is1-titleH1">other sizes of Renault rims may work as long as they are 4stud pcd100 ET36 sprigot bore 56.1</H1>
<H1 ="vi-is1-titleH1">This combination is almost identical in size (overal height) to the original 17" alloys.</H1>
<H1 ="vi-is1-titleH1">I believe this combination will also work for both the 15" Rio1 and the 16"Rio2 wheels</H1>
<H1 ="vi-is1-titleH1">Hope this is helpful to someone
<H1 ="vi-is1-titleH1">Good luck and safe driving</H1></H1>

·
Registered
225 Posts
M4trundler said:
Boz, as you've got 17 inch wheels, is there enough room for a full size spare in the well in the boot?
This was discussed last year when thelatest Rio first came out.
Even fully inflated the 17" wheel/tyre fitted to the Rio3will fit in the well but it stands proud by about 1-2".
The overall diameter of the standard tyres when fitted to the 15",16" and 17" wheels are virtually the same. It's only the width that is different.

Edited by: Wipikia

1 - 20 of 54 Posts