Kia Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Would not fit a powerbox or remap regardless of the manufacturer on any car of mine even if it was free. I simply buy a car that has enough power in the first place.
Paul

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I would be happy to give it a try once my warranty expires. Kia mapping is not the best, see the trouble people are having in the Venga part of the forum.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Paul, calm yerself man if people want to remap for for more power or go the tuning box way then its upto them.

Have you tried a tuning box or remap ? If not then how can you say it is not worth it.

I have a bike thats got 197hp and I can remap it to achieve gains of
over 200hp so thats good . I cant buy a bike in any shop as standard
which has more than 197 so if I want more horses I have to go either
turbo it or remap with different cans or velocity stacks. So these guys
who bought a standard kia spend a few bucks on a power gain is up to
them and it DOES work I know I've got it and tried it.

I also know if you want serious power gains then you have to spend alot on achieving this.

Its their choice and its what they can afford and if they are happy then great.

But please dont attack the them for it.

Davy

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Had a chip form a well known company many years ago, more out of interest than expectation.Fortunately the person that fitted it had a rolling road and did a power run before and after. It added about 4 bhp but the CO readings went through the roof and he took it out and sent it back. Never trusted one since.
I am fully aware how much money has to be spent to get good power gains, been doing it for years, my cuurent "fun" car cost about £2500 to get the power from 135bhp to 175 bhp, how I wish a "tuning box" for £240 could have acheived the same gain but it simply cannot. To get extra power you need more fuel and more air, simple as that.

Why people keep insisting that Kia mapping is not the best and then add a simple box that only adds extra fuel is simply beyond me but it takes all sorts.

I personally don't think the Venga problem is anything to do with the map, the map cannot be different one day to next orre-map itself during the day even. That to me looks more like a bad sensor or wiring fault sending inconsistent signals to the ECU which are then acted upon within the set parameters. No re-map or tuning box would change the inconsistencies that those owners are experiencing, the inconsistencies would still be there. All CRDi Vengas shouldhave the same map and only 8 people at the last count on here have a problem.

Not attacking anyone, just trying to point out to people that you dont get owt for nowt as we say oop north. A few months ago are-mapper was on here claiming to be able to get an extra 30bhp out of a Picanto with a remap but fortunately he appears to have gone back to cloud cookoo land.

Paul

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
That is probably the case with petrol engines but with the diesel these tuning boxes or remaps certainly give you more than 4hp gains. I cant say its 25hp or 50lb/ft torque increase without seeing it on a dyno or air/fuel ratios but my butt dyno feel is certainly more than4hp. They do work well the one I have had on for 2 years now does and I can vouch for it.
Paul I now to get your gains in your single seater would cost as much as you say with lightening different cams, carbs or fuel injection and head porting etc and its true with the bikes alot needs to be spent on mods to achieve 30hp gains.
I would love to give you a test drive of my Rio with and without the box and you would be impressed with the gains. Anyone I have given a shot of or have been passenger has commented on how quick it is. I have it set so that there is no black smoke from exhaust so it aint over fuelling.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
May be impressed if I tried one but I try to buy a car that I am happy with in standard trim. That's what research and thetest drive are for.
One thing that no one has mentioned recently is that if you have a car with a dpf you are asking for big problems with re-maps or tuning boxes. On the continent they have had dpf's much longer than us and there are loads of posting where owners have had to remove the boxes etc when they have had problems with the dpf.
Paul

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
The Rio diesel is the most powerful one that Kia do in that model and if you can up the power for a little money then thats great as long as you are out of warranty tho'.
There are companies that are doing tuning boxes for cars fitted with DPFs and say they dont cause any faults but thats another argument I suppose

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Engines come off the production line with quite a big spread of power outputs, fuel across the world is not always of a good standard. The cars may have to operate over a huge range of temperatures from Finland to Spain. Then there are variousrules about emissions. All these things have to be taken into account by car manufacturers, so they have to map for the lowest common denominator. With turbo charged common rail diesel engines, performance all comes down to mapping. If you get a map done which is perfectly suited your particular engine and situation, it's quite likely you're going to get better results than a bog standard map. I think it is already amazing that a tiny little 1.5 litre engine can put out 110 HP, but it seems even more can be squeezed out of it without great difficulty, without damaging the engine and without impacting on fuel economy.
Not everyone can afford to splash out on a more expensive model with more power, which may well have exactly the same engine, but just be mapped differently! The other big advantage with the 1.5 CRDi Rio is that it is in the £30 tax band. Putting a box or a remap on it will not change that.

It's just the same as it was with computer chips a few years back. Often you could buy the cheaper model and overclock it to exactly the same speed or higher than the more expensive model and save yourself a lot of money.

If someone has a 6 year old Rio and they want to have a bit of a play with it, I say so long as you've told the insurance co. and you accept the risks, go for it! (Providedyou tell us how you get on!!!
)

Edited by: M4trundler

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Paul, a quick look at the Venga thread, I can see at least 11 and counting...

You could be right abouta faulty sensor, or it could well be a problem with the map. If a line of code in the map is not written properly, it could cause this kind of problem. For example, if the instruction says "at temperature A, doX and at temperature B, do Y" then you could see such symptoms. The map has to respond very quickly to a huge number of sensor inputs. All of these have to be properly co-ordinated in the map.

The important thing is Kia investigate the problem and get it sorted. At the moment, I could not recommend the Venga to anyone. It has an interesting appeal, but it needs time to mature and get its problems ironed out. For now, I say BUY A RIO CRDi while they're still available!!!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I agree with you there M4 its a great wee car with a stonking engine and now Kia going to dump it for a 1.1 and 1.4 which has less power. The mind boggles

·
Registered
235 Posts
M4, you are exactly correct, different continents with warm/cold air mass and the same map for each...so there are areas that can be highlighted..
Example; VW SPAM/Passat, same engine, different map, 115/130Bhp, buy the 130 and pay 3 grand more..for what...a different map that has only 1 curve.

Our Boxes give you 9 different curves to suit your economy or power drive.

In 2003 when i first got involved with the Kia Sorento, our German partner purchased 2 indentical Sorento's XS WITH 138bHP from same dealer.

When developing file for these it soon became apparant that one of them would not tune the same as other...it would give very poor results on the 4 wheel dyno...

After removing the ecu from the footwell it was seen that although it was made by bosch, the troublesome one was made under licence in Asia. This had different values, and a seperate file was written for it.

When i purchased my 2004 Xs, the original software worked ok and gave no problems...so we started promoting this PowerBox for the Sorento...

6 months later i then sold 4 PowerBoxes to an agent in North of England who after reselling them to 2003/2004 models informed me that 2 of the boxes would not work properly.

It later transpired these 2 Sorento's were imports from Cyprus with again different ecu's...Kia were informed of this and since 2005 ecu's have been original bosch production with no further hick ups....

Well...untill Kia launched the new KX Sorento....we are now in the same position, as my German partner tested 2 at the nurburg ring and developed a map that would work perfectly in man/auto with a dpf.

So far we have sold 23 units and 5 of these will not work, in the same way as the original Sorento would not.

One of my Uk customers is actually driving through Germany touring and will pop in to have the filewritten for him..................so we are wondering..is this the problem with the Venga..maybe not !!

Taff

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
davy said:
I agree with you there M4 its a great wee car with a stonking engine and now Kia going to dump it for a 1.1 and 1.4 which has less power. The mind boggles
Hi Davy,

Good to see you back! Tried sending you a pm a while ago as I hadn't seen you for so long, but your inbox is full.

The 1.7CRDi Rio should be good when it comes out, but I doubt it'll be in the £30 tax band.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts