Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, has anyone plumped for a variant of the Rio in MHEV form yet, and if so does it have any benefits,

i have the t-gdi atm in my 1st edition and am looking in the near future to get a newer car, like the Rio and considering my options.

Super Moderator
And in there lies my quandary,
I guess you are looking at "3" or the GT-S?

kia are not making it easy. As most of the range higher spec have them fitted....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess you are looking at "3" or the GT-S?

kia are not making it easy. As most of the range higher spec have them fitted....
Yes I want to get the equivalent of my 1st edition, but 23k is a huge chunk to drop on a small family hatch, I'm still thinking of a SUV built on the same size platform, but cant make my mind up on that either, Stonic is to fat, i want higher driving position like the ecosport, Kia limiting me to look at the Niro for that, but think thats to wide and large for my needs,

Like the Kia brand, but finding it hard to find a good balance in any of the cars,

Super Moderator
Stonic is a good drive, it is based on Rio chassis. It is a quite raised driving position (then again I came from a Pug 207CC) & daughters Picanto
More than Happy with the 3 years I had mine, but despite getting older I need a bigger boot now for mobility scooter.

Not found any real difference driving wise between Stonic & Niro despite being bigger, not even sure that driving position is higher in the niro, does not seem it to me. But inside is a massive change. I feel almost lost in the space.

One bonus of the Niro is the MPG. Stonic managed 40 MPG over 18K, after 2K Niro Hybrid is on 51 MPG. With more to come from experience of how Kia average mpg works.
So is a clear winner in that way.

Registered
All, has anyone plumped for a variant of the Rio in MHEV form yet, and if so does it have any benefits,

i have the t-gdi atm in my 1st edition and am looking in the near future to get a newer car, like the Rio and considering my options.
I've got the MHEV one in 3 trim (the GT-S doesn't add anything major apart from different styling this time), had it since December.. I like it. (I had the previous 2017 non MHEV 3 version too)..

It's suprising how often and for how long it will coast (sailing mode) with the engine off, so it has to be saving some fuel (I haven't driven enough to be sure on the numbers yet as I've been WfH due to covid). Happens anywhere from 20mph down my street to 70+ on the M1.. It also does make a small difference from the older petrol only when its used in torque boosting mode during acceleration, though it will only do that for at most a couple of seconds.

The electronic clutch is surprisingly unnoticeable other than its ability to allow the car to turn off (stop-start) at anythign under 30 when slowing down for traffic lights, only to turn back on when you release the brake slightly too early when coming off the clutch, meaning the car then sits running at the lights instead of being stop-started.. And the only other noticeable change is the Entertainment system is more refined (and slightly larger).. and there's a basic road following self drive mode now.. which also works well but it lethal since it gives no audible warning when it intends to turn off.

Biggest issue.. the battery fills the space for the spare tire.. so you can't have one. (oh.. and you cant get it in graphite anymore which is what i had last time and it looks like you may have from your avatar )

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got the MHEV one in 3 trim (the GT-S doesn't add anything major apart from different styling this time), had it since December.. I like it. (I had the previous 2017 non MHEV 3 version too)..

It's suprising how often and for how long it will coast (sailing mode) with the engine off, so it has to be saving some fuel (I haven't driven enough to be sure on the numbers yet as I've been WfH due to covid). Happens anywhere from 20mph down my street to 70+ on the M1.. It also does make a small difference from the older petrol only when its used in torque boosting mode during acceleration, though it will only do that for at most a couple of seconds.

The electronic clutch is surprisingly unnoticeable other than its ability to allow the car to turn off (stop-start) at anythign under 30 when slowing down for traffic lights, only to turn back on when you release the brake slightly too early when coming off the clutch, meaning the car then sits running at the lights instead of being stop-started.. And the only other noticeable change is the Entertainment system is more refined (and slightly larger).. and there's a basic road following self drive mode now.. which also works well but it lethal since it gives no audible warning when it intends to turn off.

Biggest issue.. the battery fills the space for the spare tire.. so you can't have one. (oh.. and you cant get it in graphite anymore which is what i had last time and it looks like you may have from your avatar )
Thank you very much, this feedback was exactly what I have been looking for, while I love the Graphite I have atm I really like the azure blue in the new range, was looking at the 3 model myself to get away from Kia's horrid corrosive diamond cut wheels, but would prefer the half cloth in the GT line S, also the front fogs look slightly better on the GT line, it will be the 3 model for me though, the one thing I will defo miss though is the keyless start, my driving is over a lot of valleys for work so i coast alot of my journey atm so going on what you say it may be beneficial for me in the long run, we will have to see, alas not looking till later in the year, so fingers crossed on what is available used then,

Registered
Thank you very much, this feedback was exactly what I have been looking for, while I love the Graphite I have atm I really like the azure blue in the new range, was looking at the 3 model myself to get away from Kia's horrid corrosive diamond cut wheels, but would prefer the half cloth in the GT line S, also the front fogs look slightly better on the GT line, it will be the 3 model for me though, the one thing I will defo miss though is the keyless start, my driving is over a lot of valleys for work so i coast alot of my journey atm so going on what you say it may be beneficial for me in the long run, we will have to see, alas not looking till later in the year, so fingers crossed on what is available used then,
I've actually got the Zest Yellow this time - I have one of the first ones in the UK due to bad timing on the ending of my PCP, and I could only order the standard colour, which was just described as Yellow in the briefing (it wasn't yet being marketed or on the website at the time I ordered) I didn't even see the colour before ordering - I actually like it though.. even though Id have had graphite if I could.

One huge benefit actually talking of Keyless (which id also like).. You can now lock the car if you forgot too as the Uvo system sends you a notification telling you to do it, and you can do it via the app.

You reminded me.. the new wheels on the 3 are nowhere near as nice as the old 3 ones. I've attached a photo in real life as they were nothing like this on the website last time I looked.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah they are the ones advertised on Kia website now, not the best but at least they are not diamond cut, have to agree with you the last 3 wheels were better, these ones are closer to the look on the 2011 to 2017 models wheels.

The yellow looks striking tbf, the uvo fact is a great touch to be fair,

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like Sporty Blue and get 4.6L/100km when I drive.

WOW that's an impressive MPG there mate, once converted that's high 50's for us brits, but we do have 20% more BHP than you guys in our version, so I guess that has an impact, you've had that a while now mate how you getting on with it, compared to your piccy, taking size out of the equation,

Registered
Its nice for an automatic of sorts. The DCT has its quirks but the rest is good and surprisingly enough power for the same output as my GT Picanto (think it is the 7 gears that helps here). The wife loves it so that is all that matters but I like to drive it too. The lane keep and other safety features are a nice to have but have to remember to turn off the idle/stop as that causes issues for my driving style at roundabouts. I wish we were offered the Hybrid as I would have go one!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.