Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it has to be said, the Rio is not that great in the snow.

Too much torque in 1st or 2nd to pull away so I have had to use 3rd gear then change back to second once moving.

The moment I touch the brakes the back wheels lock up and ABS kicks in.

Not very forgiving, which is a shame.

I am sure the tyres are no help at all in this weather (should find out next year with a better set of tyres).

Still think the Rio is a great car overall though.

So what do other peoples Rio's handle in this weather ?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Not had any snow in glasgow area yet, but its coming soon
so cant give a definit answer yet. I would imagine it will spin up easily due to the brilliant torque the engine is putting out.
Having wide wheels on minewill not help in snowy conditions so if its ongoing I will put the standard wheels/tyres back on.

I have a weigh bridge at work and the front end with me at 90kg weighs in about 860kg and back end is 440kg roughly. So its a bit light on the rear end which may cause rear wheels to lock up easily and abs to come in.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Picanto was scary this morning. Dont know about a Rio. Taking a cypriot sportage home tonite. Titan auto for all intents and purposes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi we have alot of snow here in lincolnshire. found my rio crdi no problem at all.

It has 16inch wheels and wide tyres fitted got to go where ever i wanted to.

Use light throttle on setting off but agree with you about abs coming on i just braked lightly and sooner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have found my rio awful in the snow to be honest. Mainly due to the tyres though I believe. Anyone know where I can buy alternative rims for putting on a set of winter tyres on. I have an 08 CRDi 2.

Many thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Don't mean to sound rude (what with me being still a 'newbie'). But I work with a raelly driver and he says that 90% of car-driving-performance is all down to the drive and not hte machine (the other 10% attributes to things like ABS - although he drive a car without such moden luxeries)! Anyhow, I'd tend to agree with him. As many moons ago when Snow devistated (lol) Swansea (and to cut a very long story short) 4x4's couldn't get over a particular bridge - anyhow, I chickened out and my mate 'had a go' only to do it on one swift action leaving hte 4x4 driver(s) to look in amazement!

He tought me a lot that day - since then I have found driving in Snow really easy (except for ABS - which is a nightmare)!

Point being and without offending - could it be the driver and not the car???

PS. I've just bought mine and wont be in receipt of it until April/ May...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe the standard tyres are really terrible.

When it shows, if I drive on the same roads in my wife's Astra 2.0l DTI it does not slide or wheel spin at all on the same surfaces (the tyres are larger and wider) and all of this without the traction light coming on.

Yet if I drive the same roads in the Rio its just terrible.
It could also be that the weight of the car is less than the Astra and more torque than the Astra but I still think the main reason is because of the naff tyres.

These will be changed soon enough.

Edited by: diddy1234

·
Registered
33 Posts
diddy1234 said:
It could also be that the weight of the car is less than the Astra and more torque than the Astra but I still think the main reason is because of the naff tyres.

These will be changed soon enough.

I'd go along with that too (tyres), as that would be the 10% - but then I find that stearing rigerously left-to-right until grip is found counter acts stearing problems... wouldn't try this at home, find an area without any cars and trully get to know your machine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings,
I purchased my first Kia Rio Strike 2 weeks back. Have to say excellent service from suppliers F J Chalke of Mere Wiltshire. Took car to Exmoor for test drive for a week; found it to be excellent handling, a tad hard on suspension, but its new and even so presented with no problem, better adhesion on bends etc. Had two passengers, one a former Police Traffic Officer, his comments "Excellent car" So, I hope that this will continue to be my view in the years to come. The seven year warranty a definite BONUS.

·
Registered
33 Posts
terryw said:
Greetings,
I purchased my first Kia Rio Strike 2 weeks back. Have to say excellent service from suppliers F J Chalke of Mere Wiltshire. Took car to Exmoor for test drive for a week; found it to be excellent handling, a tad hard on suspension, but its new and even so presented with no problem, better adhesion on bends etc. Had two passengers, one a former Police Traffic Officer, his comments "Excellent car" So, I hope that this will continue to be my view in the years to come. The seven year warranty a definite BONUS.

Great stuff, my bubble has been restored... thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts