Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a 58 plate Rio2 CRDI great car, but I dont like having an normal bulb in the Centre High Level Brake Light.

I want to replace it with an LED bulb but cant find out how to do it.

Does anyone know how to access the bulb in the high level brake light, allI can see is plastic trim.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Why does the bulb bother you so much? I think it's more hassle than it's worth to replace it with an LED unit. You'd have to find one that's DOT approved, then you'd have to tell your insurance co. you've modified your car, probably pushing up your premium.

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,278 Posts
Sadly M4trundler is correct. Unless your car is UK'E' approved to have LED bulbs from new you cannot retrofit them legally.Therefore Led lights are not otherwise legal under UK law. But they are under European Law. So under the unified type approval it's legal for a manufacturer to supply a car fitted with them them anywhere in Europe and for them to be driven anywhere in Europe but not for them to be retro fitted to a UK car in the UK unless it has the relevent 'E' approval. This is because the UK has a minimumas well as amaximum wattage for automotive bulbs which the LED bulb cannot meet. Also the LED bulb has a typical beam of 30 degrees whereas the tungsten bulb has a beam of 90 degrees which again does not meet the UK regs.
It's a funny old world.........

Phil

·
Registered
536 Posts
You can get SMD LED's that have a wider beam of upto 120 degrees but again...legality and why pay if you don't have to? And led sidelights around my area will get you 3points, a fine and a telling off. If your lucky! You have a crash and it's because the person you hit or hit you (even if they did see you) All they have to say is they couldn't see you and your insurance company walks away and your on your own! A standard bulb burns away the filament if it's broken while on which proves it was on in a crash. LEDs dont and leave not forensic proof. Edited by: RichieD76

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.