Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Rio great in the snow

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  kiariocrdi 
#1 ·
Been driving my 02' Rio 1.3 alot in the snow recently and i gotta say it hasn't skidded or anything and seems to handle it all very well, and i'm seeing cars skidding all over the place ! Even 4x4's!

I could put it down to my excellent driving skill i guess but i only passed about 3 weeks ago!

#6 ·
I've got a new and an old Rio.

Myold 03Rio petrol hasfairly new summer tyres on the front andit went quite well in the snow. I was impressed, on winter tyres it would have been fantastic.

The new Rio has winter tyres and runs ok, but not that great. You have to be careful not to use too muchthrottle or the wheels will not grip. Once you get going it'snot too badand you can blast by people struggling on summer tyres (who look at you as if you're some kind of crazed maniac!) Even so, you have to be careful on the throttle or you'll get some torque steer, so you have to feel your way along. Interestingly, I've foundthe CRDi Rio ismuch better in the snow if you drive in reverse! There seems to be more grip...could just be down to the asymmetric tyre pattern.

Just got back from Germany, the snow there was bad on Christmas Eve. The snow ploughs kept the roads open, but usually only one lane. Got through some fairly deep snow without problems (up to about 8 inches) and was able to drive through about 3 to 4 inches of snow on top of ice no problem. The roads were almost empty which helped a lot.
Edited by: M4trundler

#7 ·
i'd say its much to do with the tyres you have on, the stock Kumhos are just poor in anything but casual drive in the dry. I have since swapped with some trusted Toyo Proxies T1R, even though they are summer tyres they did fair well in the snow. but yeah easy on the go pedal for diesels.

#9 ·
What type of tyres did you have batavus? I've put my Summer tyres back on since the weather got so much warmer, but I think I'll put the Winters back on if as predicted it gets cold again this weekend. I think we'll get another dose of snow in Feb, so I'm watching the weather closely.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.