Kia Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
The GT Line 1.0 3cyl T with DCT is very smooth to drive and very economical. Recent trip west returned 4.9L/ 100 which is very good.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I see the new Rio is up on the Kia UK website now. Nearly £20K for a GT Line S though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The GT Line 1.0 3cyl T with DCT is very smooth to drive and very economical. Recent trip west returned 4.9L/ 100 which is very good.
How is the Rio after a little bit of running in? Looking at the GT-Line S myself and currently have the 1.0 Turbo Picanto which is a really fun, little nippy car. There was a couple of things I was curious on with the Rio; does it have a drive select button and if so do you happen to a photo of it and what are said drive modes? Secondly, is there a wireless charger at all or is it just USB points?

·
Registered
564 Posts
How is the Rio after a little bit of running in? Looking at the GT-Line S myself and currently have the 1.0 Turbo Picanto which is a really fun, little nippy car. There was a couple of things I was curious on with the Rio; does it have a drive select button and if so do you happen to a photo of it and what are said drive modes? Secondly, is there a wireless charger at all or is it just USB points?
The drive mode has a button in front of the shifter and tiptronic function using the shifter. Unfortunately the AU model does not have wireless charger.

it still goes well for a 3Cyl 1.0 Turbo :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
Having had a look at the U.K. specification brochure, It seems that the 1.0 T-GDi engine for the new Rio comes in one of two power outputs: 99BHP (74.9KW) or 118BHP (89.3KW). So it appears that there is the option for either the detuned variant (as before) or the more powerful (as before) tune. The new 48V (mild hybrid) engine however, is only available for the higher tuned, 118BHP (89.3KW) engines.

What’s more interesting though is the torque figures... both the 99BHP (74.9KW) and manual 118BHP (89.3KW) engines have the outgoing engines 172Nm of torque... but the 118BHP auto (DCT) has an increased 200Nm of torque from the old GT-Line DCT’s 171Nm...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Having had a look at the U.K. specification brochure, It seems that the 1.0 T-GDi 48V (mild hybrid) engine for the new Rio comes in one of two power outputs: 99BHP (74.9KW) or 118BHP (89.3KW).
Only the 118bhp has the mild hybrid technology. The 99bhp version is the same non-hybrid powertrain as the pre-facelift model.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Only the 118bhp has the mild hybrid technology. The 99bhp version is the same non-hybrid powertrain as the pre-facelift model.
Have updated post to reflect. I think the very interesting part is the upped 200Nm of torque for the 118BHP 48V DCT

·
Registered
564 Posts
Having had a look at the U.K. specification brochure, It seems that the 1.0 T-GDi engine for the new Rio comes in one of two power outputs: 99BHP (74.9KW) or 118BHP (89.3KW). So it appears that there is the option for either the detuned variant (as before) or the more powerful (as before) tune. The new 48V (mild hybrid) engine however, is only available for the higher tuned, 118BHP (89.3KW) engines.

What’s more interesting though is the torque figures... both the 99BHP (74.9KW) and manual 118BHP (89.3KW) engines have the outgoing engines 172Nm of torque... but the 118BHP auto (DCT) has an increased 200Nm of torque from the old GT-Line DCT’s 171Nm...
The MY21 is only claimed to be 74kW/ 174Nm in AU and we only get one version. We wont get any of the hybrid versions here for ages :(

In theory you would always expect an associated torque increase with a higher power tune, however KIA has not been real accurate with its brochures lately.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The MY21 is only claimed to be 74kW/ 174Nm in AU and we only get one version. We wont get any of the hybrid versions here for ages :(

In theory you would always expect an associated torque increase with a higher power tune, however KIA has not been real accurate with its brochures lately.
That’s odd that you’re not getting the mild hybrids for the time being...

Only thing I would say is that with the old model, we still had both the 99BHP and the 118BHP. Now we have both but the 118BHP variant is the mild hybrid. The DCT version of the mild hybrid also has a bump of torque up to 200Nm but the manual version of the 118BHP mild hybrid still has 172Nm...

·
Registered
236 Posts
When they released the info on the new Rio mild hybrid the only real improvement was the approx. 20% increase in torque from the electric assistance, no extra bhp or efficiency,

·
Registered
31 Posts
When they released the info on the new Rio mild hybrid the only real improvement was the approx. 20% increase in torque from the electric assistance, no extra bhp or efficiency,
My question is why is this only on the DCT and not the manual with the exact same engine? 🤔

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had a response from KIA on the increased torque which is exclusive to the 118HP 48V mild hybrid DCT automatic:

“It is just the DCT.

... it operates at a higher RPM which gives a different torque figure to the manual, as it’s tuned slightly differently.”

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a blue GT line Plus in Blue.It has just turned over 1000km in NZ Invercargill
Great car, and plenty safety features which I am still working to learn The Turbo is awesome.
It will be in for the 1500km check next week and on reading all the apparent Warranty problems that seem to be in good old UK I will be having the car serviced at Kia all the time.
Down under we only have a 5 year warranty

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a blue GT line Plus in Blue.It has just turned over 1000km in NZ Invercargill
Great car, and plenty safety features which I am still working to learn The Turbo is awesome.
It will be in for the 1500km check next week and on reading all the apparent Warranty problems that seem to be in good old UK I will be having the car serviced at Kia all the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2021 Rio has 3 drive modes. SPORT (real snazzy) NORMAL (Old mans driving) and ECO (a Bit jerky)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Strange that Cuz over the Ditch gets 7 Years and first check is 3000km!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Its actually a 7 speed DCT 1.0 T the same motor/ output as my GT. It has way more go than the 1.25 Picanto but different as it is a lot wider! It actually goes as good as my GT but smoother due to the DCT.
That DCT is brilliant I have one in my GT line Rio the cars are smooth and fast for the engine size, had mine since March 2019 and totally still love the car. I have now done 15,000 miles without fault and tempted to keep the car long term so change the oil and filters at 5,000 mile intervals and not the 10,000 recommended by Kia.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts