Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

This is my first post on this forum and I was wondering what the diesel rio is like.
I have had a test drive and am looking at buying a 'chill' but was wondering what its like to live with day in, day out.

I was also wondering what the MPG figures are like.
From what I have been reading, some people have not achieved the official quoted figures.

Edited by: diddy1234

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just an update.

I will be picking up a rio 'chill' next Monday.

I can't wait (yes a little excited) :)

I guess I will find out then.

·
Registered
887 Posts
You'll enjoy it!
Great car to drive, lots of power, and economy is normally around the 50mpg+ don't expect 62mpg, thats only gonna happen on a rolling road in a wind tunnel.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I have had the car almost a week now and just almost used a tank full of diesel.
I am trying to rak up the mileage to get past 600 miles (as per the handbook).
first tank full took 39 litres to fill up (till garage pump cut out) for 380 miles covered.

according to ( http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php ) this works out at 45mpg.

I am expecting better as :-
1. get used to a turbo diesel engine and stop putting my foot down enjoying the torque
2. improvement as everything beds in and engine gets used to being used / driven.

I always keep a note of the mileage and litres used to fill back up as I think this is the most accurate way to get mpg's.

as for the car, I have never had such a smile on my face in terms of such easy driving around town and effortless cruising on the motorway.
Its great fun sitting in the left hand lane of a motorway waiting for a gap then finding a gap and put my foot down. I dont even have to change down and go.
there's so much torque !

The real value of the rio only get realized when you think that this car is lighter than a corsa, its a bigger car, more power so its quicker and yet is still very economical in the 'supermini' sized class

RD

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Diddy
I have had my Rio diesel for about a year now and really enjoy driving it. As you say it is really responsive on the m'way when you need to overtake. You might get more mpg if you make sure that your air con is off. That is the only downside to my car. It comes on every time I switch on the blower. I usually get around 50 mpg on a run.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks indy

Thanks for the reply.
I toohave found the overtaking ability impressive as well.
I had to take it easy the first 600 miles but now I am able to open it up more.
Hill climbing is also impressive.

I am glad that after a year its still a good car for you.

Funny enough I had a courtesy call from kia today for a survey.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I like my Rio diesel. I've had it since August 08, 150 miles on the clock, costing me £8195. It's now on just shy of 15k miles. It hasn't skipped a beat once.

The main plus points are (taking price into consideration):

- Acceleration is excellent and on the motoroway there's little need to ever change down.

- It accelerates from about 40mph up to and beyond 70mph effortlessly.

- It's nippy

- It is comfortable for the 40 mile each way commute.

- The steering is really light

- The gear change is smooth

- I like the radio and the speakers are sufficient.

- I love the USB and Aux connectors on the stereo

-I like the way the headlights work; that is, they switch off on removing the key, and back on when you replace the key. No leaving lights on, or forgetting to turn them on. Almost like auto-lights.

- £35 road tax

Negative points

- Economy not as published, but that's no surprise.

- Need new front tyres soon. Probably will replace at next service. Is 20k miles good for tyres? I don't know.

- I can't drive it when wearing my work boots. I missed the brake pedal and went for the clutch instead. Nearly killed the car and probaby me. I don't wear the boots when driving anymore.

Hope my experience helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts