Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd join up and post this as this forum helped when I was trying to choose which car to buy last summer. Thought others trying to decide might find this helpful.
Previous car was a 28yr old 1.1l Mk 1 Polo, so anything would have been better!

That said, I was really dissapointed with the performance of some (most) cars I test drove. Not that I want to go racing around the place, but having enough power to overtake was on the wish list - not really being able to do it in the Polo. My partner has a 2002 1.0l Seat Arosa (VW Lupo) and that also lacks power when it comes to overtaking, but was quieter and more comfortable than the Polo. So we used to go on holiday in her car and use it for long journeys, going out at the weekend etc.

Anyway, the choice seemed to narrow down to the 1.5l Rio CRDi or the 1.6l Fiesta TDCi.

Air conditioning was on the list, as was 5 doors, electric windows, good safety rating (ideally inc. curtain airbags), ABS, and comfortable driving position.

I so very nearly bought the Fiesta, but now I'm really glad I didn't.

A few things that put me off the Rio: Reports of uneven front tire wear (not seen this on mine),unsure of availability of spare parts (but I phoned a local spares supplier and he said "yes not a problem"), it was an "unknown" whereas I knew Ford had been around for years and loads of people have them so "they must be ok".

Also the Rio was about 3k cheaper - which made me a little suspicious - I'm planning on keeping it for a while (probably 10+ years unless enviromental policy effectively forces me to change to an electric car or horse or something...). So I didn't want to save 3k now but then end up spending loads on the car in a few years because of inferior build quality.

I bought the Rio, it's a 09 plate 1.5l CRDi in metallic red (which gives a slight orange tint when in full sun, which I really like). The model is a "3" which probably isn't current any more but gives air-con, leather steering wheel/gear knob, slightly larger alloy wheels, curtain airbags, chrome interior door release/locks, heated & electric mirrors, front fog lamps, different fabric/control panels.

I also had rear parking sensors fitted, and had mudflaps and fabric mats.

All I can say is that I really love the car. I'm getting about 400 miles from a tank driving to/from work (8 miles each way 30mph max across north Bristol). Long journeys on the motorway do a bit better. It's comfortable, the air-con seems to work ok from what I can remember of the end of summer last year (!), but it also comes on automatically to dry the air when the air direction selector is set to screen or "screen and feet" which is useful. Although I do worry a little about running the air-con all the time - at this time of year I tend to have it on screen & feet all the time or the screen steams up and I get cold!

The radio/cd player is pretty good. Sound quality is excellent especially from CD/MP3 - great bass response. Very handy being able to plug in a USB stick with MP3 files on and play them, plus there's a flip-down cubby hole just above to put the USB stick in when you leave the car. The 3.5mm jack is good for using my old MP3 player. There's a cigarette lighter plus an additional socket.

The ABS stopped me sliding in the car park at work when it was snowing, and I've felt it maybe twice when having to break sharply on wet roads too.

Niggles (but they don't stop me enjoying the car):

Sun-visors have a sprung mechanism to make them stay shut, but it also makes them want to open and lie fairly against the windscreen - sometimes you need them to basically be vertical and they don't want to stay in this position.

Reverse gear is sometimes hard to select properly, leading to a slight grinding/spinning sound when you raise the clutch. Doesn't always do it, and doesn't seem to be getting worse, or better! Not sure if I should get this looked at or not - maybe somebody on here can advise (if you're still reading this far down!). I know how it feels now so can tell if it's not gone into reverse properly beforeI bring the clutch up, but it's annoying.

No intermittent on the rear wiper. The rear window seems to get filthy driving on a wet salty/dirty road, especially fast roads, but the rear wiper is either off or on continuously. I don't do much motorway driving so it's not too much of a problem for me.

Coming from such an old car to the Rio I could spend loads of time saying how useful variable intermittent windscreen wipers are, or how I like how the rear fog light is changed back to being switched off every time you turn the ignition off. But Isuppose that's nothing new if your last car was slightly less than 28 years old.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I am glad that your happy with the car.

I have had mine over a year now and I am still impressed with the car.
The 1.5l Diesel engine just seems to get better (performance and economy) as the miles rack up.

I have noticed (could be because of a diesel engine) that hard accelerations are great fun but don't do justice to the fuel economy.
Accelerating gently instead of a heavy foot really helps the fuel economy regardless if you drive at 70 or 80mph

just a tip that I have noticed over 21k miles of driving the Rio

Edited by: diddy1234

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I do tend not to roar away from traffic lights etc. on the whole.

Though interestingly I ended up racing a Golf away from the lights by accident on a bit of dual carriageway after I'd had the car for a couple of months. I just put my foot down when the lights went green, as you do,the Rio went (as it does!), and then shortly after I heard this noise from just behind on the drivers side and realised what it was and though "ok, we're still only up to 30, the speed limit is 50, so let's keep my foot on the pedal and see what happens". And it was quite entertaining... Especially when I levelled off at 50 and they whizzed past straight into a speed camera. ;-)

Technically I would have lost, but that initial acceleration is most impressive.

I should point out that was an exception and I most certainly do not see traffic lights as racing opportunities!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Worth using air con every month just to keep the system in order.
My diesel seems to be getting better the more I use it, and also fuel.

Welcome to the KIA tribe.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My bro is a mechanic and he says the same - to always use the ACthroughoutthe year, it keeps the components from ceasing up (not constantly, but when your core temperature is OK, then give it a whirl for a wee bit)! This does of course go against your MPG - eeek!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts