234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spotted this on ebay if anyone is interested it's a 2 spec
Item number: 190608764469 and another! 320803435324

Edited by: Armac08

·
Registered
328 Posts
i also think the new Rios are over priced and under powered.

the old rio was priced well and worked very well.

it seems that Kia want to move up market and charge more at the same time

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
There is way too much of an increase in OTR prices.
£10600 for the base model and £14900 for top model where the old model was £8400 for base and £11550 for top one.
Some difference in prices eh. Just cant get my head round how they can hike it up that amount just cause its a new model. I would have accepted about a grand of an increase. The engine choice is poor in my opinion and they dumped the best engine they had for a Rio and that was the 1.5CRDI unit. Pure Madness.
I had money waiting to buy the new Rio but when I saw the prices and engine choice I declined to go ahead with it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Good decision Davy. I just had a test drive in a Rio diesel and compared to the old 1.5crdi the performance is woefull. Nice car otherwise but way over priced. I doubt if a remap could even generate enough power out of this 1.1 lump.

·
Registered
660 Posts
i agree davy and diddy,kia seem to be thinking their new models are a bit special and deserve a special price, my venga 3 1.6crdi is priced at over £16500! i know that car prices in general are up but come on,their nice and have lots of toys,but they are still kia s for now and have the problems to match.James.

·
Registered
437 Posts
eyebee said:
  Good decision Davy.  I just had a test drive in a Rio diesel and compared to the old 1.5crdi the performance is woefull.   Nice car otherwise but way over priced. I doubt if a remap could even generate enough power out of this 1.1 lump.
you have just compared the old 1.5 to the new 1.1?? What about the 1.4?And possibly a 1.25 turbo in the 3 door later this year...

·
Registered
437 Posts
davy said:
There is way too much of an increase in OTR prices.
£10600 for the base model and £14900 for top model where the old model was £8400 for base and £11550 for top one. 
Some difference in prices eh. Just cant get my head round how they can hike it up that amount just cause its a new model.
Maybe because the new Rio is in a whole different league compared to the old one. Lets face it the old Rio was outdated so quickly and the 1.5 was an old engine and will no longer meet various new standards in emissions etc. My old 40" TV cost 500 quid now the updated one with all the bells and whistles cost me 800... think about it my friend.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
They are still not worth the money the increase is what nearly 30%. You think thats acceptable, aye right.
The 1.5 compared to the 1.4 is still a better engine power wise and fuel consumption, yes I agree with you on emissions that is why it had to go but it was a 16valve common rail diesel engine which are still in use in todays cars not just Kia. So maybe they could have adapted it to suit the new rules on emission.
You ask anyone on here who has a 1.5CRDI unit in their Kia Rio or Cerato and they only give praise. The 1.4 on the other hand has generated a few complaints on here especially the Venga model.

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Oh and another thing if these new Rios dont sell well then that will affect the residual values. I would hate to think what a £14k Rio would be worth in 3 years. £6K maybe in a trade in. Shockeroonie

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Considering that the new Rio was only released in September the sales figures are quite good around 13,000 sold (http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=kia+rio),i think the improved looks quality and safety of the New Rio will assure it will retain it's value better than the old model.
It's certainly selling better than the older car.
Edited by: Armac08

·
Registered
225 Posts
As a more than happy New Rio 3 owner I agree with all the positive comments said about this model. Certain members of this forum are finding it hard to appreciate that the Rio has moved on and that it is no longer just a cheap and cheerful KIA with old-fashioned looks. I hope you will continue to enjoy your older model Rio's with theirarguablybetter (but outdated) engines for many years to come but please accept that there is a growing band of KIA customers who will willingly paya bit extra for a car more suited to the 21st Century.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I see plenty Rio MK2 up here in Glasgow area but the MK3 I have not seen one apart from a Kia showroom. I was in looking at them and was told sales were a bit slow by a sales manager who is a good friend of mine. Though maybe its just this area of Scotland and everywhere else is doing great. The figs you Wipikia quote could inc the old model as it was still for sale in 2011, i.e Black,Chill, CRDI, Domino.
Dont get me wrong here chaps I do really like the new Rio and it should be an improvement on the old model but I dont own one so cant compare but I do think they have got the engine choice wrong and should have stuck the 1.6CRDI unit from Ceed and Venga in it and the priice increase is way too much.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have not seen many on the road down here in Hertfordshire.

Admittedly the new Rio's are nice to look at and have better styling but the fact that the reviews say that the diesel engines need to be worked and are flat at 2,000 rpm seems odd for a diesel engine.

I just cant help but think that every motor manufacturer has now designed every car to be as low emissions as possible even to the point of designing gutless overweight cars.

The days of motoring blasts where you can have grin inducing acceleration has ended (unless you have deep pockets).

Edited by: diddy1234

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
If ya wanna go fast buy a motabike. But the government will put the Kibosh on motorcycles soon too.

·
Registered
328 Posts
ha ha true.

Been there done that and got hurt.
I used to be into motorbiking until I broke my leg, 36 weeks in plaster and then learnt to walk properly again.

ho hum.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
That must have been a bad one diddy, I've been lucky and never broke anything when I came off bikes. All crashes were under a 100mph. Hope not to come of the busa as it will be awffy sore at the speed that thing goes at.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts