Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what average mpg people are getting on their 1.5l Diesel Rio's

No matter how I drive the car I only seem to get between 46mpg and 48 mpg (but I have to drive like a saint to achieve this).
I get around 420 to 450 miles for a full tank.

The tyre pressures are checked and kept at the correct pressures.

The car is new with 2500 miles so I would assume that this figure will improve with age.

So what is the realistic figures that people are getting ?

Has anyone managed to achieve a calculated 560 miles to a full tank (60mpg) ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The best I ever got was just over 500 miles from a tank. That was a torturous week of 60mph constant, and the tank was more or less dry.

I tend to cruise between 75 and 80, and 420 - 450 miles is more or less spot on what I get. I'm now at 15k miles and it is getting marginally better. I have the aircon on constantly.

Typical daily commute is2 miles ofA/B roads each end, with 34 miles of motorway in the middle, twice daily (except weekends of course).

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well almost 15,000 miles covered now and I get between 46mpg and 51mpg (average over a tank full).

A full tank full is working out at 440 - 460 miles before the fuel light comes on.

Most of this driving is covered at around 70mph motorway driving (which I think is a bit naff - the fuel economy should be higher).

Has anyone noticed if the Rio is more economical at 60 mph ?

I tried a long drive to Birmingham at 60mph (heavy traffic on the M1) and the average economy over that tank full was a dreadful 46mpg !

I am beginning to wonder if 60 is too slow to be economical (not enough turbo boost) and 70mph is more economical. I could be wrong though.

So what average mpg figures is everyone else getting ?

Edited by: diddy1234

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Igot 58mpg on a 230 mile trip no faster than 70mph on M8 to M80 to A9 going north of Inverness. Which I think is good.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Davy, How many miles clocked up ?

I suspect more than my 15k.

If so great but if you have less than 15,000 miles on your car, then I may need to re-evaluate my driving style (which may actually be the case).

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
My Rio has done 22,000miles and is 3 year old. Not worked out town driving mpg but it must be in the 40's. Well pleased with the car. Next April the road tax goes down to £90 for the year giving a wee saving of £30.
I was at the Kia dealer today to see if there is anyway to stop the aircon coming on when the control is at demist or feet/demist and the blower on. he said there was no fix forit as it is built into thecontrol unit. I just leave the blower switch at 0 so it wont come on. Bit of a pain really I dont see the advantage of the aircon being set that way.
Edited by: davy

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I think if you accelerate moderately without full throttle and cruise at 70mph then the figure I got is possible for you.
I deliver upto Fort William on a Vw LT35 van and if I acceleratewith plenty throttleI use about 2 to 3 litres more on a 225 mile trip than being gentle with it but still doing the same cruising speed.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tip, I will try gentle acceleration up to 70mph on the motorways.

As for the air con coming on, I suspect there is a small micro switch at the blower (for the blow onto windscreen and feet).

If you are lucky enough to prize open the center console, you could disconnect that one switch as you can still turn on / off the air con via the button.

Kia's answer sounds like a bit of a fob off.

For me I have got used to the fact that the air con comes on in that blower position, I mainly set it to the blow onto feet and dashboard.
then if i want it to clear the screen then I turn it to clear the screen and press the air con button (to turn it off).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi i have my rio 1.5 crdi six month and covered 10k the average mpg per monthis the following.

39.5 48.02 47.53 54.12 49.73. the best figure i got was 55.74 I hope this helps. ps the total cost for the 10k is £669.04

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just covered 538 miles this last weekend and averaged 56mpg !

I am well impressed.
The car was loaded up with 5 people and most of it was cruising at 70mph (motorway).

Still to be convinced yet if driving at 60mph really saves any more on economy

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Thats pretty good mpg for being 5 up. When I got 58mpg I was myself and doing 70mph.
I bought one of they diesel tuning boxes by Pro-bitz and fitted itto my Rio the other day and my findings are loads more torque and boy does this car go. I am going down toThirsk/York tomorrow which wll be a round trip of about 440miles so I will monitor the fuel consumption and let you know.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Davy, I am definatly interested in this modification.

Is it a box that is added on to the ecu or an ecu map ?

How much and where from ?

Do you know the revised torque and bhp figures ?
normally 109bhp and 176ft/lb of torque.

I have heard rumours (lots of check and polish Rio owners) with remapping ecu's to 135bhp is ok but anything above this puts strain on the gear box, clutch and drive shafts.

Unfortuatley I will have to wait until the warranty runs out in order to purchase mine.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
The box has a wiring harness and plugs in between the fuel rail pressure sensor and ecu. You plug one end of harness into sensor and the other into the sensors wiring plug. The box is adjustable by turning small screw. Cost of box is £100 plus £6 postage. I got it from Ebay buy a seller calledPro-BitzThey have a web site www.pro-bitz.com Power goes from 110hp to 136hp Torque goes from 235Nm to 294Nm. (176ft/lb to 217ft/lb)

You could get one and if you needed to take car to Kia for sevicing or warranty just unplug it and take it off.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Davy thanks for the info.

I like the idea that it can be unplugged as opposed to a remap of the ecu.

Thanks again for the reply.

I may be tempted.....

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
It has a 5 year warranty and you can return it within 30 days to get a refund if not satisfied. The seller has excellent feedback and buyers are pleased with performance increase and some have also commented on better fuel consumption on their cars.

He also does them for other Kia diesel models and other makes of cars.Edited by: davy

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I got 52mpg today on the run to Thirsk and back. I was cruising 70 to 80mph mostly 80 tho' with passenger. On motorways M8/M74/M6 and A roads A66/A1. I am pretty happy with that. I used to have Ceed 1.4 petrol and it would only get 38mpg at they speeds.
What I should have done was checked the mpg on way down with the tuning box plugged in then unplugged it and checked the mpg on the return journey just to see if the box improved the mpg or not. Next time if I remember.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
davy, that's not bad at all.

For me to get 56mpg I was mainly driving between 65 -70mph.
Just goes to show that driving a little bit faster does not mean the fuel economy plummets.

I also wonder what difference the tuning box would make.
Thanks for reporting back

Edited by: diddy1234

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there,
I recently purchased a brand new Kia Rio 1.4. I've managed to average 28mpg over 2 months. And travelled an amazing 282 miles on one 45l tank. According to Kia figures the car should be averaging 38.7 mpg. Crazy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i have a 57 plate rio diesel that has just done 34,000 miles, i always get over 50mpg and that is mixed driving a good belt at 85 on the motorway and sitting in traffic.
i think its very good on fuel as i dont like to hang about and often take it to the red line, im sure i could get even more mpg if i drove more carefully.

In addition in those 34,000 miles i have had 3 services and 4 new tyres and its never missed a beat.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts