Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all im thinking of getting a new rio 1.5d, i have a nissan micra 1.5 cdi 88 bhp on an 09 plate at the moment.I know the rio is 109 bhp but the 0-60 time is the same on both cars an my micra is not slow but its not fast either and after reading alot of you guys and other people saying the rio is fasti just want to know if you guys think the rio will be faster then my current micra. any thoughts?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Don't know the relative weights of the RIO/Micra but the key is usually BHP per Ton.

If the Micra is say, 105bhp/ton and the heavier Rio is 100bhp/ton then the micra will usually be quicker/more responsive.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will give a more scietific explanation!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
The Rio 1.5 diesel will tan the ass off the micra. 110hpstandard. I can assure you it is no snail. I had one for 3 years and I also put a tuning box on it which pushes it upto 130hp and torque goes from 235Nm standard to 277Nm
Micra power is 85hp and 195Nm.
You will be very impressed with performance of the 1.5CRDI Rio. Go on get a road test and let me know what you think. If you dont think its faster I will eat my hat.
Just to add the Rio is 80kg heavier

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I wonder where that 80kg goes? I run my Rio in standard mode without a tuning box and it goes well. I think the 11.5 sec 0-60 is a bit conservative, with quick gear change I thinkI can beat that. Davy, any idea on the best rpm for change up for max acceleration?
If you're going to get a 1.5CRDi Rio, do so soon, the new models have smaller less powerful engines. What mpg do you get from the Micra? That's another thing to think about, plus what sort of warranty do you get with Nissan? I think it's only 60,000.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I would change up about 4000rpm that way it gets good boost in the next gear. As you know mine would easily hit the redline in 5th gear with the tuning box on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Davy, changing up at 4000 RPM; is that not too much?
I am a new driver so you will have to educate me here, I try never to let the engine rev beyond 3000 RMP as I was told that its not good for the engine and drinks fuel?

Cheers

Rob.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
No 4000rpm is fine for getting the most out of the car. If driving normally then yes 3000 is about what you should be aiming at. What you dont want to do is stiffle the engine with low engine speed that just builds up carbon on pistons, bores and valves and not to mention the dreaded DPF . Diesels need a good clear out every now again. If you want to tootle aboot get a petrol.
Of course if you rev the engine high it will use more fuel than keeping it a low revs but hey lets have some fun.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I gave up trying to drive this car for economy a long time ago. It doesn't matter if I drive it hard or like a saint, the mpg always comes out about the same. I usually keep it to a max of about 3000 rpm, but sometimes you get that idiot who wants to cut in front of you at the lightsjust because you're in a Kia, and you have to have to remind them not to take things for granted!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
M4trundler said:
I gave up trying to drive this car for economy a long time ago. It doesn't matter if I drive it hard or like a saint, the mpg always comes out about the same. I usually keep it to a max of about 3000 rpm, but sometimes you get that idiot who wants to cut in front of you at the lightsjust because you're in a Kia, and you have to have to remind them not to take things for granted!
Mine certainly shocked a few folk not just at lights but Mway speeds too.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
rmullen57694 said:
Cheers for that davy :)
Well I drive a petrol however will give it a shot tonight shifting at 4000 RMP and see what the fun factors like
Oh sorry mate thought you had a diesel. If its petrol then yes 4000 is not a problem or even higher.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have that as well.
Especially from BMW, VW and Volvo drivers.
Then I floor it up hill and leave most of them.
Especially the pre 08 models of VW diesels (with their outdated sd engines).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HIall i went and had a test drive of a rio2 1.5crdi today after work and for a little diesel that thing sure does go its got a lot more go then my micra, as soon as i put my foot down and the turbo cut in i could not stop smiling i dont get that with the micra, My micra is on a 3 year plan and soon i got to pay the gfv payment or give it back or partex, Kia lakeside offered me 1200 more then what i owe so i just orded a black rio domino 1.5d
10400 with the paint so im happy and my micra didnt have anything on it at all no air con or alloy wheels the domino has it all. and to the question about micra mpg i dont know it was the basic model so it was not on the display but i did get 420 miles from a full tank if that helps, now on a side note if anyone is thinking about getting the new shape rio 1.1d ect from now untill the end of september kia are giving 750 off the new shape if you order before the end of september no good for me as i want the 1.5d now anyway thanks for your help guys think im gona like my first kia

·
Registered
328 Posts
they do go well don't they ?

One of my friends took me out in his 1.4l Rio the other day.
Yawn, slow and felt very flat compared to the diesel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Aye, Kia Rio diesel, best kept secret on the road. Mate of mine drives his like he stole it, reckons it's as quick as his previous car, a saxo vtr.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts