Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help, poor mpg...
About 2 months/2952 miles ago i bought a 6000 mile 2017 Rio 1.4 crdi 3 & i am only averaging 45mpg, i only use the car to go to & from work (1.5 urban miles & 34 m/way miles at a steady 60mph on cruise control). Before i bought the Rio i had a Venga 1.4 crdi for over 4 years & averaged 64mpg, neither my driving style or journey has changed but my mpg has. Any ideas?
P.s
I work 9:30PM - 5:30AM so traffic congestion isn't the issue.
Kia's service desk response was "it must just be your driving style!"

·
Registered
528 Posts
The low mileage will have a factor as the engine will still be 'tight' it took approx 10-15k miles in our rio to start seeing anything near book mpg figures

Try doing the same journey at 70mph. We've had a 1.1crdi Rio and have found that at 60mph the engine was labouring to much and affecting economy.

Also if its such low mileage I'd be looking at live data to see how the dpf ash content is and if egr system is working exactly how it should be as these will have a big effect on economy.

Look at the history of the car. I'd be looking into having a full service done with all filters changed, oil, air, fuel & pollen as a last resort to try and improve things

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi ste372
It came from a KIA main agent & according to the service book had just had its 2nd annual service before i picked it up (i checked the oil & filter & it was new, air filter was spotless), i'll change the fuel filter though.
I have taken some advice off a mechanic friend & used Wynns "EGR Cleaner" with their "Total Action diesel cleaner" (apparently it cleans the DPF) & given it a bit of a thrashing to try & clear though any crud, i also use Shell V-power diesel every other fill-up.
My mechanic friend has suggested i take it to KIA & insist they run a full diagnostic on it.
In the meantime i'll try a week of going to work at 70mph down the m/way.
Thanks 👍

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi ste372
It came from a KIA main agent & according to the service book had just had its 2nd annual service before i picked it up (i checked the oil & filter & it was new, air filter was spotless), i'll change the fuel filter though.
I have taken some advice off a mechanic friend & used Wynns "EGR Cleaner" with their "Total Action diesel cleaner" (apparently it cleans the DPF) & given it a bit of a thrashing to try & clear though any crud, i also use Shell V-power diesel every other fill-up.
My mechanic friend has suggested i take it to KIA & insist they run a full diagnostic on it.
Thanks 👍
The low mileage will have a factor as the engine will still be 'tight' it took approx 10-15k miles in our rio to start seeing anything near book mpg figures

Try doing the same journey at 70mph. We've had a 1.1crdi Rio and have found that at 60mph the engine was labouring to much and affecting economy.

Also if its such low mileage I'd be looking at live data to see how the dpf ash content is and if egr system is working exactly how it should be as these will have a big effect on economy.

Look at the history of the car. I'd be looking into having a full service done with all filters changed, oil, air, fuel & pollen as a last resort to try and improve things
Hi

Hi Ste
Hi ste372
Thanks 👍
Hi Ste a follow up...
I followed the advice & did what i said i would & the the damn thing returned an average of 46mpg.
Anyway it went in to the main dealer on Wednesday lunchtime 3 hours later the technician said it passed all the diagnostics & showed no faults, so after a bit of a Mexican stand-off the service manager took it out for an "efficiency test" and said he was confident he would achieve "at least 65mpg" & the poor mpg i was getting was probably down to my driving style, he didn't quite achieve 40mpg!
My car was returned to me on Friday afternoon with a new ecu/egr/dpf as it appears the fault was in the "cold start", it wasn't turning off once the engine was warm so was constantly spraying extra fuel into the engine, it caused the egr & dpf to become clogged & in return run a little sluggish & very inefficiently.
Today i have driven from Filey to Inverin (459miles) & after filling up i have calculated my averaged at just over 68mpg, the car also feels a little perkier 👍

·
Registered
528 Posts
Nice result there then. Nice to see your local kia dealer acknowledge there is a fault and carry out a repair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm very happy now, but like I said it was a bit of a Mexican standoff in the showroom in front of people looking to buy cars that forced their hand & made them do the check I requested!
And the service manager who looked so cocky when he took my car on its test looked very sheepish when he had to accept he was very wrong, oh they even gave it a full valet (as a way of apology).
Looking forward to reaching at least 175k miles like I achieved in my previous Kia 👍

·
Registered
528 Posts
I had the same when ours had a faulty glow plug. Had to diagnose it myself.

The service advisor always gives it Billy big balls when speaking to my missus wants to demonstrate his vast knowledge and shoot down Any potential issues. Soon shuts up when I go in. His stance suddenly changes to I don't have any mechanical knowledge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts