Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gave up waiting for the non air model and have taken delivery at last of a Rio 1.1 CRDi, 1,Air, 5 door.
My dealer has been very fair throughout my near 7 month wait and has kept my trade in the same and picked up the tab for the aircon.
My first impressions after a 220 mile drive are mainly good. Exterior panel fit is better than my Venga but this is not so with the interior trim. Various squeaks and buzzzes from a variety of trim will require patience to track down and sort out. Road handling is excellent and the ride is much less harsh than the demo car I drove that had the larger wheels with the alloys. MPG has been an impressive 73.6 so far. All my motoring has been on country roads at roughly50mph keeping the rpm at 2250 and using mainly 4th gear. I look forward to the mpg improving as the mileage goes on.
The front seats are the main weakness in my opinion as the support in the back is not right for me. Having taken out the 3 year servicing package I would hope to run the car for this period without any major warranty work being required.

Kia has changed their marketing in the U.K. and now have a fresh line up of competitive cars, however they are no longer a cheaper alternative and the product quality must reflect this. I would like to see Kia doing more to improve product quality and to protect residual values by cutting out big bonus payments by pricing their cars correctly to begin with.

·
Registered
525 Posts
corsa57 said:
Kia has changed their marketing in the U.K. and now have a fresh line up of competitive cars, however they are no longer a cheaper alternative and the product quality must reflect this. I would like to see Kia doing more to improve product quality and to protect residual values by cutting out big bonus payments by pricing their cars correctly to begin with.

There are a lot of people on the forum making comments along these lines.....

Have you actually shopped around and compared prices of similarly spec'd cars from other manufacturers? I have on Picanto through to Optima when deciding what i was going to order as my new company car.

Kia are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper that pretty much all alternatives in every range on a % basis, ie Picantos are cheaper than say a VW UP! or Toyota Aygo but not by much, but then these are cheap in the first place.

The Rio is much cheaper than its equivelient Ford, VW or Vauxhall, and none of the competitors have a like for like spec. If you spec a Bluemotion Polo to the same level as a Rio 1.4CRDI "3" it is nearly £3k more expensive, the ford and vauxhall can not be be specified to the same level at all and still cost more.

The Cee'd on paper isnt much cheaper than the alternatives, but walk into a dealer and watch the price drop, fair enough it is a bit long in the tooth now, but the new one isnt going to cost as much as a golf or an Astra. If you Spec a an Astra Diesel SRI up to the same level as a high spec "new" Cee'd (Or the new model Hyundai I30 for that matter) it gets to £24k! When i questioned this ridiculous price and comparing it to say a BMW 320ED which is only £4k more expensive and which wont depreciate nearly as badly the dealer told me its as good as a 3.....Ridiculous.

Then the Optima, spec a mondeo up to the same level and remember that it is about to be replaced, and you see the same result. OK an Insignia is perhaps a better comparison, but these are more expensive than an Astra!

Now, I did settle on a Rio in the end as it checks all the boxes that i need, and it drives as well as a polo, is as well built (dash rattle not withsatanding but that is due to be fixed shortly) and has lots more kit and looks better and crucially its costs nearly 20% less a month........Which is a no-brainer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cannot agree with your rose tinted view of the situation.There are many components to compare when you are considering comparative values on a motor car not least depreciation.
Big discounts achieved today when purchasing your car is tomorrows depreciation.
I am also not blinded by the fitting ofunnecessary toys to new cars to supposedly increase their value.
When it comes time to trade in all these extras are woth so very little.
Overall running costs are what really matters to meand I am very firmly of the view that Kia is no longer the cheaper alternative it once was.
Perhaps if you had purchased a VWthe inside of your new car would not have to be removed to carry out a repair so early in its life. I ran a MK5 Golf for 5 yearsfrom new and had no warranty repairs to contend with whatsoever.
So to answer your questionhave Iactually shopped around and done the comparison,I have,butcame to a very different conclusion.
The fact that we came to different conclusions is what makes the Forum worthwhile.

·
Registered
525 Posts
corsa57 said:
The fact that we came to different conclusions is what makes the Forum worthwhile.

Agreed, But im still right!

I cant argue with you on the depreciation however for me, i actually want it to drop like a stone so that i can buy it for peanutsin 3 years when the lease is finished and still have 4 years warranty left on it, this was a primary factor in my choice, I could have had an Audi A1 3dr 1.6tdi Sport for only a little more money that the Rio, but the waranty will have run out by the end of the lease, the ride is AWFUL in the Audi and so does not suit my mainly motorway driving, and the Toy count was much lower.

Also given that a lot of us spend a fair amount of our time in out cars i disagree also on your comment about toys, there are certain things that legally i need, such as hands free phone connection, and also that i want such as ability to play music from an Ipod/USB source along with Cruise control.

If your PRIMARY concern is running costs I agree you should buy the cheapest model in the rangewith the most frugal engine that you can and the best residuals, so a bottom of the range VW UP! is probably the ideal car for you, no toys, good residuals, theoreticacal economy of 60+MPG, but it will be small, slow and not very practical in the grand scheme of things, but (playing devils advocate) if after the VW warranty has run out and something like for instanceYour ECU was to unexpectedly become corrupt, YOU will be paying the bill for it, where as Mr Picanto buyer who has saved maybe £500 - £1000in original purchase price but has a car that is worth probably the same amount less than the VW, will not have any of these worries for 7 years provided they do less than 100k miles....Which is guaranteedm where as the postyear 3 VW's reliabilty is not.This is the real money saver for the Kia driver, as depreciation becomes next to irrelevant IF the car is kept for an elongated period, which if you really want to reduce your end to end ownerships costs is what you should do.

Conversly, for those of us who actually want to be comfortable for the duration of a ownership, along with having all the toys provided that we want, and in theory are not fussed about depreciation (to a ceratin extrent)as weare leasing, Kia's still win.

Oh, and I dont own any rose tinted specs, i wear contacts!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well looking through your rose tinted contacts for a moment I am trying hard to see the benefits you consider when you make your lease agreement. If I have grasped your point you want to buy a car that costs less on the monthly payments but depreciates like a stone so that you can buy it at the end of the lease for very little money. You will then continue to run the car for a further 4 years and up to 100,000 miles.Good luck with this and I do hope that the Kia warranty lives up to your expectations.
You don't have to buy the most basic model without any creature comforts, you just have to choose with care taking all the factors that are important to you into consideration.
Go for an Optima next time the depreciation will be horrendous so you will get a superb buy off ofthe leasing company.
Anyway enough, we will never agree, so enjoy your motoring however you calculate your costs.

·
Registered
525 Posts
corsa57 said:
If I have grasped your point you want to buy a car that costs less on the monthly payments but depreciates like a stone so that you can buy it at the end of the lease for very little money. You will then continue to run the car for a further 4 years and up to 100,000 miles.

Correct, As the Rio is new, the lease companies are having toestimate depreciation so although the lease is quite reasonable (thus meaning the expectation must be lowish depreciation) I am hoping they have over estimated and it looses loads.

I am sure thatmy "3" model with all the bells and Whistles will not be worth much more than a 1.1 or 1.4 "2" model in 3 years, and will certainly not be worth anything close to the theoretical purchase price of £15.5k. If my sums are correct i should be able to "buy" it in total for something under £13k in total over the 3 year term, guessing that it will be worth about £6k trade in 36 months with 60k miles on it....Im an accountant so many hours and manyspreadsheets have been devoted to calculating total costs!

corsa57 said:
Good luck with this and I do hope that the Kia warranty lives up to your expectations.

Me too! Hopefully nothing majour will go pop, but the Dash is rattleing away merrilly, so not a great start!

corsa57 said:
Go for an Optima next time the depreciation will be horrendous so you will get a superb buy off ofthe leasing company.

Agreed, but unfortunatley i am limited to cars that cough out less that 120 CO2s and the Optima is 134.

corsa57 said:
enjoy your motoring however you calculate your costs.

Absoultley and i bid you the same. The kia is white goods to me to a certain extent, The hunt for a good Mk3 Golf GTI 16v 3dr is ongoing to fill the driving enjoyment and weekend fettling element ofmy motoringequation!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts