Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I ordered a new Rio 1.1 CRDi '1'back in the beginning of October.
I was initially given an estimated delivery date of early December. After a lack of news from the garage I phoned up in November to be told that there was still no visible build schedule for the cars, but given the delivery times for the cars coming through they thought it would be after January.
Next the estimated date moved out to the mid to end of February.

After visiting the garage yesterday for an update I was told that there is some sort of delay with this model , and that Kia are trying to move people from the basic 1.1 CRDi '1' model (the 88.3MPG one) to different models in the range.

Today I phoned up Kia myself to find out more information and the customer service lady was able to tell me that there is indeed an 'issue' with the cars and the earliest build date is showing as being June next year.

So after waiting nearly 3 months I am back at step one in the ordering process for a Rio 1.1 CRDi '1 Air' which they can build (so no 88.3mpg for me , but 78.5 isn't too bad).

I'm just wondering what has happened. I know the basic '1' has a different gearbox (final drive ratio), front grill and a rear spoiler, but i wouldn't have thought that any of those would have delayed things by over 6 months.

Thanks.

Bruce

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, that point is being discussed.
The fuel difference over 100K miles between 88 and 78 mpg works out as about £1K.

I currently have a nearly 10 Year old peugeot 206 'ECO' 2.0 HDI which I have put 161,000 miles on from new, and it still does low 70's mpg (that is an old 8 valve 2.0 engine with 90BHP and no start stop).

Apparently Kia UK told the dealers about the further delayon Monday.

So what I don't know is if they have ever actually made any production volumes of the 1.1 CRDi '1'. They must have made at least 1 for the mpg testing.

I have just looked at the 5th gear test where Tiff managed to get it down to 18mpg , but that car had the front fog lights and alloy wheels so even that one was a '2'.

I am now waiting to hear from the garage early in the new year. The replacement 1.1 '1 Air' model is due early Feb. I will keep you posted.

Bruce

·
Registered
187 Posts
The mpg tho would be worked out using aircon? They wont look at the mpg, they will look at the spec of the car and on that count you deffo deserve the upgrade free of charge. If not that's poor customer service to say the least

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I would tell them to stuff it and go and buy either another model of Kia or go to another manufacturer. I certainly would not put up with this nonsense any longer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would be good , but the garage haven't been helpful at all.
I would be happy to have a 'loan' car till June then swap it for the 88mpg version when they come out as I am doing 16 to 20K per year.

I guess I need to write a formal letter to Kia customer support to kick things off.

Thanks

Bruce

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,
The basic rio '1' 1.1 CRDi has a longer final drive ratio , so once it is up to speed it revs at a lower speed than the standard cars. That together with the reduced weight and filled in grill (no air con radiator that needs cooling) is meant to make the difference.

My current old 206 was meant to have a combined 62.8mpg (120g co2/km), and the best I have had out of it after careful driving has been an average of 82.2mpg over a tank full. That is 812 miles before the light came on from a 50L tank, and it only took 45L to fill it up. I have also had low 50's out of it when the traffic is bad.(my previous car was a Fiat Coupe 20V turbo Plus and that used to get 22 on a good run
).

I drive about 75 miles per day up and down the A1 & A14 including driving right into the center of Cambridge, so traffic conditions can vary greatly.

I am wondering what the start stop technology will be like, and I am hoping that it will make a difference.

The test drive that I had in a '2' was good , though the car only had 12 miles on the clock (and still had the foam protection block on the ends of the doors), so the start-stop was disabled. Apparently it needs a warm engine and better than 75% battery charge before it will work.

I am starting to compose my email to Kia customer support. I won't hold my breath for a response as I guess they must be dealing with many customers who are in the same position as me.

Thanks for all the comments.

Bruce

·
Registered
170 Posts
-- hi - a visit to a local lookers KIA - what a waste of time - I'm now looking too order the Rio 1 that dose the 88.3 mpg average. from a real garage.

was wondering if some one can tell me what Tyre's they come with - Ive been told there kumho - a little scared that - these Tyre's are going to cost the earth .

any one know someplace to bye them form at the right money?

is the 50000 mileage service package worth it?

what covered on the 7 year guarantee - I'm just looking for a small extra cheap to run car - now im no longer able to work - ( illness.)

some one also told me to exchange all the bulbs for led's - to cut running cost - some one also said don't uese the heater or radio for same reason.

are any of these coments true please?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Could the problem be complaints due to the car not being able to get near the claimed economy? We had a 1.4tdi Fabia, and nice as it was, you had to drive excruciatingly carefully to to get 55mpg let alone the 60 odd claimed. The problem was it had little torque (in comparison with larger diesels) and when you had to pull away it took more revs. A friend who owns the 1.9tdi version gets 60mpg plus easily. The moral in this case was more is less! For me, I would be very surprised if you can get anywherenear the 88mpg headline figure, if you have to stop and pull away, or climb a hill, it will wreck the average.

·
Registered
86 Posts
thunderbird said:
Bruce
In the "real" world I would not expect an88mpg Rio to any more mpg than any of the other Rio 1.1 CRDI models. Kia (as many other manufacturers) will have made certain tweeks to the "economy" model that means it performs especially well on the EU test but in the real world where road have hills, corners, other traffic, etc. etc. the increase rarely amounts to much. Auto Express achieved 45.6 mpg out of a 1.1 CRDi 2 which they were happy with considering it included performance testing.

Anyone who believes the EU test mpg figures is severely deluded.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It all depends on the driving conditions. As I mentioned before my old 206 has an official combined of 62.8, yet driving from Peterborough to Cambridge each day I can get as low as 50 odd (with tail backs on the A14), or during the summer holidays going at a steady 60 I have averaged 82.2 over a tank full. (all without start stop technology).

Given that the earliest build date for a 88.3mpg Rio '1' is June I just can't wait that long (now 3 months and counting).

I should be hearing from the garage in the next few days to confirm the spec change from a white Rio 1 (1.1crdi) to a red Rio 1 'air' (which they do have in the build plan with delivery in the beginning of Feb).

Thanks

Bruce

·
Registered
170 Posts
thanks guys - just had an opp - not able to drive till 23rd may. so sounds about right for me. got a sl63 sat on drive and lost 43% in nine months - so decided to go for this car - just not heard anything about kia. look good - not able to test drive one - as not able to drive till may. so im looking for ward to getting in too this. i hope - if nothing else it gets me to train station back back

·
Registered
8 Posts
picked our rio 1 non air 1.25 up just over 4 weeks ago, and very impressed with it so far. i have now covered just under 800 miles in it and its averaging just over 45 mpg, a mixture of motorway and town driving.i have had the mpg at just over 50 mpg on a good run. we did have to wait an extra 6 weeks for our car for some reason, and even after 4 weeks i haven't seen anymore on the roads near us.

·
Registered
170 Posts
thanks - im really looking for a the 1.1 1 none air - so your not gettign anything like the mpg in the book then - thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
told my brother I bought a new Kia, he took the piss for 20 secs, then hung up on me, t**ser LOL. Bet it will be more reliable than his over priced over rated piece of german bmw sh*t LOL.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts