Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy a couple of tyres. I've been looking at various options and Riken tyres have a budget price but good reviews. They've been owned by Michelin since 1992, which sounds positive?

Anyone had them and can share their experience (ideally on a 2016+ Sportage)?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Not only owned by Michelin, but made in Europe too.
I'd happily try them over Chinese-made ditchfinders.
Black circles don't do them in our size (245/45R19 - 2017 Sportage '3')

EDIT - Riken don't do tyres in 245/45R19....:(

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not only owned by Michelin, but made in Europe too.
I'd happily try them over Chinese-made ditchfinders.
Black circles don't do them in our size (245/45R19 - 2017 Sportage '3')

EDIT - Riken don't do tyres in 245/45R19....:(
Ah, thanks anyway!

Perhaps this thread should be deleted?

·
Super Moderator
2,599 Posts
Closest you are going to get is 255/40/19
Which gives this difference in MPH
50 = 48.8100 = 97.6150 = 146.4
Which is -16.5 mm

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you alter the tyre size, you’re deviating from standard and must tell your insurance.
Chances are they won’t surcharge, but you never know.
FWIW, black circles are doing Nankang for £111 each, they’re decent and OEM on some cars.
Alternatively they are doing British made Avon ZX7 for £133 each, with £10 off for two fitted.
For an additional £13 per tyre over the Nankangs, I’d go for them.
Excellent tyres, had them on various cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi i fitted Falken AZENIS FK510 245/45 ZR19 (102Y) XL on my fronts to replace hankook tyres 6 months ago they seem quieter than hankooks and decent grip so far hope this helps

·
Registered
272 Posts
Have you considered Nexen Nfera SU1 . Rim Protector and extra load? The usual suspects are putting them out at around £90 -£100 mark then of course there is fitting. Nexen are OE equipment on some Kias. Ive had them on a Soul. No issues.
Someone recommended Farroad a while back. All in at around £331. Havent seen a long term update. They do tend to go in and out of stock at the on line tyre suppliers.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Have you considered Nexen Nfera SU1 . Rim Protector and extra load? The usual suspects are putting them out at around £90 -£100 mark then of course there is fitting. Nexen are OE equipment on some Kias. Ive had them on a Soul. No issues.
Someone recommended Farroad a while back. All in at around £331. Havent seen a long term update. They do tend to go in and out of stock at the tyre dealers.
Just had 2 Nexens fitted on the front a month ago @ £101 each, very impressed so far, did a couple of motorway journeys and some local stuff before the restrictions were put in place and found the grip good and the noise low. A bargain compared to the Hancook price.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the suggestions. Fortunately there's currently plenty of thinking time while on 'lock down'!

For interest, I'm on the original tyres at ~18k miles and the relative wear between front and back was significant... fronts were down to less than 2mm while the rears were on getting on for 5mm. I did a front-to-back swap yesterday to enable the new tyres to go onto the rear and checked the brake wear while I was at it. Pleased to say that the pads all have plenty of meat.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Pads seem to last forever.
We're at 30000 miles and I'm only changing them because the pedal travel is getting annoying.
No sign of warning lights or scraping noises etc.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. Fortunately there's currently plenty of thinking time while on 'lock down'!

For interest, I'm on the original tyres at ~18k miles and the relative wear between front and back was significant... fronts were down to less than 2mm while the rears were on getting on for 5mm. I did a front-to-back swap yesterday to enable the new tyres to go onto the rear and checked the brake wear while I was at it. Pleased to say that the pads all have plenty of meat.

You should fit the best tyres on the front. If you put brand new tyres on the back and worn tyres on the front this means that the fronts will be rotating faster than the rears. The car will interpret this as front wheel slip and engage rear wheel drive. On a good road surface this will massively wear the tyres and eventually seriously damage the transmission.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Surely pad wear is compensated by caliper fluid displacement and shouldn't affect pedal travel?
In my experience, bikes and cars, pedal (and lever) feel does go South once pads get very worn.
Maybe 'travel' is the wrong word, I've no way of measuring it, let's go with 'spongy'
Once new pads are fitted, the pedal will get a firmer feel again.
Obviously if the pedal still feels spongy after new pads, I'd look into it, but I'm confident it won't.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You should fit the best tyres on the front. If you put brand new tyres on the back and worn tyres on the front this means that the fronts will be rotating faster than the rears. The car will interpret this as front wheel slip and engage rear wheel drive. On a good road surface this will massively wear the tyres and eventually seriously damage the transmission.
My car is FWD only, so the 'grippiest' tyres must always be on the rear to avoid oversteer (which isn't much fun when you're not expecting it).

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
OK, I thought all the modern Sporties were AWD - my bad.

As to the oft quoted dangers of oversteer - I actually much prefer that to understeer since the proper correction is instinctive. If a FWD car is understeering it is really hard (without a lot of practice) to back off on the steering and apply more power. I find that difficult.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
394 Posts
Each to their own, but I'm not fitting nice new tyres to the back when it's the front that does all the work (steering, majority of braking, clearing water etc.).
The rears basically just keep the exhaust off the ground.
I've seen all the advice, but I also have 37 years driving experience and all these 'horror stories' of the back letting go are massively overplayed.
It's actually really hard to get the rear to let go, even if you try really hard.
I like oversteer, I'd welcome it for a bit of fun, but it just doesn't happen.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.