Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I recently changed the oil to 5W-40 (down from 10W-30). Fully synthetic of course. A friend of mine told me that with 5W-30 the tapping noise is less noticeable. Regarding the temperature ranges in Greece, I preferred 5W-40 to cover both the cold winter days and the warm spring-summer ones. What do you think? How such a small grade difference could affect mpg and/or noise?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I played around with the oil grades and not found any great changes, and have to say that cheap oils made the engine sound noisy only on start up. I found that an expensive oil made the oil pressure light go out fractionally quicker, and made the engine a lot quieter on initial start up, I used Mobil 3000 5-30.
My reason for using more expensive oil was simple the timing chain tensioners are hydraulic and I didn't want any trouble with that.
I would have thought the minor grade change you are talking about would only be noticeable to the battery which has to crank the engine in the cold.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.