Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sportage GT Line (poverty spec) HEV Infra Red.
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seen this review, I think he gets his model wrong but pretty accurate in most other areas. Most interesting was his comment about the Kia,s stack up against other brands. This is a view that I entirely agree with.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Watched it yesterday. Day before watched his review of the Sorento PHEV drive to Megavissy, which seems to have converted him to PHEV.
Have to confess that, before Mrs Axe decided SHE wanted a new car rather than pay for MOT, I thought hybrids were neither fish nor fowl, lugging around 2 power units. I wanted to wait another year until the pure EV market had a) better and more sensible charging network, and b) reliable range.
But my view was based on at least 2 annual drives down to Mojacar with the dogs, and hybrids seemed to be of little use on ultra long journeys.
But we've now sold up in Spain, so our needs have changed to one of comfort, which the new Sporty gives.
We also invested in solar panels and a charge point, so the PHEV now fits easily into our "future proofing" :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok brief review of the Sportage HEV PS (Poverty Spec) after the first 700 miles.
Bit of history for context first. For 50 years an avid motorcyclist both professionally and for leisure averaging 10,000 per year. Car driver for over 50 years owning every type of car from saloons both large and small, hatches, sports (Lotus, BMW M3) enough to say have been a serial car and motorcycle changer so have decent amount of experience.

So where does the HEV sit amongst this lot, well it doesn’t. Trying to compare it to what has gone before would be like trying to compare apples with oranges. The best way I can explain this is that after all my years of driving this car has totally changed how I drive, it is a completely different experience just so relaxing and cosseting. All tension and agitation normally associated with modern day driving is a thing of the pas but the real clever bit is that it manages to achieve this without detachment from the driving experience, brilliant. The ride is plush, but in no way sloppy as could so easily be the case with a vehicle of this size. I am sure the 18” wheels and substantial side wall tyre contribute in no small way to this. Of other cars that I have owned several have VAG products and in my opinion the build quality of the Sportage exceeds that of those offerings. Whilst quite happy cruising along when an overtake is required a more easy and undramatic event would be hard to imagine, I do however need to qualify this, snap overtakes are not the cars forte as the box could be deemed to be a tad lethargic for this but properly executed passes where you get out early for a good look ahead and accelerating to the maximum speed that you are going to reach as you pass the overtaken vehicle are accomplished with superb aplomb. Can’t comment what a great family car etc as it’s only me and my wife now but I bet it is. To sum up I would be quite happy to say that at this price the Sportage is a complete and utter bargain and if you sat a knowledgeable driver in the passenger seat blindfolded and asked them how much the car that you had just taken them for a drive in cost I would wager it would be estimated at many thousands of pounds more than it actually does.

·
Registered
on order GTs hybrid 4wd
300 Posts
Thanks for the summary.
My 190ps Tiguan diesel in eco is lethargic also and has an extra gear.
As a result I always use sport to set off and slow down ( for the engine braking).
I don't know yet how easy that would be with a knob to turn but it's easy with a Tiguan.
Pc mag have reviewed the larger car hybrid and mentioned the same thing towing.
I've only gone for the highest standard to get the 4wd which I don't want to be without it, and I like the extra weight for towing my 1636kg caravan.
But for economy and performance with the same power the fwd lighter car makes more sense.

IMO it will be the fastest version with the best MPG.

Not to mention higher residuals and reduced purchase cost.

·
Registered
2022 Sportage GT-Line 1.6T GDi ISG (Infra Red)
36 Posts
it is a completely different experience just so relaxing and cosseting. All tension and agitation normally associated with modern day driving is a thing of the pas but the real clever bit is that it manages to achieve this without detachment from the driving experience, brilliant.
I have the manual 6-speed petrol with no electrification, yet I completely and utterly echo this. It makes you want to drive slow and relaxed and completely different to anything else I've driven. Granted my last car was a Fiesta that made you want to drive quick and aggressively so the contrast is huge. Yet you still feel all the joy on country lanes.

There's something serene and calming about it, and even when I select the wrong gear or something it still seems to smooth it out well and I feel like I have all the time in the world to reselect the correct gear, etc.

snap overtakes are not the cars forte as the box could be deemed to be a tad lethargic for this
This is one part where the manual 6-speed is great. On the odd occasion you need it, drop a gear and the car really does fly. Can really feel the turbocharged power once the pedal is about 50% of the way down.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One video I watched the reviewer compared the hybrid against the manual.
He found the manual much more fun to drive.

It wouldn't suite me as I do more driving steady than I do racing.

And I am auto 4wd fan.
There is an argument that “stiring the box with a stick” is more involving and therefore fun. And to a certain extent I would go along with that. However those days are gone and the sophistication and ease of use are now the thing for me. There is however a safety argument for the auto. Where I live we often have to cut across a notoriously dangerous dual carriageway the A66. I have never done it but have nightmares about inadvertently selecting third instead of first and getting trapped in “no man’s land” so to speak. With the Auto the gap comes up, you squeeze the throttle and of yo go, no if’s, no buts.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There is an argument that “stiring the box with a stick” is more involving and therefore fun. And to a certain extent I would go along with that. However those days are gone and the sophistication and ease of use are now the thing for me. There is however a safety argument for the auto. Where I live we often have to cut across a notoriously dangerous dual carriageway the A66. I have never done it but have nightmares about inadvertently selecting third instead of first and getting trapped in “no man’s land” so to speak. With the Auto the gap comes up, you squeeze the throttle and of yo go, no if’s, no buts.
Agree 100%. Ideally the paddle shifters would provide instant response times moving up / down gears for manual control. They work but there's a noticeable lag which is frustrating. However I'd take an automatic over a manual any day as my daily driver. As you say, it's faster off the line and frees up your left foot so it can relax plus your left hand can control the radio / media / water bottle in all situations without having to surrender to the gear stick. It's particularly appealing in slow moving or bumper to bumper traffic. And in stressful situations i.e. multiple lane roundabouts with traffic lights or awkward junctions you've never been to before, you definitely don't want to have the additional mental load a manual brings with it.

·
Registered
2022 KIA SPORTAGE GTLine S 1.6T HEV AWD Experience Green/Black
458 Posts
Agree 100%. Ideally the paddle shifters would provide instant response times moving up / down gears for manual control. They work but there's a noticeable lag which is frustrating. However I'd take an automatic over a manual any day as my daily driver. As you say, it's faster off the line and frees up your left foot so it can relax plus your left hand can control the radio / media / water bottle in all situations without having to surrender to the gear stick. It's particularly appealing in slow moving or bumper to bumper traffic. And in stressful situations i.e. multiple lane roundabouts with traffic lights or awkward junctions you've never been to before, you definitely don't want to have the additional mental load a manual brings with it.
😕
NOT FORGETTING THE DREADED ARTHRITUS lol

·
Registered
on order GTs hybrid 4wd
300 Posts
I have a lag with my Tiguan and I did with my cx-5.
You learn to drive round it.

I've test drove a Tucson, and 4 Sportage hybrid autos and to be honest never noticed a lag, so perhaps I'm just use to it.

·
Registered
on order GTs hybrid 4wd
300 Posts
I started finding manual cars hard work in 2013 with a manual cx-5 often forgetting which gear I was in.

One I moved on to a 2015 automatic cx-5, the cruise control worked much better along with the electric handbrake.
And as said it makes the driving much less stressful at my age.

·
Registered
On Order: Sportage GT Line S PHEV in Infra Red
197 Posts
it makes the driving much less stressful at my age.
It makes driving much less stressful regardless of age i would say!

I switched to an auto with my current car, so 4 years ago. I spent far too much time driving into and out of London 3/4 days per week, having a manual meant that my leg especially was really uncomfortable after the many hours of clutch operation each day. Of course, thanks to the last couple of years my business has changed so i dont have to do that anymore BUT i wouldnt go back to a manual now.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
We used to live in London, and soon realised that manual gearsticks were a pain.
Switch to autos was a blessed relief from cramps and continual stop/start, gear changing every few 100 yards.

Back on topic, there are more Sporty reviews coming onto Youtube every day, most not UK spec but often useful content.

Reactions: dhb

·
Registered
on order GTs hybrid 4wd
300 Posts
I don't think there is one I haven't seen sad but true.

I don't always see them through ESP the ones with no talking, just what is the point of them?

And I avoid the odd one with the voice that grates on the ears, usually from the USA.

·
Registered
On order (17th Feb): 2022 Sportage GT-Line S HEV in Penta Grey with black roof.
130 Posts
The problem with most of the YouTube videos of the new Sportage is that with so few being delivered to private individuals at the moment, the majority are being produced by dealers, both UK and Europe with a few from professional reviewers. I don’t watch any US reviews as it’s a different model with different engines and gearbox. I would like to see a few more (UK and honest) reviews from actual owners, such as the one here from TingTong. These will surface in time as more are being delivered.

Reactions: jcapari
1 - 19 of 19 Posts