Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently brought a 20 plate Kia xceed
One issue I’m having is reversing off my drive. There is a big slope/decline on my drive and I park just in front of my garage doors. When I put it into reverse as soon as I slightly touch the accelerator the park break comes off straight away and the car rolls forward until I get the bite on the clutch. Never had this problem with my golf SV as it wouldn’t disconnect the park break until the clutch was engaged, tried auto hold as well and as soon as you put it in reverse that goes off as well. Is there anything you can do to hold the park break for a second or 2?

·
Super Moderator
9,389 Posts
Hi & Welcome.
I've moved to x-ceed section as it is not a how to do something. (y)

Auto hold will only go off when you press accelerator, or at least it does on a Auto.

Would it be better reversing onto drive & driving off?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi & Welcome.
I've moved to x-ceed section as it is not a how to do something. (y)

Auto hold will only go off when you press accelerator, or at least it does on a Auto.

Would it be better reversing onto drive & driving off?
Hi, as soon as you put it into reverse auto hold disengages (mines a manual not sure if much difference)
I could try reversing onto the drive just awkward as there is another car on the drive and the downward slope
Just wanted to know if there is a way to keep the EPS on for that extra second like my old golf sv did and a Nissan qashqai I’ve had in the past, all held the car until clutch was engaged and enough acceleration to move on the downward slope without the car moving forwards

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
761 Posts
I think what you are saying is is that your driveway slopes down to your garage door so you have to reverse uphill.

You are right Auto Hold will not help you as it is disengaged when Reverse is selected as does the EPB for some reason, however, if you hold the car on the foot brake when you select reverse and then apply the EPB this will hold until you drive away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think what you are saying is is that your driveway slopes down to your garage door so you have to reverse uphill.

You are right Auto Hold will not help you as it is disengaged when Reverse is selected as does the EPB for some reason, however, if you hold the car on the foot brake when you select reverse and then apply the EPB this will hold until you drive away.
Yes that’s correct my drive does slope to my garage door

i will try this, thank you

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi, as soon as you put it into reverse auto hold disengages (mines a manual not sure if much difference)
I could try reversing onto the drive just awkward as there is another car on the drive and the downward slope
Just wanted to know if there is a way to keep the EPS on for that extra second like my old golf sv did and a Nissan qashqai I’ve had in the past, all held the car until clutch was engaged and enough acceleration to move on the downward slope without the car moving forwards
Sorry unless I'm missing the point, your worried about the car rolling once you select reverse because of the electric handbrake,

but you have a manual, and for me I would have my foot on the brake until I get the clutch bite and then the hill start will be on and you can pull away OK

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As said above surely you should have your foot on the brake until you get to the clutch bite point?
That’s not how you are taught to drive in a manual though, you are taught to slowly accelerate whilst slowly lifting the clutch up (next door neighbour is a driving instructor and she says that is correct) I have been to a Kia dealership and there mechanic has told me that is due to an inferior electronic breaking system compared to my old golf sav and qashqai so not much I can do about it

but thank you all for your reply’s

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
214 Posts
If you are unable to use the handbrake like on an old school car surely you should be able to find the biting point whilst covering the brake?

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
761 Posts
but you have a manual, and for me I would have my foot on the brake until I get the clutch bite and then the hill start will be on and you can pull away OK
If hill start works in reverse, does it? Personally I find it to be a totally superfluous bit of technology that just encourages poor driving practice, we are given a hand brake for good reason, we should use it 🤣

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
761 Posts
If you are unable to use the handbrake like on an old school car surely you should be able to find the biting point whilst covering the brake?
The only time I've done this is when the hand brake on my kit car was broken and its not that easy or very safe

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
761 Posts
I have been to a Kia dealership and there mechanic has told me that is due to an inferior electronic breaking system compared to my old golf sav and qashqai so not much I can do about it
I'm sorry I do not believe him and I don't think that any car that does not have a hand brake that can hold the car when in reverse is fit for use on the road. I find it quite shocking sometimes what workshops will tell you when they don't have a answer, they seem to think it is better to just to give any answer rather than admitting they don't know.

As I suggested earlier on my auto Xceed if I have my foot on the brake and select reverse I can then momentarily lift the EPB and it will hold until I start to move, I would expect the same on a manual car. However, I have also just read in the EPB section of the manual that talks about driving with a trailer that you can hold the EPB up as you would on a car with a conventional hand brake when pulling away, so that is something else you could try, although this is not recommended if you are not towing for because it puts the brake on harder than normal so there might be a jolt as you pull away.

A vehicle towing a trailer on a hill or on an incline may slightly roll backwards when starting the vehicle. To prevent the situation follow the below instructions.

1. Depress the clutch pedal and select a gear.

2. Keep pulling up the EPB switch.

3. Depress the accelerator pedal and slowly release the clutch pedal.

4. If the vehicle starts off with enough driving power release the EPB switch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you have any update on this, have you managed to find a way that works for you?
I have taken the car to Kia to make sure the EPS is working correctly and it is, unfortunately as soon as the accelerator is engaged when reversing the EPS disengages, doesn’t matter if you hold the EPS button it will still disengage. The mechanic did say there has been a few complaints around this but nothing they can do, so basically better to have a normal hand break which isn’t Availableon the xceed 3 I purchased (only on the first edition and 2)

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
761 Posts
How very odd. I've tried it out on my DCT which behaves differently but not in a helpful way 😭

If I hold the EPB up when reversing the EPB stays on but then you can't release it, the only way being to drive forward again 😂.

It seems to me that this must contravene some road traffic regulation or other but I can't find any reference to this anywhere so I've asked the question of Honest John, I'll let you know when I hear back.

Anyhow your dealer has told you how the EPB works but this is not quite the same as how it should work, you could consider writing to KCS suggesting that this needs fixing because they are selling an undriveable and unsafe car as it is impossible to hold the car on the handbrake when pulling away in reverse but your case will be much stronger if you can find that this breaks some regulation or other 🤗

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
761 Posts
I did come across a trick that might help you, I found that if my seat belt is not done up (or the door is open) the EPB does not release, in reverse at least. This means that if you leave the door open, start the engine, apply the EPB and use then use the door to release your handbrake 🤣

This isn't exactly fool proof as I found that if I'm actually driving against the EPB it will not release but if I just release the throttle slightly it disengages. I don't know how this would work in a manual but it just might give you an (imperfect) solution 🙄

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
761 Posts
I read somewhere that you lift the break EPS switch for 3 seconds for hill start assist but that doesn’t seem to work for when you are reversing up hill
I've read elsewhere that Hill Start Assist is activated by pressing the foot brake firmly, if so this is really confusing as this is how you activate Auto Hold as well 🤔

I have a DCT so unless on a very steep slop it doesn't roll back anyway so I've never checked to see if I have hill start

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.