Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those who have it, how do you get on with the reversing assist camera. KIA brochures say " makes parking a breeze ". I don't find the picture in the mirror to be very helpful, and does not really give any idea how far you are away from the object. I certainly would not trust it!
How does anyone else find using it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i think its pretty crap too...... though it is a bit better since it was replaced...the old one was always foggy....give me reversing sensors anytime.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interesting comments on the reversing camera.

I am about to buy a Hunter and during thetest drive I thought the camera image surprisingly good, with the grid lines on the display and the camera angle giving inch perfect indication of how far you are from any object.

My only query with the system would be how well does it work at night? I hope the reversing lights are good enough.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If its anything like the pro_ceeds it's better at night. The sun glare makes the picture worse but in the black of night I find it really helpfully. Although th screen is in the satnav not the mirror

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've just had a replacement camera fitted at my Soul's second service. I find the camera works well in daylight but in poorly lit areas at night is a bit vague. Dabbing the brake pedal to put the brake lights on, or turning on the rear fog lights helps a bit. I think it's a "nice to have" item rather than a "must have" one. I agree with Tempest that reversing sensors are more reliable. Perhaps fitting a camera and sensors is the real deal!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
the camera is ok in the day but quite poor at night (mind you it did stop me hitting a big white rock in a carpark the other night). Putting extra lights on at the back does help a bit, but the older cameras dont have the reversing lines on the image.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I think that it is very good but I have noticed on mine it is getting a little foggy on the right side so I will get in checked and replaced .I don't have any problems even though it does not have the guide lines like the latest types, my wife however does not like the sudden movement that happens when you get close to what you are reversing up to.I have worked out that when the edge of the camera is on the line you are reversing to you are about 12" away. At night its not to bad either , mind you where Tempest lives I don't think that there can be much light at night so I can understand his problem.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I always give the camera lense a quick wipe before & after a journey if its wet & found the rear fogs can help with reversing in the dark , but its not full proof .

·
Registered
437 Posts
How can having sensors (that only beep at a rough distance) that youhave to trust, be better than an actual live picture??
I thought a picture told a thousand words, what do beeps tell you?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Both systems have plus and minus points , my son has sensors on his car and you can get up to 3" away everytime so it is very accurate ,however I do think that my Tempest's camera is better in many respects.I have the wiping habit now everytime I pass the rear of the car as an automatic responce.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I met up with a soul2 last year, and she constantly reversed up to things and stopped 2 inch off with out a second thought, and that was in the blindspot areas that the distorted camera struggles with.... maybe i just expect too much from things sometimes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the comments on the reversing camera. I still find that the picture shows I am quite far from the object when, on looking behind, I find I have almost backed into it???? Is this normal with this camera?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Tempest. Have you heard of any method of marking the area on the mirror to give
a more accurate indcation as to when to stop?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The newer Souls have lines on the cams so if you upgrade to the newer mirror that might give you them. Personally if i was going to the trouble i would just buy a bigger dash mounted screen to make the whole image easier to focus on. I have discussed on here before about moving the camera up higher and inside the back window - so it stays clean and you have a better vantage point, but you would lose that low down view close up behind the car.

On my standard setup i can see the outer rear edge of the black bit of the bumper and judge that to the inch in daylight. Really i should spend some time with some plastic cones in an empty carpark actually finding out and equating what i can see on the mirror to what is actually happening round the back of the car.

I live out in the country and we dont have street lights, the camera is next to useless in those conditions in the dark.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
soulman said:
Thanks Tempest. Have you heard of any method of marking the area on the mirror to give
a more accurate indcation as to when to stop?

How about, you know the peices of plastic they stick over ipod screens to protect them...... you get one of those and mark lines on it and place it over your mirror?.....accurately park in a lined double length space and you will see the lines for the space behind you and transfer the positions onto the plastic overlay..... might work!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't think marking the camera lense would work. The markings would be out of focus! I think the grid lines are electronically generated, Also I believe the image is electronically straightened to get rid of the fish eye distortion.

Incidentally

I have used the freznel lense type reflector in the back window of vehicles with great success in the past. A good cheap alternative for increasing rear visibility

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Tempest and Big Steve. Good idea to practice with something in a car park. I tried plastic garden chairs yesterday in a parking area round the back. When placed 2/3 inches from the rear bumper, the picture resembled an iron railing fence. Couldn't tell what it was.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi all, last post before Christmas. Well, I am utterly amazed at the flashes etc I am now receiving from other Soul owners round here. No sooner does one complain at the complacency they have gone mad. Perhaps there is hope for us all. Been into my Kia dealer today and they were great.

1. Reversing camera, to be used only as a safety guide. Mine, 2010, has the early system whereby the later models have a different camera and mirror. Mine can't be adapted without major cost. Guess I'll grin and bear it.

2. Rear parcel shelf rattle. Took it into the workshop to be told it needs a new shelf. This item is NOT covered under warranty and depite my protestations re a faulty manufactured item, they were adamant nothing could be done.
Being rather unhappy, I left for the car park followed by a Customer Services chappie. He said I'll go into the workshop to get something to wedge it in with. A couple of minutes later he emerged with a mechanic who looked at it and noted the missing clips. Without further ado he produced another shelf from his other hand and just put it in with a cheery Merry Christmas.
How about that?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
To all Souls, have a good one, a safe one, a happy one and thanks for all your advice and kind assistance to a Newbie.
Soulman

1 - 20 of 21 Posts