Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Less than 3k on my car and now i struggle to get reverse with out it crunching :eek:(

So i will phone Viking Kia tomorrow and get it looked at. I do not have any luck with the two Kia's i have owned. Also i have never liked the way the gear change felt, thought it was just the way the gears are, but wonder if its related to my problem. Anyone else have an issue with gears and do your gear changes feel a little cluncky or are they nice and smooth.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The gears feel smooth on mine, though sometimes I have to release the clutch once, then try again for reverse (and let the car roll forwards a few inches). This is quite common on many cars.
I do think the Picanto clutch is set up with a lot of free play, which may be part of the problem you're experiencing. In other words, the clutch isn't fully disengaging, and reverse is hard to get into because of that.

Edited by: ujoni08

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clutch is right to the floor. I know its not me, because i have many years driving Artics with range changes, split shifts, double H boxes and twin spliters with 18 gears etc. The car has a problem and now i have to get it sorted. Trouble is i live 20 miles from the dealer and its all hassle that i thought i was not going to get for a few years, after my nightmare with my Sedona.

Oh well stuff happens, no ones fault, just one of those things. Just it seems to happen to me with Kia's

·
Registered
324 Posts
I hear you, Dustyjoe. It's annoying.
(Btw, I didn't think it was you. I notice a good deal of travel before any 'resistance' is felt, so the clutch cable has a lot of free play. I wonder if it's adjustable?)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its got worse today, its not just a crunch, it just wont go in to reverse with out real problems. If i cold start and reverse off the drive, no problem, but as soon as i drive and a few miles i try to reverse, it happens.

·
Registered
324 Posts
That does sound weird. It's a PITA to get the car into a distant dealer. Mine is closer than yours, but it still means a trip to a different town, through traffic, etc. and then it comes back the same....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last car cost me £1650 in repair bills, with in two years of having it. Look on the bright side i will not be paying a penny, so there is that.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
waiting for a return call, to book the car in, i get a vibe that my car is not the only car with this issue, as he said that they do need clutchadjusting and thinks thats the issue

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi everyone

i am new on this forum i work at a kia dealership in york, i have the kia picanto 1 air and i have the reverse problem. what do you surgest , how do u fix it ???

thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would say have the clutch cable adjusted. You want less free play, so the clutch engages when the pedal is higher. The standard setup has a lot of free play (wasted clutch pedal movement before any effect on the cable), and the clutch engages/bites after only releasing the pedal 1/3 of the way out. That means that when the clutch pedal is fully depressed, the clutch and pressure plates are not properly disengaged, and so the gear is hard to engage. You can test this by opening the bonnet and looking at the clutch cable and actuating arm (below the battery area, right down low). Get someone to sit in the car and begin to slowly depress the clutch pedal, calling out to you all the while how many inches he's pressed down (the first third will have hardly any resistance, showing the problem). The pedal will move quite a way before the actuating arm actually moves. The cable outer (I think) has an adjuster on it to pre-tension it more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.