Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, When reversing in my niro 4 self charging hybrid the warning beeps are so loud that neighbours two doors away know when I am reversing down my drive.
Wondered if any other owners thought the noise a bit loud. Looked in settings but can't find a volume adjust for it.
Has anyone located the beeper and been able to "muffle" it a bit.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Looked in settings but can't find a volume adjust for it.
I know nothing of the Niro but, on my Optima, in the settings menu there is provision to alter the volume level to any of three settings and mine is set to the lowest which is loud enough for me.

·
Super Moderator
6,215 Posts
Never noticed them at all on mine. What year is yours?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know nothing of the Niro but, on my Optima, in the settings menu there is provision to alter the volume level to any of three settings and mine is set to the lowest which is loud enough for me.
Thanks, I will check the settings again but I checked before and it wasn't listed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never noticed them at all on mine. What year is yours?
Mine was registered in January 2021.
I don't find it too loud inside the car but apparently its quite loud when outside the car.
One of the sales staff at the dealers said it may be to warn anyone nearby when reversing in electric mode as obviously there is no engine noise.

·
Super Moderator
6,215 Posts
Mine was registered in January 2021.
I don't find it too loud inside the car but apparently its quite loud when outside the car.
One of the sales staff at the dealers said it may be to warn anyone nearby when reversing in electric mode as obviously there is no engine noise.
Could be something on new models then.
Not got a VESS switch has it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No can't find a VESS switch but searching around it sounds like many others think the beeping when reversing is too loud too.
Apparently the VESS switch is on the plug in model. Have seen comments on the box now placed behind the front bumper and some have disconnected one or two cables to silence the VESS.
Will try and talk to a Technician when next at the dealers.

·
Registered
284 Posts
It only beeps when you reverse in electric and I think because there is no engine noise it just sounds a bit loud.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks.
Its more than a bit loud as neighbours a few doors away keep telling me they know when I am going out.😊
I can see the point of it but it ought to be adjustable in the settings.

·
Registered
Xceed phev
71 Posts
I also do find it very loud. Why is only KIA equipping their electric models with this? Not talking about VESS which has to be installed by law.

·
Registered
160 Posts
When you say 'beeps' do you mean 'bongs'?
When I reverse it makes a bong bong bong sound but what confuses me is that the noise comes from the front of the car, not the rear where it should be!
Also, I can't find anywhere to adjust the volume.

·
Super Moderator
6,215 Posts
I also do find it very loud. Why is only KIA equipping their electric models with this? Not talking about VESS which has to be installed by law.
Because when running at really low speed they are pretty much silent. At least at speed you get tyre and wind noise.

It's only the same as a van or lorry with the reversing sounds. But never heard them on mine. Which always reverses in EV mode.

·
Registered
Xceed phev
71 Posts
Because when running at really low speed they are pretty much silent. At least at speed you get tyre and wind noise.

It's only the same as a van or lorry with the reversing sounds. But never heard them on mine. Which always reverses in EV mode.
The original post is referring to the bong bong bong chimney sound when reversing and not VESS. I would happily have the sound if I was driving a lorry or bin truck.

There is a video online showing how to disable it but will not attempt as this may also disable VESS which is required by law.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, When reversing in my niro 4 self charging hybrid the warning beeps are so loud that neighbours two doors away know when I am reversing down my drive.
Wondered if any other owners thought the noise a bit loud. Looked in settings but can't find a volume adjust for it.
Has anyone located the beeper and been able to "muffle" it a bit.
Thanks
On a 2021 Niro EV the button on the right below steering wheel marked "VESS" stops the engine noise and the reversing beeps .

·
Super Moderator
6,215 Posts
On a 2021 Niro EV the button on the right below steering wheel marked "VESS" stops the engine noise and the revering beeps .
Should not. As it is now mandatory fitment to all EV's for safety.

·
Registered
Niro hybrid 2022
25 Posts
its ok , sounds like a truck .. people still ignore it and walk behind you, at the supermarket, one " batch" of idiots, stopped behind the car and were talking ... rather loudly to get over that beeping ... i honked my horn they looked everywhere bar the car they were standing behind... window down, " MOVE" I asked them ... they were quite upset by that ... and moved... where I used to work, we had a large sign saying do not go past this area ... in bright green .. folk used to duck under the sign to look at the area ... look at the sign we used to say .. what sign .. ?? some people are not the brightest sandwiches in the box.. not matter what noise and signs you have .. but it least it covers you if they get squished!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Should not. As it is now mandatory fitment to all EV's for safety.
@MettaUK is correct. I have a 2021 eNiro 4+ (delivered March) and turning off VESS also turns off the reversing bongs which is very useful. @iooi - Which do you believe is mandatory, VESS, a reversing sound or both?
My wife has just taken delivery on Thursday of her new 71 plate top-spec Peugeot e208 GT Premium and although it has a VESS (though no on/off button AFAIK) it doesn't have any reversing warning sound - to her joy :)

Reactions: MettaUK

·
Super Moderator
6,215 Posts
@MettaUK is correct. I have a 2021 eNiro 4+ (delivered March) and turning off VESS also turns off the reversing bongs which is very useful. @iooi - Which do you believe is mandatory, VESS, a reversing sound or both?
My wife has just taken delivery on Thursday of her new 71 plate top-spec Peugeot e208 GT Premium and although it has a VESS (though no on/off button AFAIK) it doesn't have any reversing warning sound - to her joy :)

Missed the " can be temporarily deactivated by the driver if judged necessary"

Which kind of defeats the whole idea of the system.

·
Registered
2021 E niro 4+ in Black
14 Posts

Missed the " can be temporarily deactivated by the driver if judged necessary"

Which kind of defeats the whole idea of the system.
On my 2021 e-niro 4+ which I took possession of in August they have removed the Vess button so you can't turn it off

1 - 20 of 24 Posts