Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Sportage is due to go back the first week of September, we've decided to investigate returning it early.
We will undoubtedly have to pay 2-3 months payments anyway, but returning now will save us the cost and hassle of:

1. A service that is due in August and I can't see costing under £300
2. An MOT
3. Some excess mileage, as we're close to our limit of 30000 miles.
4. A set of tyres, as they are getting pretty low.

I will report the return process on here for those who are interested, including speed of response to emails etc.
So far I've just started the ball rolling on email, asking Kia finance to get our private plate back onto retention and asking for an early settlement figure.
I will NOT be getting the car valeted, I will make sure it's clean inside and out and that is it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Our Sportage is due to go back the first week of September, we've decided to investigate returning it early.
We will undoubtedly have to pay 2-3 months payments anyway, but returning now will save us the cost and hassle of:

1. A service that is due in August and I can't see costing under £300
2. An MOT
3. Some excess mileage, as we're close to our limit of 30000 miles.
4. A set of tyres, as they are getting pretty low.

I will report the return process on here for those who are interested, including speed of response to emails etc.
So far I've just started the ball rolling on email, asking Kia finance to get our private plate back onto retention and asking for an early settlement figure.
I will NOT be getting the car valeted, I will make sure it's clean inside and out and that is it.
If it is of any help I returned my Niro six months early, leased through Kia Finance, well Hyundai Finance really, well within the permitted mileage, and was not charged for the outstanding months. Not sure if this was because I was leasing another Kia, anyway the dealer bought the car off me for some £5k more than the final payment figure on the lease agreement if I wanted to buy it, settled direct with Kia and used this £5k as deposit on my new car. Was all done in the showroom within 10 minutes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you return early you are not charged for the remaining months.
But they also reduce the return mileage allowance by a pro-rata for the fewer months - so may apply charges if you're over this.
e.g if you leased a car for 3 years on 10,000 miles a year and returned it at month 30 (2.5 years) then the expected mileage would be 25,000 miles, not the full 30,000 you leased it for.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it is of any help I returned my Niro six months early, leased through Kia Finance, well Hyundai Finance really, well within the permitted mileage, and was not charged for the outstanding months. Not sure if this was because I was leasing another Kia, anyway the dealer bought the car off me for some £5k more than the final payment figure on the lease agreement if I wanted to buy it, settled direct with Kia and used this £5k as deposit on my new car. Was all done in the showroom within 10 minutes.
You weren't leasing, you were on PCP.
There's no final payment option on a lease.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
But they also reduce the return mileage allowance by a pro-rata for the fewer months - so may apply charges if you're over this.
e.g if you leased a car for 3 years on 10,000 miles a year and returned it at month 30 (2.5 years) then the expected mileage would be 25,000 miles, not the full 30,000 you leased it for.
Not sure what you mean.
To be clear, our car is leased, not PCP (one message above has confused the two)
If you want to return a lease car early, you may have to pay the final payments - I accept that and I'm fine with it.
Maybe you mean 'voluntary termination', which is something completely different?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mileage was 22500 at the time on a 10,000 mile a year lease. So yes was under the 25000 hence no extra charge levied. Would have been near to 30,000 at the end of the term (November) if it wasn't for lockdown as the car goes to France for some 5 months during the summer.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still no reply from Kia contract hire, also known as ALD Automotive.
Tried phoning, got fed up of being passed around department to department with them all going "ooh that's not one of our references"
In the time waiting for Kia to tell me how to return the car early, the new one is all signed for and I have a delivery date....
Sigh....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Still no reply from Kia contract hire, also known as ALD Automotive.
Tried phoning, got fed up of being passed around department to department with them all going "ooh that's not one of our references"
In the time waiting for Kia to tell me how to return the car early, the new one is all signed for and I have a delivery date....
Sigh....
To be fair, it is only around 2 days since you e-mailed them. Your e-mail may well be in a long list of e-mails waiting to be dealt with. At the present time, most companies are (understandably) inundated with queries / trying to deal with historic queries and also working with limited number of staff at the moment due to staff returning to work / social distancing issues etc. so it really is no surprise you have not as yet received a reply, although I would add that acknowledgment of your e-mail and/or an indication of how long before you get a reply would be courteous.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2 days...we get grief in our business if emails aren't replied to in 2 hours.... o_O
It's not encouraging that we can't get through on the phone at all either.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2 days...we get grief in our business if emails aren't replied to in 2 hours.... o_O
All depends on how big your business is, what is entailed in it and how you may have / not been affected by any lockdown I imagine - if any company had possibly 1000's of (additional) calls and / or e-mails to deal, with a reduced number of staff to deal with them, then any 'normal' lead times to deal with queries would inevitably suffer.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Check your spam folder - mine from ALD / Hyundai go straight in there, no matter how often I tag them as Not Spam

I've found them to be very responsive and helpful - agreed a payment holiday when I asked, no quibble

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still no response, and still not answering phones.
Getting pretty flipping pee'd off now, I tell you..... :mad:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally, an answer....of sorts....!
They acknowledged my request for a figure to put the Sportage back early on Friday late PM, but advised their 'early settlement calculator' is closed for the month....!
So I can't get a settlement figure until the start of July.
Poor poor service.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Still no response, and still not answering phones.
Getting pretty flipping pee'd off now, I tell you..... :mad:
You mentioned in the topic "feathering" that you don't use this forum in your own time but you seem to be a top "contributor" .......during working hours.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Blimey a whole 2 days, don't they realise who they're dealing with?
Every day counts when you want rid before a certain date.
I'm literally against the clock to avoid having to pay for the next service.
Doesn't this strike you as a bit of a weird scenario anyway...?
Imagine phoning your bank and them telling you "sorry, can't advise you your balance for 3 days.."

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if any company had possibly 1000's of (additional) calls and / or e-mails to deal, with a reduced number of staff to deal with them, then any 'normal' lead times to deal with queries would inevitably suffer.
Why would they have additional calls during this period?
Every other company has reported a drop in business, so what's your logic that Kia/ALD have more?
And what would you consider an acceptable response time, because it will be two weeks tomorrow since I asked for a settlement figure and I am still in the dark.
What this actually smacks of is staff 'working' at home....working being very much in inverted commas.....
I'm still working in the office (key worker) but see daily evidence that this 'working at home' is a complete misnomer, productivity and responses go out the window.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think it's fair to say they WILL be experiencing higher call volumes because with so many people losing their jobs or losing 20% of their income due to furlough, suddenly that car on the drive that they're paying for monthly has become a financial millstone round their necks and they either need to get rid (seeing as they're barely using it anyway) or restructure their agreement to make it affordable.
So all Financial Services companies ARE getting additional calls because of so many people being so negatively affected - I am sure ALD will be exactly the same.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts