Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
448 Posts
Not sure but in any case, the HIDs of the 2017 will likely outperform the LEDs of the 2020.
LED light is too white and doesn't light up the road anywhere near as well as the Xenon systems of slightly older cars.

I've got cars with LEDs and others with HID/Xenons and the Xenons are far nicer to drive at night.

One of the reasons I chose a 2017 model when I bought mine (that and the nicer two-tone interior leather)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've had cars with Halogen, HID and LED bulbs.

The Kia LEDs are a big improvement over their halogen headlights, and maybe slightly worse than the Honda I had with HID bulbs, but not much in it.

The best LED headlights I've had are on my MX5, these are fully adaptive and are much better than the HID units I've had in the past and better than the Kia LED units. The LED headlights in the Renault Clio are also excellent.

I've come to the conclusion that the quality of headlights has a lot to do with how much effort they have put into the design.

If it's possible, it's worth it as the LED units will be better than the halogen bulbs you have now.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Previously had a Niro prior to my Sportage. As 137699 said above the Xenon headlights on the Niro were far better then the LED's on my Sportage especially in murky or foggy weather. On saying that my son has a VW Golf GTi and the LED's on that are far superior to the LED's on the Sportage.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that Kia aren't that good at headlights. The Halogen ones on my Cee'd were like a couple of candles.

·
Registered
448 Posts
As I said, the HIDs fitted to the 2017 GT Line S cars are the ones to have.

·
Registered
249 Posts
But even Kia HIDs aren't brilliant compared with others makes.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Bi-Xenons are the best I have ever had on any car but the LEDs on my Optima are pretty good too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm more than happy with the LEDs, they are good in all conditions. I didn't feel safe with the halogen units in the Cee'd, even with uprated bulbs.

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
270 Posts
I bobbed some osram cool blue intense in my halogen units and it improved them quite a bit. I'd love xenon/hid's but can't legally have them without self leveling and washers which I don't have.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
LED bulbs are the future of headlights.
I agree. They seem to tick all the boxes - very low current draw and excellent bright light output plus great reliability.

My Optima was built in 2016 and came equipped with LEDs in every external and internal light on the car. The advent of electric cars will no doubt see LEDs much more commonly used for the qualities I mentioned.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I don't know about self leveling, but they don't need washers.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You can't legally retro fit LED bulbs (or HID for that matter) into a headlamp unit designed for halogen bulbs.

Yes there are plenty of vendors on t'interweb that will sell you retro fit bulbs/kits to do precisely this, however that does not make them legal.
You will likely find they will also pass MOT & not get you stopped by the police - but that also doesn't make them legal.

Have an accident and have the other driver claim they were dazzled by your headlamps and attention will be drawn to them. At which point MOT passes are irrelevant - the only thing that matters in that moment is the Law - and the Law says they're not permitted. Which then means your insurers will very likely exercise the clause that exists in the T&Cs of every insurance policy - which states that it's your responsibility to ensure anything fitted to your car is legal and complies with regulations. The fact that your retro fitted LED or HID bulbs clearly are non-compliant and the other driver is claiming to have been dazzled is enough for them to void your claim & void your policy - leaving you to pick up the bill personally.

Sadly I know of an individual this happened to - in an S-max with retrofitted HIDs in projector headlamp units. They had passed MOTs & he'd never been pulled by police. He even advised his insurers of the modification so you'd think he'd be covered - but the insurers were happy with the modification but only if it was done legally (and retrofitting HID or LED in projectors e-marked for halogen use is not legal).
Other guy claimed he was dazzled & suffered injuries in the accident.
Other guy was awared £330,000 by the court. The S-max onwer's insurance bailed on him and left him to pay himself - resulting in having to sell his house and pay off the remaining debt over 7 years.

The only legal way to upgrade from halogen to LED or HID is to retro-fit the entire system that Kia would have fitted in the factory. Any less and you're leaving yourself open to liability...

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would never bother changing from Halogen to LED on a car, the new units are likely to be expensive and probably not easy to fit.

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
270 Posts
You can't legally retro fit LED bulbs (or HID for that matter) into a headlamp unit designed for halogen bulbs.

Yes there are plenty of vendors on t'interweb that will sell you retro fit bulbs/kits to do precisely this, however that does not make them legal.
You will likely find they will also pass MOT & not get you stopped by the police - but that also doesn't make them legal.

Have an accident and have the other driver claim they were dazzled by your headlamps and attention will be drawn to them. At which point MOT passes are irrelevant - the only thing that matters in that moment is the Law - and the Law says they're not permitted. Which then means your insurers will very likely exercise the clause that exists in the T&Cs of every insurance policy - which states that it's your responsibility to ensure anything fitted to your car is legal and complies with regulations. The fact that your retro fitted LED or HID bulbs clearly are non-compliant and the other driver is claiming to have been dazzled is enough for them to void your claim & void your policy - leaving you to pick up the bill personally.

Sadly I know of an individual this happened to - in an S-max with retrofitted HIDs in projector headlamp units. They had passed MOTs & he'd never been pulled by police. He even advised his insurers of the modification so you'd think he'd be covered - but the insurers were happy with the modification but only if it was done legally (and retrofitting HID or LED in projectors e-marked for halogen use is not legal).
Other guy claimed he was dazzled & suffered injuries in the accident.
Other guy was awared £330,000 by the court. The S-max onwer's insurance bailed on him and left him to pay himself - resulting in having to sell his house and pay off the remaining debt over 7 years.

The only legal way to upgrade from halogen to LED or HID is to retro-fit the entire system that Kia would have fitted in the factory. Any less and you're leaving yourself open to liability...

Yeah I did this in my old car, they were reflector headlights too. To be honest I hated the hids. They were bright but I knew the risk and I took them out after a day and sent them back. Its really not worth the risk.

I actually think I get better results with some uprated halogens in my sportage. They do a good enough job for me. Obviously won't be as good as xenon. But good enough for me.

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,150 Posts
Reactions: Yan101
1 - 18 of 18 Posts