Kia Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
The last battery change I had, the Mechanic connected a 12v motorcycle battery across the terminals before he undid and took out the failed battery.
Most of the ‘memory saver’ hook-ups require a spare battery or leads long enough to reach the battery of another car which isn’t always easy to organise unless one lives in a multi-vehicle household.

I have a mains transformer model in a drawer somewhere made by Gunson which obviates the need for crocodile clips, only needing a 3-pin socket nearby (extension cable?), the other end connecting with the 12v socket in the car. I think I paid a tenner when I bought it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
096 agm is closer to your battery 760amps, there is no problem fitting a larger battery (apart from the price) its just a bigger amount of electricity stored.
This is interesting. Perhaps someone could advise on the following: purchased in Feb as a used car a 2014 Sportage 4 2L diesel Auto with stop/start. Recently after returning from holiday the battery was flat. Had it recharged but it happened again. I have noticed that the battery is a std wet cell battery and not an AGM which may be one reason. However, when I look at new AGM batteries the terminal posts all seem to be configured - ve + ve whereas my battery cables are the other way round. Can you advise a suitable AGM battery that will fit? Many thanks and stay safe! Tony

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
This is interesting. Perhaps someone could advise on the following: purchased in Feb as a used car a 2014 Sportage 4 2L diesel Auto with stop/start. Recently after returning from holiday the battery was flat. Had it recharged but it happened again. I have noticed that the battery is a std wet cell battery and not an AGM which may be one reason. However, when I look at new AGM batteries the terminal posts all seem to be configured - ve + ve whereas my battery cables are the other way round. Can you advise a suitable AGM battery that will fit? Many thanks and stay safe! Tony

Rotate the battery by 180 degrees and the posts will be the other way round :unsure:

Check the manual for the correct type of battery - while it is usual these days for stop/start to be AGM batteries I do not think this is an invariant rule so it may be that yours is designed for a conventional wet cell. 6 years seems not untypical life for a battery - is the one fitted a KIA part or do you think it has been replaced previously?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rotate the battery by 180 degrees and the posts will be the other way round :unsure:

Check the manual for the correct type of battery - while it is usual these days for stop/start to be AGM batteries I do not think this is an invariant rule so it may be that yours is designed for a conventional wet cell. 6 years seems not untypical life for a battery - is the one fitted a KIA part or do you think it has been replaced previously?
My thought also to just turn it around - assuming the connections fit. The battery I have is fairly new (Lucas LP250) and it was fitted by the garage as the one on the car at the time was dead (maybe a theme here?) But after 3 months of infrequent driving and a weeks holiday it was dead. The breakdown guy got me going again but after a few days dead again (maybe it wasn't charged enough). Then I read a statement on the Yuasa website that stated wet cell batteries used in a stop/start vehicle had a tendency to die after 2 to 3 months and that an AGMbattery should be used. Hence my query

·
Registered
260 Posts
does your vehicle actually have stop start ? ie turns its self off at junctions/traffic lights then restarts when you dip the clutch if so then it will require a agm/efb battery. i found an exide el 955 efb listed terminals should be correct way round.
if the car just has a stop start button and dosent turn its self off,then the battery you want is a 334 standard battery the terminals should be the correct way round.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Its an automatic…. I'm sure when you brake to a stop the engine cuts out and then restarts when lift foot off brake. (although you have me wondering- car is not at my home so will need to check). Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
My thought also to just turn it around - assuming the connections fit. The battery I have is fairly new (Lucas LP250) and it was fitted by the garage as the one on the car at the time was dead (maybe a theme here?) But after 3 months of infrequent driving and a weeks holiday it was dead. The breakdown guy got me going again but after a few days dead again (maybe it wasn't charged enough). Then I read a statement on the Yuasa website that stated wet cell batteries used in a stop/start vehicle had a tendency to die after 2 to 3 months and that an AGMbattery should be used. Hence my query

If a car has a charging system intended for AGM batteries then this will shorten the life of a wet cell battery, but not vice versa.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Then I read a statement on the Yuasa website that stated wet cell batteries used in a stop/start vehicle had a tendency to die after 2 to 3 months and that an AGMbattery should be used. Hence my query
Bunkum..acid lead battery fitted to my ISG venga from the day it was delivered 1st Sep 2019 and still going strong to this very day..and I am expecting it to go on for a long time yet..

21 - 30 of 30 Posts