Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the battery on my 15 reg 1.7 diesel sportage, was told today that it's not a simple swap out and that a garage has to reset things on the new one being inserted....is this true ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
43 Posts
What I don't understand is why does KIA need to reset anything. Twice a year I go over to the USA for 3 months at a time, before I leave I disconnect the battery and when I get back I connect it again. Ok I have to reset the Date and time and my average mileage is automatically reset to zero but other than that every thing still works ok. Now if I am disconnecting the battery it is the same as changing the battery so where does Kia come into the equation? Its beyond me!!!!!:unsure:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies .........so conflicting info from garages then ....all i know is that the stop/start batteries are a lot more expensive then the others !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi , the reason was that the cars computer registers the amount of stops and starts and if not programmed can throw up other problems .........its a new one on me as well !

·
Registered
262 Posts
on some cars a new battery has to be registered with the ecu so it can be charged correctly, effectively clearing the memory of all info concerning the old battery so the characteristics of the new battery can be learnt and charged correctly. on some makes of car if you do not register the battery certain functions will not work. kia's system is a self learn and will charge a new battery correctly. (it will know a new battery has been fitted) any data lost in the ecu (on a battery disconnect) will also be relearnt

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
on some cars a new battery has to be registered with the ecu so it can be charged correctly, effectively clearing the memory of all info concerning the old battery so the characteristics of the new battery can be learnt and charged correctly. on some makes of car if you do not register the battery certain functions will not work. kia's system is a self learn and will charge a new battery correctly. (it will know a new battery has been fitted) any data lost in the ecu (on a battery disconnect) will also be relearnt
Possibly correct (I really don't know) but any charging system worthy of the name would quickly discover that the battery is fully charged and adjust or it would risk massively overcharging any battery and possibly boiling it. There is no magic here, the charge state of a healthy battery is directly linked to it's terminal voltage when charging or when discharging (values are slightly different for AGM vs. wet cell batteries). Crikey even the old fashioned dynamo chargers with no electronics at all would charge a battery until it is full and then stop.

OK ISG systems might need a bit of time to discover the state of the battery, but recognise that each time the car starts the system can make no assumptions about the charge state of the battery since it has no way to know what level of discharge has occurred since it was last running.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Swapped the battery over with no problems
Just to be clear, can you confirm that you effected the change without any assistance from a memory-saver?

I have swapped out rather a lot of batteries including the modern gel types and I haven’t broken anything yet. The only nuisance I have experienced is loss of the radio code on a few cars but that’s easily remedied providing it was noted for just such contingencies.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just to be clear, can you confirm that you effected the change without any assistance from a memory-saver?

I have swapped out rather a lot of batteries including the modern gel types and I haven’t broken anything yet. The only nuisance I have experienced is loss of the radio code on a few cars but that’s easily remedied providing it was noted for just such contingencies.
+1..and also did you or hellfrauds fit it you did not say.. just that it was £150 and halfords..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, I would love to know an answer for this one as I need to swap my battery on a 1.7 CRDi Sportage 2013 with start stop and just want to make sure it will work if I swap it over myself.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Our local auto-electrician uses a dongle that plugs in the cigar lighter sockets and retains every setting for everything on the car. As far as I know, he does not charge for fitting, same with bulbs, or it used to be.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The last battery change I had, the Mechanic connected a 12v motorcycle battery across the terminals before he undid and took out the failed battery. Put in and connected up the new one and then disconnected the motorcycle battery. There was no disruption of power to all circuits.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The last battery change I had, the Mechanic connected a 12v motorcycle battery across the terminals before he undid and took out the failed battery. Put in and connected up the new one and then disconnected the motorcycle battery. There was no disruption of power to all circuits.
Yes you can do it that way but this is a far safer way to do it..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Swapped the battery over with no problems , ....now have the stop start working again as well !......£150 from Halfords for AGM battery
Hi, can you please advise what battery name / model was please from Halfords. I went to Kwik Fit today and they said that my current battery was 640AH and they ones they had were AGM115 800AH, an were relucant to replace it becasue of the difference in AH.

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
262 Posts
096 agm is closer to your battery 760amps, there is no problem fitting a larger battery (apart from the price) its just a bigger amount of electricity stored.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts