Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Does anyone know how to change the auto transmission fluid on a 2007 Sedona 2.9CRDI auto ?? and how much all it takes?

I have had so many different answers on this, it was bad enough trying to find some SP-111 spec oil,
Carlube do a fluid that meets the SP-111 specs

http://www.carlube.co.uk/index.cfm?product=153

On the later cars (2006 on) will the drain plug in the bottom of the transmission drain all / most of the oil??

1 Kia dealer told me i would need 10Ltrs for the oil change, another told my 7, the auto parts shop that sold the oil said, it is only 2 litrs ?????

I have drained the oil, added 2 litres, then more, then more ended up putting 4 litres in, but its hard to read the dipstick as it is splashed all over it......... i read the older pre 2006 took 2 litrs for oil change.

I bought a workshop manual (PDF) and that tells me 8.2litres???????

How hard can it be.............?? all i want to do is change my trans oil, now i see why most people dont bother

Cheers
Steve

Edited by: DeepSix

·
Registered
249 Posts
No, draining it you'll only get about 3 litres out. I'm told you then top up with 3 more litres then remove the pipe to the oil cooler & extend it with a hose to a bucket . Using a large funnel that will fit in to the dipstick hole get all the remaining ready to put in . Get someone to start engine in neutral on tickover & the old oil will come out of the hose whilst you pour it in the dipstick. Another method is to remove both oil cooler pipes , discharge to the waste bucket & put the new oil in a garden sprayer ( a clean one !! ) , pressurise it & connect to the oil cooler return line whilst your helper starts engine. 7,6 litres is what I'm told it holds. Try getting SP III here in Spain!! Even the Kia dealer uses Dexron III. I'm probably going to get Carlubes ATF-U sent over, it's still cheaper than Dexron III here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
The confusing thing is that everytime i dip the oil the reading on the stick makes no sense........
Splashed up one side of the dip stick, and not a consistant level on the other......

I added another 1/2 litre the weekend but still does not show properly on the dip stick, so after a drain plug only oil change, i have added 4.5litres of oil???

I as told by the auto parts store that it was 2 litres, but after starting the motor and running through the box with lound clunks comming out of park........... so kept adding oil, i dont want to over fill.....

Car drive perfect now but still cant make sense of the dipstick and want to get a definative answer on this..........

It has taken longer to sort this than it did to do a full sevice and fix a blowing injector!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
hi iam a newbie could any body tell me how to get the arm rest off 06 serdona please i know that the bottom back cornour zips open to allow you to get it off but cannot make out if its a nut or alun key etc thanks brian

·
Registered
662 Posts
Deep six allways look at the side thats lower, amount will varie per car it depends how much oil was in the converter when you drained the oil to get the most out drain it after the car has been stood overnight as the coverter will allow some fliud drain back also disconnect the cooler hose and allow to drain but do not start the car as this can damage the stator as its then unsupported by the fluid in the converter

Brian specsavers are doing a two for one offer howerver if you unzip the cover pull back the foam remove the foam plug and undo the 14mm BOLT

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Viking, i was confused because i never seem to get the same reading and was concerned about putting in too much fluid, it was just splashed on to both sides, even when i went from 2ltr t0 4.5ltr it didnt make much difference.

The only conclusion i can draw is that when the fluid was low something was causing the fluid to splash up.
i was frustrated that all the dealers i called gave me a different answer none of them seemed to know for sure.
However for anyone in the midlands "Warwick Kia" have been the most helpful..........

I will run the car for a few miles then do an oil cooler drain as you said.
Cheers

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it would appear that from a "sump only" tranny oil change, you need at least 5ltrs of fluid this has put the fluid halfway (ish) up the dipstick.................

·
Registered
249 Posts
Now I was reading on another forum that this model is prone to lack of lubrication to the top gearbox bearing & it's advisable to have the level 1" above the full mark. When I bought mine it was at that level ( had just been replaced ) & that's the level it's kept at.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Rubbish the sump is coverd by the valve body so no oil can get splashed any where
all auto's pump oil around the box all bearings get pressure or splash fed from this pumped supply threre are two 1" drain holes from the gearbox case back into the sump and no rotating parts touch the oil in the sump only thing you will achieve by overfilleng the gearbox is a early failure of the sump gasket because it will be swimming in oil most auto box failures are because the oil overheats (lack of oil or towing with out cooler) then the oil burns off causing low oil levels an oil that too thin to lubricate the bearings correctley thats why there is a specific oil for sedona and sorento auto's

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi LadsIm going to change my ATF at the weekend an after reading all of the above I can see it can be a mine field of mistakes but now I think I know how much to put back in.
The reason I am changing the fluid is I am trying to cure a jerky take off or its like a judder at idle in gear, if you can imagine being in traffic stop start, stop start without pressing the throttle itis just not smooth but if you use the throttle it pulls away fine, smooth and with plenty of power but as you come to a stop or pull away without accelerating the judder is there........ANY IDEAS
BYTHE WAY I FORGOT TO MENTION ITS A 2006 2.9CRDI AUTO

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well I've just drained my ATF from the plug and got approx 3.5l out.Now to get the rest out do I disconnect and extend one of the ATF cooler hoses situated in front of the radiator? if so which one or both and do I start the engine in neutral or not?? Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts