Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Kia Sportage 2013 1.7 Diesel engine lost power and the engine started ticking when running.

Took it immediately to the local garage who found, upon inspection, that there was a o-ring broken on the injector causing the ticking and a hole in the rocker cover which was spewing oil everywhere. (Shown in pic)
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive wheel system

Eye Automotive tire Wood Grey Bicycle part

The garage have told me to replace the rocker cover they've had to remove (and damage in the process as they were ceased tight) all of the injectors. I've sourced refurbished Injectors from Germany and had them shipped over to reduce costs as they were £300 each from Kia but now they can't get the rocker cover. Its on back order with kia apparently.

Searching the Internet i can't seem to find any 2nd hand either.

Can anyone help locate one?

Thanks.

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
435 Posts
Local scrapyard? Nothing on ebay but perhaps if you contact the seller of ebay items 393993733090 or 363710584597 they might be able to help as they refurb diseasel engines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I'll try that. I'm still at a loss as to how that tiny hole got there in the first place. It's very strange. I've also messaged a couple of sellers that are selling cars and they ask that you message them for parts.

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
435 Posts
Maybe a self tapping screw and some JB weld might do, but without seeing the damage, I''s a guess.

·
Registered
2012 Sporatge 2.0 CRDi KX-3
81 Posts
I'm a bit lost...

The ticking is obviously a blown injector seal, which is made of copper and by no stretch could be called an 'o' ring... I suspect that the injector seal (copper washer) failed and basically glued the injector in to the head with a hard tar like substance.... This is a very common problem with Mercedes CDI diesel engines, known as the 'Black Death' and the best way to get the injectors out is to run the engine until it's hot, not warm, hot with the fan kicking in. Then with the correct extractor tool you can remove the injector, with a fight. Anyone reading this and thinking of replacing injector seals, take note, the hotter the engine the easier it will be.

I know that sounds counter intuitive, but trust me I spent 3 days trying to remove an injector from a Mercedes ML270, and in desperation I ran the engine for over an hour on tick over, with no clamp on the injector, hoping that the engine would blow it out.... it didn't and I had to use a slide hammer for neatly an hour to get the blighter out! When the engine is hot the Black death is a sticky tar like substance, but when it's cold it sets solid and looks like coal, only harder!!

So back to the problem.. hole in rocker cover.. I suspect that this was caused during the removal of the injector, and good luck proving that.
If it is only a small hole that is the problem JB Weld is most definitely the best thing to use, but I wouldn't use a self tapping screw... not needed and I think that you'd have clearance problems with the rocker cover seal which is directly below the damage. Personally I'd thoroughly clean the area and check that there are no cracks in the cover. If all is good then lightly assemble the cover and fill the hole with some JB Weld and leave to set. Disassemble and see if the repair can be reinforced with some more JB Weld making sure that it wont interfere with any thing else. Then assemble and use! JB Weld is the best thing for the job, but it does like to be applied to clean, oil free, surfaces.

If there is a crack then clean the area and smother with JB Weld, if you can clean the area back to metal then it will stick better, but if the paint is like stove enamel just try and scratch it up a bit.

I did a temporary repair to a holed sump on an X Trail, it had been fitted with the wrong engine and as a result the exhaust rubbed a hole in the side of the sump. I got a new sump and dropped the old one only to find the new one was a different shape, and it was Saturday afternoon, and I needed to use the car on Monday for work.... In desperation I cleaned the sump on the inside and JB Welded it on the paint, as it was too hard to remove and the same on the outside, reassembled and waited for 24 hours.... Filled the engine with oil and used the car, expecting it to start leaking again in a few days.... 14 months later I scrapped the car, having never fitted the correct sump as the temporary repair had held!

·
Registered
2012 Sporatge 2.0 CRDi KX-3
81 Posts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts