Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have the trunk lid seal replaced. However, since I didn't found the genuine part, I have put an aftermarket one. Since the placement, the door needs to be slammed in order to latch properly. Do you think that somehow the seal will be softened? May this destroy the trunk door? The mechanic told me that in the future the rubber will take the shape of the lid and get softer. Greek heat contributes to this too.

Furthermore, the seal has some holes in order for the air to escape. In the genuine part, the holes are located in the outer side of the seal, in this one the holes are on the inner side of the seal. May this lead to a problem?

·
Registered
272 Posts
The holes being on the inside won't be a problem when closing as far as evacuating the trapped air goes.
Are you sure the new seal is the correct way around.? Perhaps the original had the holes outside to evacuate water outside the car, not inside.
The seal probably will take the correct shape though it may take a while depending on how soft or hard the after market seal is.
Slaming is probably OK, though be careful with the window glass. It will probably affect the lock catch the most. That could be adjustable so that you could let the door sit a little higher until the seal gets more flattened thus avoiding having to slam it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure because I've asked the mechanic and told me that this way it is and the holes are inside just to avoid getting water. Furthermore the seal is a closed loop and the water cannot escape I guess...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an idea but you might try adjusting the slam bumpers in a little to let the door move more.
Ι've adjusted them. No result. I've ordered the genuine part. Unfortunately, the trunk got again water, which came behind the bumper. The cause is the trunk lid. When I close the trunk, the water is expelled on the spare tire well.
The old rubber seal was worn. I hope that with the new one the car will not get water inside the spare tire well. Till then, I just not open the trunk :(

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dunno on the Ceed but often there is also some adjustment possible with either the lock or the latch or both.
Ι've tried everything (latch and lock). The rubber seal seems too high for the Ceed. My concern now is whether the genuine one will allow water ingress on the spare tire well.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Where is the water coming from?
Is the following correct?
1. Water on outside of the car but no water inside.
2. Open trunk
3. Close trunk and water is ejected from inside the hollow seal into the trunk?

If you spray water around the trunk, does the seal leak?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The three points are correct. However when I spray with the hose no water inside the trunk. Just watering ejecting when opening the trunk door. The problem is more prominent when the car is parked uphill.

It seems the water comes from the area around the right corner and joint of the bumper and the seal.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will get photos later on. The origina seal was replaced because it was worn and some water seems to ingress in the spare tire well from underneath the seal, when it is parked uphill.

·
Registered
272 Posts
So both the new and the old seal leak? Are you sure it is the seal and not a tail light, window glass, roof antenna or similar? Fuel filler area, top of shock absorbers are sealed in there too.
I would have thought the seal ejecting a few drops now and then would not amount to much.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I have had the car checked. The tail lights, the rear air vents were resealed and the water ingress was minimized. However, still there is a small ingress that came from the seal. The old seal was very worn out and torn up. With the old seal, the water seems to come behind the doorstep of the trunk, and the water accumulated in the spare tire well. This was more acute when the car was parked uphill. However, the trunk seal was dry.

I have decided to change the seal. Unfortunately, I found only aftermarket one. After yesterday's rain here, and the car parked uphill, I opened the trunk and I saw water both on the trunk seal (the new one) and in the spare tire well. I went to the mechanic and we checked it. We removed everything from inside the trunk, the mechanic sat inside and I was poured water on the trunk on various spots. No ingress at all, we checked everything. Just after opening the trunk, he noticed that the water was ejected behind the doorstep at the right corner of the trunk. So, it may be accumulated behind the seal.

The case is more or less similar to this one

However, in my case, water is much less.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've searched and I didn't find it. So I ordered the new, genuine one.
Could it be just the seal???

·
Registered
813 Posts
I've searched and I didn't find it. So I ordered the new, genuine one.
Could it be just the seal???
I'm not certain to be honest, hopefully the one you ordered isn't too expensive.

Here's an example online of a used one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not certain to be honest, hopefully the one you ordered isn't too expensive.

Here's an example online of a used one.

Thanks, the price is more or less double this. I would like also to ask if you believe that this may be the source of water ingressing the boot. Note, only parked uphill!!!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Thanks, the price is more or less double this. I would like also to ask if you believe that this may be the source of water ingressing the boot. Note, only parked uphill!!!
I'm assuming you are from Greece and there's not much rain about at this time of year?

I'd probably open the rear hatch and start a slow & steady flow of water at the top of the rear hatch (if you have a hose that would be the best thing) make sure the water is flowing down and around the seal externally. If you see it pooling at the bottom and then going through into the wheel well it's likely that there's a problem with the way the seal is fitted.

If no water gets though, then move to the lights etc.

My GF has a honda Jazz and they have a problem in the roof, at the rear, under a rubber trim that allows water ingress. It's in a place you'd never think to look...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts