Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

We've got a Kia Picanto Zapp 56 plate, and it has recently been playing up. When the ignition is turned to start the car it doesn't start straight away, usual 3-4 trys are required for it to start.

The car has been MOT'd and serviced with no apparent faults found (spark plugs have been changed).

I googled the problem and apparently its a known KIA issue with the transponder aerial in the the ignition barrel. Apparently when you turn the electrics on, there is a light on the dashboard which lights up (a small orange car with a key inside it) indicating that the key has been recognised. I believe the part costs around £15-25 and I'm planning on fitting the part myself.

Can someone please tell me how difficult removing the old transponder is and any instructions if possible.

Plus - does this sound like a good solution if anyone out there has experienced the same problem.

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi

My old Picanto LX 2005 had this problem and my hubby replaced the part himself - don't know how tricky it is and can't remember the price of the part but it worked fine after that. Mine wouldn't turn over as know one told me about the little key on the dashboard when I purchased the car from new, so I wasn't making sure thekey on the dashboardwent out!! So I thought the battery was going but we checked and it was fine, it was only when we went to a garage and put the car on an testing machine that the mechanic mentioned about the key. I would get it changed.

Rachel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rachel,

Thanks for the post, we've managed to get the part for the picanto. We asked for a transponder antenna but they didn't know what we we're on about, apparently its technical name is a 'transponder coil'.

A local garage mechanic changed the part and ever since then the car has started up without a problem. Hopefully this might come in handy for anyone else who experiences the problem in the future.

Cheers.

·
Registered
437 Posts
It is the "antenna coil" to be exact, it is a common problem on picantos, not so easy to fit.... one screw and two pins to change in the connector, may need to remove lower dash panel to gain better access.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This was great help. I never even wondered what the dash light was. I have 14 Picantos, one had an intermittent starting prob. This cured it after living with it for months on end!Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Terry - I'm having the same problem with my 2008. I'm also wanting to sell my car so would rather not have this issue if someone came to view it!

I've got to admit I know nothing about replacing parts - what's my best option here, take it to my Kia dealer or to a local garage?

Thanks everyone.

Emma.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,this might help,spoke to my local dealer,they quoted £35.00 for the coil and £55.00 to fit 1 hours work,but he told me to check that I was not leaving the key in the ignition when the engine was stopped,like when I filled up with fuel,he said they time out sometimes 30 seconds some time 1 min,always take the key out,then put it back after 10 seconds,so it can reset itselve this worked for me.have now sold the car to a very happy lady £2600. Terry. by the way the dealer is in Swineshead,Boston Lincolnshire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts