Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just acquired a 2003 RIO. Excellent Car! Sadly the key is cracked and I feel that within the next few months I shall have to replace it. I am disabled and would like to pay as little as possible for this. Has anyone had this problem or can anyone offer advice.

Frank

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hi Frank,
My 2003 Rio has 2 keys, one with the remote central lock and one without. The key without the remote operates everything fine, so if you don't want the expense of the remote function, most car key cutting places should be able to do it quite cheaply. For a remote key, best to ask Viking Paul on the "Club Discounts" section of the forum.

Edited by: M4trundler

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Go to the top of the class Phil you are correct.
All keys have a chip in them if there is an immobiliser fitted to the car.

·
Registered
662 Posts
all rio keys have transponders if you pm me with your reg number i will tell you a price and part number key will need to be programmed to the car if your key is cracked replace it ASAP its a lot cheaper than a steering lock and key

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
M4 I remember seeing one on a Fiat key when my daughter broke hers and its quite a small chip/transponder. I think it was only about 5mm long by about 2mm diameter. This is put into the key when the plastic is molded around the metal part of key. If the key has the lock unlock buttons you can usually see it when replacing the battery.
This is how she broke her key, She put her 6 year old daughter into the front passenger seat on her booster cushion then came round to drivers side door which the window was down and leaned in and inserted the key in the ignition and started the car, unknown to her it was in gear with hanbrake off and it drove off with grandaughter screaming like mad
, daughter ran after car and wrenched the key out of ignition and in the process broke the plastic bit of the metal key. I can laugh about it know but it was a bit of a shock to me and the daughter and granddaughter at the time. Silly moo she was.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Don't worry Davy, I've done worse in the past!

I'm really suprised about the old Rio having a transponder chip...I want to get my drill out now and have a look for it!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts